Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Congrats Thomas, you did well on that rifle at $975!

Did rings come with it?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boomer, Cool thread! Here is my 17 Remington...Unfortunately, It’s from the Kimber of America location. I’ve heard stories that rifles coming out of this facility were “hit or miss”...Thankfully, mine has always been an excellent varmint rifle...

I knew a mechanic at Don Rasmussen BMW back in the late 80’s named Dave who’s wife was either an engraver or checker for KoO. They both hunted a lot together. He would bring in some of his Kimbers to show me the quality being turned out from KoO. I remember when he said Kimber was closing. Sad day for sure.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

If any heartache develops, please GFY.

Some things just need to be quoted. That made me LMFAO.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68
It was my 50th Birthday on Saturday and I spent the day working at my wife's Christmas Bazaar and doing chores. I checked a LGS and found a Kimber 89 BGR Superamerica in 338 in the box unfired for 975.00. I thought about it over night and decided that that probably was a good deal. I looked it over and it appears in good order so shazam it went home with me. I am at school so I can't post photos but I can tonight. The LGS owner thought that I should flip it for $300.00 profit. I thought oh hell with that. Its hard to find anything with nice wood these days and it was a looker as well. I put a post in GunWriters because I trust Steve Timm's experience with them. I am not going to rush out and set it up for tomorrow but it is a project that hopefully will pay dividends in the future.

Thomas

Interesting perspective considering Steve's experience with Kimber of Oregon ended prior to the production of the Model 89. smile

Please post up some pics. A Super for $975 is absolutely stealing! Less than when new 28-29 years ago! Congrats. BTW Although my 270 Model 89 BGR Super America is finicky accuracy wise, it functions flawlessly and is damned smooth.... A joy to own as I hope yours will be as well.

Here it is trying some 140s....
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nothing wrong with those Kimber of America rifles circa 1994-1996. Very low production numbers, really more of a custom rifle IMO. I shaped a few dozen of that era but got put to work doing handyman stuff, for a while... The website started back then, the KimberAmerica domain name went to Yonkers too and remains the same for the current Kimber Manufacturing Co. I may be the only one who notices but Scheels current hang tags say Kimber of America on them! Fluted barrels were pretty snazy back then. Same time frame as the Swedish Mauser sporterizing, 1911 prototyping, and Warne was making the Premier line and expirimenting with sintered alloys.... The stocks were inlet on a router duplicator with lots of hand work vs the earlier Kimber of Oregon that had a shaping machine called a Zukerman and were inlet with a CNC mill. Very likely to have initials JF inside? Thanks for sharing.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
No Rings. I am new to the whole post photo bucket world so hand with me. Just have 1 picture but will add others. It has a SF60XX serial number.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by kaboku68; 11/27/18.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
ttt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice rifle...Congrats and happy 5O 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Just for conversation. Kaboku68's is earlier than mine (below). I am throwing out a guess that it's barrel marked Clackamas? Or not? LOL

Gosh, what a score for that price. Looks like it's barely been out of the box. Really cool.

Look at the length of the grip, more hook to it and the greater height behind the grip on the later production, barrel-marked Colton. Sure, mine has that flashy grain but it checked...... Anyways, that little difference in three dimensional space of where the grip cap ended up effected the outcome, feel and shape of the grip, trigger reach, overall size, how the checkering could layout etc. That was the evolution of the 89 stock. The bosses were always having us try a little of this, a little of that...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
So the gun is marked Colton but the box is marked Clackamas. The paperwork has a serial number BGR160 which is covered and replaced with SF60XX. It also a combination of stuff that has Clackamas address and Colton Address.It also has an envelope that has a marketing survey addressed to Clackamas address. My guess is that it is early Colton.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
So the gun is marked Colton but the box is marked Clackamas. The paperwork has a serial number BGR160 which is covered and replaced with SF60XX. It also a combination of stuff that has Clackamas address and Colton Address.It also has an envelope that has a marketing survey addressed to Clackamas address. My guess is that it is early Colton.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well, so much for my guess! LOL

I mentioned earlier I think, how KoO expanded the operation greatly when they got the Army Mod 82 contract. This included maximazing available space in Clackamas and opening up a facility in Colton, like 20 miles away in later 1987 IIRC. After several months or a year, I think I guessed at the timeframe previously, Greg Warne was pretty happy with how the Colton plant came together with all stockwork, bolt assembly, final assembly, CS, and shooting that he changed the barrel stamp to say Colton. We Colton folk thought it pretty cool. As production increased, and refinements to the new Model 89 stock progressed we started upping the work on the 82s and 84s, finer checkering was one thing....Till doors shut in 1991 both Clackamas and Colton operated...

In 1994, the new Kimber of America opened up in the same industrial park in Clackamas, next to and alongside Warne. In late 1994, once again expanded to the same building in Colton for two purposes, the Swede Mauser project and to get the dusty woodshop away from Jack's CNCs! smile

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 11/28/18.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The 1985 Collector's pamphlet. Thanks Nick!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That is good stuff. Thanks for posting it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You're welcome.

In the lower right of this picture is an 82 Super America with a 'scalloped' step, or point.... Prior to '88 they'd stopped making them like that. However, in '89 or '90 we did a run of roughly 50? or so with that feature. May have been on the run featuring Schnabel-like forearms...

Inspiration many years later, it's a good way to retain lines while trimming away unnecessary depth - at any price point....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
As you may know, I recently picked up a LH 22 Hornet so this thread has been extremely interesting to me.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
As you may know, I recently picked up a LH 22 Hornet so this thread has been extremely interesting to me.

Hope it's a good one. Let us know...

--- Kid Rock 2022

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
gorgeous rifle

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,814 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.