Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I have been so VERY happy with this Rifle that I thought I would pass along my experiences with it to anyone looking for a longer range Rifle for medium game.
Back in early 2,003 I came across a Remington 700 Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester. This is the 26" heavy blued barrel model with the wide forearm synthetic stock.
I mounted a Leupold Long Range 6.5x20 variable scope in Leupold rings and bases on it.
This scope has the 30mm tube with the 40mm objective lense and a fine Du-Plex reticle.
The Rifle came from the factory with a crisp trigger but I eventually did adjust it down to 2 1/2 pounds.
The only other thing I did to do to it was torque the action screws to 35 inch/pounds.
My first trip out to the range for "load development" was my last!
With 59.0 grains of H 4831 SC, Federal 210 Match primers and the 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips it repeatedly made very small three shot groups!
I finished breaking in the barrel and went home.
I still use the same load today.
To date I have killed numerous Deer with it (both Whitetail and Mulies), seven or eight Buck Antelope, one 6x6 Bull Elk and several Coyotes.
I don't ever recall shooting at any one game animal more than once with this rig.
The 130 grain Nosler bullet is not only accurate it IS deadly!
According to my loading log I have less than 125 rounds down the tube so far so it should last me the rest of my life.
And to one of the Rifles best attributes - I just last week fired another sight-in verification group at 100 yards.
The group printed EXACTLY 2.7" high at 100 yards and dead on for left and right - the great thing is this is exactly where the Rifle has been sighted in since September of 2,003! Every time I check this Rifle for point of impact it stays at the same point!
The group I fired last week included the first shot from a Break-Free oil protected bore and still the group measured just .611".
If a person needs a long range reliable Rifle and does not mind a little weight on the sling (Rifle and scope weight 10 pounds 12 ounces!) then I highly recommend they seek out one of these Remington 700 Sendero's.
My Sendero's constant companions when afield are a Leica LRF 900 Scan Model laser rangefinder and a Harris Tall Model Swivel bi-pod.
I have killed Antelope out to 507 yards with this Rifle and several Deer beyond 400 yards!
Over the years I have come across two other high plains Hunters who have this same model/caliber Rifle and their experiences have been the same as mine - accurate, good triggers and reliable.
To tell the truth I have been so enamored with this 270 Sendero I have been considering buying another to be used by my sons and grandson but I have as yet to see another one (in person!) for sale.
By the way I use Federal brass in my handloads - no special reason other than to keep the brass for this 270 easily distinguishable from my other 270's brass.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Sounds like a winner!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good read !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great stuff... Hard to beat a good .270

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I agree on the 130 Nos B Tips on top of a stiff charge of IMR 4350. Shot a full growed buck last year at 335yards and it was a complete pass thru. Hell of a bullet!

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dynasty rifle! Book it!!

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I have been so VERY happy with this Rifle that I thought I would pass along my experiences with it to anyone looking for a longer range Rifle for medium game.
Back in early 2,003 I came across a Remington 700 Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester. This is the 26" heavy blued barrel model with the wide forearm synthetic stock.
I mounted a Leupold Long Range 6.5x20 variable scope in Leupold rings and bases on it.
This scope has the 30mm tube with the 40mm objective lense and a fine Du-Plex reticle.
The Rifle came from the factory with a crisp trigger but I eventually did adjust it down to 2 1/2 pounds.
The only other thing I did to do to it was torque the action screws to 35 inch/pounds.
My first trip out to the range for "load development" was my last!
With 59.0 grains of H 4831 SC, Federal 210 Match primers and the 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips it repeatedly made very small three shot groups!
I finished breaking in the barrel and went home.
I still use the same load today.
To date I have killed numerous Deer with it (both Whitetail and Mulies), seven or eight Buck Antelope, one 6x6 Bull Elk and several Coyotes.
I don't ever recall shooting at any one game animal more than once with this rig.
The 130 grain Nosler bullet is not only accurate it IS deadly!
According to my loading log I have less than 125 rounds down the tube so far so it should last me the rest of my life.
And to one of the Rifles best attributes - I just last week fired another sight-in verification group at 100 yards.
The group printed EXACTLY 2.7" high at 100 yards and dead on for left and right - the great thing is this is exactly where the Rifle has been sighted in since September of 2,003! Every time I check this Rifle for point of impact it stays at the same point!
The group I fired last week included the first shot from a Break-Free oil protected bore and still the group measured just .611".
If a person needs a long range reliable Rifle and does not mind a little weight on the sling (Rifle and scope weight 10 pounds 12 ounces!) then I highly recommend they seek out one of these Remington 700 Sendero's.
My Sendero's constant companions when afield are a Leica LRF 900 Scan Model laser rangefinder and a Harris Tall Model Swivel bi-pod.
I have killed Antelope out to 507 yards with this Rifle and several Deer beyond 400 yards!
Over the years I have come across two other high plains Hunters who have this same model/caliber Rifle and their experiences have been the same as mine - accurate, good triggers and reliable.
To tell the truth I have been so enamored with this 270 Sendero I have been considering buying another to be used by my sons and grandson but I have as yet to see another one (in person!) for sale.
By the way I use Federal brass in my handloads - no special reason other than to keep the brass for this 270 easily distinguishable from my other 270's brass.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Outstanding, VG. And only 125 rds. fired so far. Truly fine performance by both of you. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A whole, whopping 125 rounds fired in more than 12 years.

Wow, what a specimen.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Very cool! My buddy has as sendero in 7mag and 300mag...they're nice.

So I assume you have used that 130 BT on the elk shot? I'm just curious as I have a 270 that I'd like to load one round for, regardless of what I'm shooting at, and feel confident in it. I'd be shooting elk, deer, and any opportunistic coyote or rabbit.

Thanks.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My cousin has a Sendero .270 and I've never been much impressed by it. My Walmart special M700 ADL .270 will out shoot it any day of the week with factory ammo.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you have a rifle that makes you so happy.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not any fun to lug around, though. Clunky, in fact. I had a 7MM Sendero, it shot great, but who the Hell needs a 7 Mag varmint rifle?

A cousin has one in 7mm Ultra Mag, never uses it. Again, who the Hell needs an Ultra Mag varmint rifle?

I wanted to mess around with the 7mm Mag, and did so. Fine, I educated myself on that cartridge. It's a fine rifle for that, but pretty damned dumb for anything but sitting in a shooting house someplace.

If I'm going to use my .270s, I want 'em light and handy, not long and clunky.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
@OP, If you are happy with the rifle, that is all that matters. based on your comments, that sounds like one rifle that you need to hang onto. I had a factory heavy barrel Savage .223 that shot itty-bitty groups like yours does. Got bored with it. Sold it off to buy something that I can no longer remember. Wish I had the Savage back. Hang onto your Sendero.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one exactly like yours and it was a sweet shooting rig. I mainly shot 130 GameKings with IMR 4350 and shot several deer and hogs. If it hadn't been stolen, I'd still be slaying critters with it.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I'm not a big fan of the newer 700's but I'd love to get a hold of an older Sendero.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
VAhuntr: What caliber are you looking for?
I always keep an eye out for Sendero's and will keep you in mind.
I helped a friend find and buy a newer Sendero in 7mm STW a couple months ago and he has been VERY happy with how it shoots.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
NTG: I was in open country "mostly" Hunting Mule Deer when that Bull Elk happened along and I indeed heart/lung shot that Bull with the 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.
I have a friend that does use his 270 Winchester often on Elk and he uses the Nosler 140 grain Partitions.
That would be a better choice than the 130 Nosler Ballistic Tips for a more all around game bullet.
I am still kicking myself for not buying a Rifle my close friend bought new, used on one Missouri Breaks Elk Hunt, then sold.
It was a Remington 700 Sendero in 300 Winchester Magnum - he chose the 180 grain Nosler Partitions to shoot his best Bull Elk ever with, then a year later he decided to sell the gun.
I had been to the range with him and that Sendero and it shot very well indeed and again I wish I would have bought that gun!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
4ager: I currently have over 260 firearms and at least 3 dozen of them are set up and suited for Big Game Hunting.
So indeed my Rifles (my Big Game Rifles!) do NOT get a lot rounds down the barrel - many of my Varmint Rifles do see much more useage.
I feel blessed by that - I hope that does not displease you to much?
He-he.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
444Matt: Thank you!
And wish me luck as I am headed out again at zero dark thirty tomorrow morning with this Sendero - I have seen a really DANDY 12 point Whitetail on 3 prior outings in the last two weeks and I do so wish to bring him to bag.
Closest I have been to him has been 500 yards and it was very windy that day.
The rut is really kicking in hereabouts and I hope his vigilance becomes diminished, SOON.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Anusbender: Why waste the electrons - you have NOTHING worthwhile to add here and no one cares what blather you burp up anyways!
Grow up, you pathetic and worthless turd.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.