Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just finished a bow hunt and read Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark, from cover to cover over 10 days.
Just thought I would start increasing some knowledge about the African writers from yesteryear.

Guess, I'm looking for the next one.What was your favorite African book?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Horn of the Hunter is one of my favorites. Read it several times. J.A. Hunter is another favorite.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Peter Capstick, and his series of old books he has revived! He has done more to show case African hunting with his books, than any other writer of recent times. They are remarkable reads! And yes, some times he spreads it a little thick, but he does a good job of it!
Read them, trust me , you will like them!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Pondoro

Presidents 100-'97
Distinguished Rifleman-'81
NRA Benefactor
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For today's hunting, most of the old Africana isn't helpful. Craig Boddington is more applicable, but there's really nobody that captures the imagination like Capstick did, at least for folks heading to Africa now. If we are talking books about "the olden days", Ruark's "Horn of the Hunter" is hard to beat. "Green Hills of Africa" is fine, emotional reading (provided one knows it is about Hemingway's view of life and hunting more than Africa.)

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Favorite? Without a doubt, it was Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass". That book started my quest, and ultimately got me to go to Africa, twice. grin

maddog

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Gents, not too worried about it being spread on too thick. I can only laugh at at some of the claims.
There were a couple of places that I questioned in Horn of the Hunter as well.
One particular, was that his Waterbuck had 6" ivory tips. I've shot my fair share of Waterbuck with my hunters, and have yet to hunt/or see one with ivory tips.
Anyone out there maybe taken one, or seen a photo of one like this?

Think I'll try Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass" next. It's popped up a couple of times.

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 11/02/15.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by maddog
Favorite? Without a doubt, it was Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass". That book started my quest, and ultimately got me to go to Africa, twice. grin

maddog

Without a doubt for me. Hooked me forever.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bell of Africa

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Bell of Africa

+1

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Another for 'Chapstick' ...Series. Hard to put down, enjoyable, thick or not.

---mis spelled on purpose-- JFYI

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by maddog

maddog

Without a doubt for me. Hooked me forever.

Count me in, too. His "Death in the..." series that followed the original trickled out pretty quick, but the first volume, "Long Grass" was without question an exciting book and for a young and relatively green hunter when I first read it in the 70's, it was inspirational.

Since then I've read almost everything extant on African hunting, and re-reading Capstick now is like going back to read old Batman or Superman comics... it's overwritten to a degree, IMHO.

The older authors (John Patterson, John "Pondoro" Taylor, and Robert Ruark, etc) are by far the best in my view. Frederick Selous's book is ponderous to the modern reader, I'm afraid.. but if you can plod through his dull prose, the stories he tells are pretty damn good. Ditto Bell.

The modern writers tend to be too much in the "How-To-DIY" genre, which is deadly dull unless you're a noob to African hunting lore. And Craig Borington, well, let's just say I've stopped buying his bought-and-paid-for advertisments... er, I mean his "books". Among the newer crop of authors, I have found Kevin Robertson's stories pretty good reading, but he's not exactly a prolific author.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
All of Jim Corbett's books are fine reading.

And Ruark's "Something of Value" is a good read also.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Elgin Gates- Trophy Hunter in Africa, if you can find a copy. Also James Mellon- African Hunter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own and have read all of the ones metioned above. All great reads. One that you might not have run across is Killers in Africa by Aexander Lake. Well written and very entertaining. Probably some embellishment in it, but still a good read.

If any of you want something out of the usual, hunt for books by Daniel P. Mannix. Hunting as if told by Ian Fleming.

Chui - Back when Bell of Africa was out of print, I spent two days in the NYC Public Library devouring it. Great read!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Thanks Gents, not too worried about it being spread on too thick. I can only laugh at at some of the claims.
There were a couple of places that I questioned in Horn of the Hunter as well.
One particular, was that his Waterbuck had 6" ivory tips. I've shot my fair share of Waterbuck with my hunters, and have yet to hunt/or see one with ivory tips.
Anyone out there maybe taken one, or seen a photo of one like this?

Think I'll try Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass" next. It's popped up a couple of times.

They can gete white tips up north of you. My dad got one in northern Cameroon that was bleaching out at the tips. Not 6" by any stretch.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
George Hoffman's "A Country Boy in Africa".

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Haven't found one to top Horn of the Hunter.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by minnmarcus
Peter Capstick, and his series of old books he has revived! He has done more to show case African hunting with his books, than any other writer of recent times. They are remarkable reads! And yes, some times he spreads it a little thick, but he does a good job of it!
Read them, trust me , you will like them!

Cue the "tear Capstick apart" chorus. (I don't belong.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
since everyone covered the well known I'll throw in a more obscure one thats easy to get for sub $30(some African books get expensive)

Buffalo, Elephant and Bongo by Reinald von Meurers

points going for it:
#1 its modern Africa not an Africa no one has access to anymore

#2 covers hunting most don't, in the jungle

#3 the guy has done a couple dozen "Do It Yourself" hunts and thats what the book is about....for the guys that think modern Africa is being lead around its a hell of an eye opener.

I also like anything Tony Sanchez-Arino writes and "From the Okavango to the Plains of East Africa" and "From the Congo Basin to the Highlands of Ethiopia" by Steve Christenson which include more DIY as well as normal PH lead hunts....only problem is Safari Press did not release trade editions, only limited editions of these two but I thought they were well worth the money...love the description for the second book:

Sudan, Ethiopia, Central African Republic, and Liberia give new meaning to exotic and difficult safari destinations. If you want to know what it’s really like to battle a stifling rain forest for bongo or a blistering savanna for giant eland or a lofty moorland for mountain nyala, this is your book. Christenson also depicts an unprecedented adventure into the Red Sea Hills for Nubian ibex and a self-guided expedition to “hell on earth” for ultra-rare West African trophies. In the author’s second volume, he tackles the most difficult specialty safaris, and each adventure is described in vivid detail. As Tommy Caruthers noted in his foreword, “I felt as though I was in a surround-sound setting, experiencing the adventures in real-time with all the joy and excitement of each day’s hunt.”

These hunts often come with a price: gaboon vipers, mamba bed mates, killer hordes of ants, ambushes in the Danakil Desert, sabotage by Hadendowa warriors, and marauding poachers from Darfur. You’ll want to find out why legendary Ethiopian professional hunter Thomas Mattanovich called their hunt the most memorable of his illustrious career. Why would the redoubtable Bob Speegle call his safari with Christenson the closest thing he’d ever done to committing suicide? How was that Beth Jones came to be initiated into the secret Sande sorority of Grebo Forest women? Why would Fred Fortier declare, “A rat that size could make for some good stick meat.”

The reader is taken across Africa in search of adventure as the author and his compatriots enjoy the time of their lives. Whether they are unearthing Neolithic artifacts in the Awash Valley, daring a late-night visit to the local Bangui ivory poacher, or masquerading in Arab garb to enter the Omdurman slave market, there is never a dull moment. Hunting in these countries more closely resembles expeditions into the wildest recesses of Africa, and it provided some of the most memorable adventures in the hunters’ lives.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,721
Posts18,475,781
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.