Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Best thread ever.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that the logic of the old saying, "All roads lead to Rome", applies here.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I now understand, answer a question in a civil manner and you become a turd magnet. I am amazed that so many well informed decent people continue to post.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
SSS DD

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I now understand, answer a question in a civil manner and you become a turd magnet. I am amazed that so many well informed decent people continue to post.

mike r

Because not everyone chooses to behave in a decent manner?

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Curious why you go out the way to avoid the question about the number of rounds you shoot per year.

GFY

David

David, strictly asking out of curiosity....... Are you of the mindset that he who shoots the most rounds per year is a more effective hunter/killer?

JG

No, I'm not saying that.

David

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks Stick, for the tutorial. The pictures are certainly helpful in understanding the concepts.

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Wow. Some people are passionate about this subject. Thanks to those who helped. I still don't know what kind of scope to get though! I did get the Elk, dropped in his tracks.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blairvt
Wow. Some people are passionate about this subject. Thanks to those who helped. I still don't know what kind of scope to get though! I did get the Elk, dropped in his tracks.
[Linked Image]

Nice!

I would make the observation that some people giving advice also posted pictures with their elk.

Some, well.......

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Best thread ever.

I thought it was pretty good myself! grin

The technical discussions were what I found interesting. Killing elk at 400 yards if the distance is known is not a real trick and even a lowly 4X scope will pull it off nicely....IF the shooter is intimately familiar with elk and the trajectory of the load at that distance.But there are limits to doing things that way.

There is no doubt these modern scopes put a different slant on things,and make the process a WHOLE lot simpler.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Shrap

Its pretty comical hearing about your vast experience and you are incapable of using turrets.

What was that line at the end of that movie again?

"I said I didn't have much use for one. I didn't say I didn't know how to use one."

You are making the assumption that someone can't do something based off a statement that they prefer to do something else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should write a book.

Come to think of it, you just did.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by goalie

Shrap

Its pretty comical hearing about your vast experience and you are incapable of using turrets.

"I said I didn't have much use for one. I didn't say I didn't know how to use one."

You are making the assumption that someone can't do something based off a statement that they prefer to do something else.

Tom Selleck's famous line in Quigley Down Under.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
[Linked Image]

Nice!

I would make the observation that some people giving advice also posted pictures with their elk.

Some, well.......

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Shrap

....yip, yip, yip...

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by smokepole
Best thread ever.

I thought it was pretty good myself! grin

The technical discussions were what I found interesting. Killing elk at 400 yards if the distance is known is not a real trick and even a lowly 4X scope will pull it off nicely....IF the shooter is intimately familiar with elk and the trajectory of the load at that distance.But there are limits to doing things that way.

There is no doubt these modern scopes put a different slant on things,and make the process a WHOLE lot simpler.

I don't know, to me it almost makes things more complicated as there are so many different choices out there and several proven ways of connecting at longer range that are each very different.

I think the OP needs to first define a budget, secondly decide if he wants to spin turrets or use a ballistic reticle. After that we could discuss variable scopes vs fixed, first focal plane vs second focal plane and so on...

No matter which way the OP goes, nothing will substitute for time spend at the range.

JMHO

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[Linked Image]

Nice!

Some, well.......

[Linked Image]

Niiiice

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Shrap

....yip, yip, yip...

David

Maybe it comes down to field credibility and Shrapnel has it in spades.

All roads lead to Rome, there are many ways to skin a cat, whatever other cliche that says that, in most cases, there isn't just one right way to do anything.

Or so it seems to me.

That said, all of my elk have been shot at under 200+/- yards, so hold-over or dialing in elevation was never an issue. Besides, wouldn't turrets be out of place on a Remington 760?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

....yip, yip, yip...

David

Funny. It doesn't address your logical fallacy, but it is funny.

Got any pics of your elk hunting successes?

Me, now, I don't hunt other than in the woods, and spinning turrets would make as much sense as, well, listening to you say that someone "can't" use turrets because they choose to use a reticle for their hunting.......

Spinning works. So does holding-over with a reticle. They are not mutually exclusive, and, it can be argued that neither one is ideal for all conditions. Especially since we're talking hunting, not punching paper or rocks.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Shrap

....yip, yip, yip...

David

Maybe it comes down to field credibility and Shrapnel has it in spades.

All roads lead to Rome, there are many ways to skin a cat, whatever other cliche that says that, in most cases, there isn't just one right way to do anything.

Or so it seems to me.

That said, all of my elk have been shot at under 200+/- yards, so hold-over or dialing in elevation was never an issue. Besides, wouldn't turrets be out of place on a Remington 760?

I didn't realize this was a popularity contest. Or an elk hunting thread.

The guy asked for help with being able to shoot longer distances cause he realized he wasn't prepared on his last trip. I made a recommendation that he hold off buying a new boomer or the most expensive ballistic reticle available on the market until he spent a little time getting comfortable shooting longer ranges and suggested the cheapest way possible that I know of to accomplish same.

Then the guy who sends more rounds down range than 99.99% of the posters on the forum starts in on me about how ridiculous the practice suggestion is and I don't know anything about it cause I'm in Louisiana. Then the recommends the same guy that doesn't know what he's doing buy an even bigger, harder recoiling magnum and a scope that is one of the schittiest tracking scopes made (wonder why he considers turret twisting so "risky").

David

Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (257wthbylover, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 16 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,669
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.