Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by taylorce1
For a lousy $300 bucks i think everyone should buy a 6X MQ and find out this stuff for themselves.... smile

I'm out of work for the next 6+ months because of a shattered ankle. So I'm not spending any money that I don't have to. So forgive me if I ask a few questions.

taylor was not dumping on you for asking anything. I was making a joke.

I didn't really think you were dumping on me in particular, and if they are on sale I'll buy one on black Friday. The rifle I'm probably going to put it on will be more of a plains rifle anyway kind like the terrain flave posted.

Anyway wanted to let you know no offense was taken.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 4th_point
As long you don't mount the scope you're only out the return shipping if you don't like something from SWFA. Buy both, fondle them, then send the one you like least back.

Returns at SWFA

True.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wish Id known about the sale. Could have saved the money... frown

Oh well.Ordered mine a week ago.Not here yet! Rifle is waiting.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
That's what asking questions gets you. I believe I'll wait... grin

I feel the previous poster's pain with the money pinch. Not long ago, I fed my family for three years solid on what we grew in the garden and what my rifle brought in. Took all our money to pay the mortgage and other bills only money can pay. The grocery bill was where we could cut. Nobody went hungry, though.

Last edited by APredator; 11/10/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mine showed up today. An hour later it was mounted on a new 7 Rem Mag. I grabbed what I had loaded,70 RL25-150 BT,and ran to the range.

I bore sighted at 50 yards and adjusted to hit a 1/2" dot at 50.Took 3 shots and tracking was perfect.

Ran right out to 600 yards and used the reticle (3 mils) and fired a 6" 3 shot group,about 10" low.Next group was fired with the reticle holding for 3.5 mils.

Two shots scared the 6" orange dot about 3" apart, third out high/left but it was getting dark by then,and the half mil hash mark was tough to see.Had I dialed, the center of the reticle was much easier to see.

Nine shots total from finding a zero to "deer killing" groups at 600 yards...keep in mind,I have no frigging clue what I am doing with the scope grin

BTW, I stayed at the 200 yard line looking back to 600 yds. until after dark.Our 600 yard line is like deer country cut lines.(It IS a deer country cut line; saw two there last night)

You could not use the hash marks past a certain point,but the reticle stayed visible until almost 5 PM,and it was dark here and solid overcast. Anything that stepped out would have been in trouble.To my eye the optics are at least as good as any VX 2 or 3 I've owned.

Seems the scope works like Stick and others say it does.

Now I have to learn to dial but this scope seems very user friendly. I was pretty impressed for the money involved.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Bob,

Thanks for the report. You sure didn't waste any time! 😎

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys didn't think Larry was lying did ya ?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Bob,

Thanks for the report. You sure didn't waste any time! 😎

Bob: Figured I'd just get right to it. I gotta shoot to learn! smile

RD: Nope!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Biggest downside is the zero stop will run you around 36 cents. But hey, it can't all be good.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mine showed up today. An hour later it was mounted on a new 7 Rem Mag. I grabbed what I had loaded,70 RL25-150 BT,and ran to the range.

I bore sighted at 50 yards and adjusted to hit a 1/2" dot at 50.Took 3 shots and tracking was perfect.

Ran right out to 600 yards and used the reticle (3 mils) and fired a 6" 3 shot group,about 10" low.Next group was fired with the reticle holding for 3.5 mils.

Two shots scared the 6" orange dot about 3" apart, third out high/left but it was getting dark by then,and the half mil hash mark was tough to see.Had I dialed, the center of the reticle was much easier to see.

Nine shots total from finding a zero to "deer killing" groups at 600 yards...keep in mind,I have no frigging clue what I am doing with the scope grin

BTW, I stayed at the 200 yard line looking back to 600 yds. until after dark.Our 600 yard line is like deer country cut lines.(It IS a deer country cut line; saw two there last night)

You could not use the hash marks past a certain point,but the reticle stayed visible until almost 5 PM,and it was dark here and solid overcast. Anything that stepped out would have been in trouble.To my eye the optics are at least as good as any VX 2 or 3 I've owned.

Seems the scope works like Stick and others say it does.

Now I have to learn to dial but this scope seems very user friendly. I was pretty impressed for the money involved.

Pretty much the same way both my 6x's, my 3-9x42 and my 3-15x42 have been for me - stupid easy! The 3-9x42 has a slightly fatter, easier to see reticle.

David

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bcraig
Swfa 1-4x24 classic with Illuminated reticle
or SWFA 6x42 Milquad

I have used the 10x42 Milquad and liked it in the fields but hard to see reticle in the woods.
Like the fact I can use the windshield or dial if I want.
Is the 6x42 with the same MQ reticle easier to see in the woods than the 10x42 Mq ?

Also been giving a lot of thought to the 1-4x24 Classic with Illuminated reticle as that would seem to solve the issue to of being hard to see in the woods.
BUT it is a variable and not as tough as a fixed power.
I have seen some that tape the scope so the the power cant be changed but it is still a variable with more parts .

So Mixed terrain hunting anywhere from say 25 yards in the woods to 400 in the fields.

Most of the time I hunt the fields but occasionally hunt in the woods so I dont know if the the trade off from the fixed 6x42 MQ durability to the Illuminated reticle of the variable is 1-4x24 is the way to go ?

I would go with the 6x42 fixed. I need the ability to
see things at low light.

Any 24 mm objective would not do it for me unless maybe on
a .22 rifle.

The illuminated reticle is optional in any scope. I have no
desire or need for illumination.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
David "stupid easy" is a good description.

It was nice to see bullet holes move predictably in line with adjustments.I knew the rifle was "good" so no groups at intermediate distances were fired in advance,and I was done with 3 shots at the 50 yard line.

(BTW, I have never taken a scope from 50 yards straight to 600 with any confidence,but this thing made it easy to do).

Another thing that's nice is that the reticle is in sync with the adjustments. Larry told me that with a 162 Amax at 3050 fps (7 rem Mag),the reticle ALONE will get you to over 1200 yards.....without touching the turret.I can see that now. I'll never tap the full potential of this scope.

With a good rifle and this scope,you could blow a 400 yard shot at a bull elk; but if you do it's your own fault! smile

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Bob, like I said to I'll probably buy one soon. What rings and bases did you use to mount it? I have a .243 I think I want to mount it on.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks, Bob. I think that was what some here wanted to hear.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Thanks Bob, like I said to I'll probably buy one soon. What rings and bases did you use to mount it? I have a .243 I think I want to mount it on.

Taylor I used Leupold DD bases with the 30mm medium Leupold rings. The scope has plenty of tube length (mounting space) to easily span a M70 action,and there is plenty of bolt handle clearance. You can also move the scope back and forth enough to catch your eye relief.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A common BlackFriday offering has been a Fixed SS with a set of Picatinny rings, with your choice of height, and a bubble level all for the $250 or $260. The rings are hefty but workable, aluminum and just about the same as the Burris XTRs. The lows, since they are 30MM are .25" high... If you buy either of the SWFA scopes mentioned here at discount and wish to later get rid of it, I'll take 'em from you. It's a heck of a deal and hoping they'll do the same this year...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob, Did you need the mediums or would lows work? Plan on a set of those on a rem 700 with a #2 contour and curious about height. Thank you

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
30338: To tell the truth the "lows" looked real low to me,more like 1" Extra Low" and shaved real this on the bottom. I am not all that familiar with the 30mm rings.

So I never even opened the package on the lows and just went to the mediums,which to me looked like 1" "lows".

The lows are sitting on my bench unopened.

Is that confusing enough? grin

But it worked out well as I found the mediums to work pretty much perfectly. The scope is real easy to get behind.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 30338
Biggest downside is the zero stop will run you around 36 cents. But hey, it can't all be good.

Which thread was it that discussed putting the zero stop on the 6x42? I forgot to copy it.

Last edited by sbhooper; 11/11/15.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For a lousy $300 bucks i think everyone should buy a 6X MQ and find out this stuff for themselves.... smile

I did just that buddy!

Semper Fi
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1lessdog, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,109
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.