Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cousin Dave (you'll remember that he's a paraplegic from my antelope post) and I hunted hard all last week except Friday when our wives took us to see a local production of "Oklahoma".
The elk were staying up on the eco-terriost property that overlooks where we're permitted to hunt making faces at us. Yesterday our younger buddy Ralph who still has an 8 to 5, Monday through Friday job joined us. Yesterday afternoon the elk were headed down to the shooting gallery when cousin Dave drove too close to them. A disadvantage to hunting with a guy who is pretty well restricted to hunting from the pickup is that he has to get pretty close to the critters to make a shot and they're usually more scared of a pickup than some guy sneaking through the sagebrush in sagebrush friendly camo. Anyway they decided not to come to the shooting gallery when the truck got too close.
Cousin Dave felt bad about that so when we got out there at first light and elk were all over a hillside out side of eco-terriost land Ralph and I ran down and shot at them. I pulled my first shot to the right and Ralph missed too. The elk moved on down the hill and we followed. We got down to a cattle guard with a fence post beside it that was just the right height so I rested my little ole carbine on it and proceeded to shoot this big ole cow right through the neck at about 130 to 150 yards. I aimed at her head but she was moving and the bullet caught her in the neck.
[Linked Image]
Ralph then rested his Mauser Model 95 in 7X57 on the fence post at the other side of the cattle guard and shot another cow through the back at about 200 yards. Dave then drove down and missed a shot with his Ruger 77 in 7MM mag at about 300 yards.
Ralph's cow was still flopping around and Dave went down in his truck and finished it off.
Dave and I went back this afternoon and watched the elk up on eco-terriost land until just before dark. They were about 1000 yards away but we took some photos anyway.
[Linked Image]
He and I will hunt every day till he gets an elk. We've got through the 20th and I'm sure they'll make another mistake like they did today.
I've got another license for a different area and hope to get another elk before season ends. We've got some people with financial problems here who could use the meat.
I've now killed at least one ungulate type animal with each of the Savage calibers. Some of them didn't have horns. Does this qualify for the Savage grand slam or do I have to collect all antlered type animals to qualify?
pics of the four.
Caribou shot with 1950 vintage 99R 300 Savage
[Linked Image]
Antelope shot with 1955 Vintage 99F in 250
[Linked Image]
Antelope shot with 99F 22 High-Power
[Linked Image]
Today's elk shot with 1899 SRC in 303 Savage. 150 Sierra round nose flat point with 31 grains IMR3031.
[Linked Image]
David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Who am I to say on the Grand Slam but at least you're having fun, and WORK! smile

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, I'd call it a Savage slam alright! Now maybe the 22 HP and a mountain lion, since there are no tigers in NA laugh
Thanks for pics and story.

Lee

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4 dead animals + 4 Savage calibers = Savage Grand Slam.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
David,
Mighty nice animals for the Savage Slam!!!!
Pretty good looking rifles also. Good for you. Hope one makes a mistake for cousin Dave.

Best and keep the pictures coming,

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Cousin Dave (you'll remember that he's a paraplegic from my antelope post) and I hunted hard all last week except Friday when our wives took us to see a local production of "Oklahoma".
The elk were staying up on the eco-terriost property that overlooks where we're permitted to hunt making faces at us. Yesterday our younger buddy Ralph who still has an 8 to 5, Monday through Friday job joined us. Yesterday afternoon the elk were headed down to the shooting gallery when cousin Dave drove too close to them. A disadvantage to hunting with a guy who is pretty well restricted to hunting from the pickup is that he has to get pretty close to the critters to make a shot and they're usually more scared of a pickup than some guy sneaking through the sagebrush in sagebrush friendly camo. Anyway they decided not to come to the shooting gallery when the truck got too close.
Cousin Dave felt bad about that so when we got out there at first light and elk were all over a hillside out side of eco-terriost land Ralph and I ran down and shot at them. I pulled my first shot to the right and Ralph missed too. The elk moved on down the hill and we followed. We got down to a cattle guard with a fence post beside it that was just the right height so I rested my little ole carbine on it and proceeded to shoot this big ole cow right through the neck at about 130 to 150 yards. I aimed at her head but she was moving and the bullet caught her in the neck.
[Linked Image]
Ralph then rested his Mauser Model 95 in 7X57 on the fence post at the other side of the cattle guard and shot another cow through the back at about 200 yards. Dave then drove down and missed a shot with his Ruger 77 in 7MM mag at about 300 yards.
Ralph's cow was still flopping around and Dave went down in his truck and finished it off.
Dave and I went back this afternoon and watched the elk up on eco-terriost land until just before dark. They were about 1000 yards away but we took some photos anyway.
[Linked Image]
He and I will hunt every day till he gets an elk. We've got through the 20th and I'm sure they'll make another mistake like they did today.
I've got another license for a different area and hope to get another elk before season ends. We've got some people with financial problems here who could use the meat.
I've now killed at least one ungulate type animal with each of the Savage calibers. Some of them didn't have horns. Does this qualify for the Savage grand slam or do I have to collect all antlered type animals to qualify?
pics of the four.
Caribou shot with 1950 vintage 99R 300 Savage
[Linked Image]
Antelope shot with 1955 Vintage 99F in 250
[Linked Image]
Antelope shot with 99F 22 High-Power
[Linked Image]
Today's elk shot with 1899 SRC in 303 Savage. 150 Sierra round nose flat point with 31 grains IMR3031.
[Linked Image]
David

Good for all of you and thanks for sharing the story.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice story David, great pictures!

I think we need to get a sticky started of critters dispatched by Savages (..Savage rifles that is, to clarify for the eco-terrorists)

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats on your slam! Great story writing too.

I like Jeff's idea.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Awesome! thanks for passing this along for all to read and enjoy.

Good shooting!

dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations! Well done.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A man who talks the talk and walks the walk.
Jagermeister!

"Every day above ground is a good day."
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Yup! I think you have earned the Savage Grand Slam! Great going, Wishing good Luck for Cousin Dave!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats! I LOVE elk steaks, enjoy!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Excellent!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks good. Congrats!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How come a young guy like you has all those rifles scoped. wink Nice record to be proud of and great eating also. cool GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cousin Dave was a little upset that he missed his elk yesterday. We were out at the ranch at first light and slowly cruised by the places we had been seeing elk for the last week. We didn't see any up on that forbidden ridge where we had seen them almost every day or anywhere on the trails to and from it. He was getting pessimistic. We headed on towards the back of the ranch and saw a small herd of about a dozen well back on the ranch about 700 or 800 yards away. They saw us and were moving but we didn't have anything to lose by heading back there. They disappeared behind a ridge and we figured we'd never see them again. We had had a small herd disappear back there once before. It's pretty rough terrain with a lot of hiding places. When we topped the ridge they were about 300 yards away. I said to Dave, "They're close enough". He pulled the truck sideways so he could rest his rifle on the mirror. They were getting restless and starting to move. He let loose and I thought I saw one off to the left stagger. At the moment he shot I'd been looking at the ones on the right. I said, "which one did you shoot at." He said, "The one lying there dead on the ground." Dave's kind of taciturn. The one I thought staggered ran off with the rest of the herd. The dead elk was down in the sagebrush and I couldn't see it. He could see it and put his rangefinder on it and came up with 295 yards. We drove on down to it and it was lying there real dead with an exit wound on the left side of its neck no more than two or three inches from where I hit mine yesterday. Needless to say Dave was real happy.
7 MM mag exit hole.
[Linked Image]
Starting field dressing. It ain't easy from a wheelchair.
[Linked Image]
One happy hunter and his Winter meat.
[Linked Image]
As we were driving out we were discussing shot placement and power of various calibers. I said I think my 303 would easily kill an elk at 300 yards if I could hit it in the neck. He agreed and said he may start hunting antelope and maybe even elk with his post-mil 99E in 308. I hope he does. Then we'd both be hunting with 99's. I plan to keep hunting with them. I had it in mind to switch back to my 284 DL after I got an elk with the SRC but I am definitely going to hunt my second elk this year with the SRC and may continue to use it in the future.
Dave and I were taught to always shoot just behind the shoulder. We think that was because we weren't very good shots back then and that was to give us a better chance of getting a bullet in the critter and eventually catching up with it. A neck or head shot is much better. If you hit the animal there it's dead. If you miss it's not wounded.
Roy Weatherby discovered on an African safari in the 1950's that poor shot placement wasn't compensated for by super energy rounds. Shot placement is king.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it and my Savages in their obsolete calibers.
David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats on getting him his elk, that's awesome!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
David those are some great photos and congrats on doing it with Savage rifles. Seems every Elk I ever get with my bow is at least a couple miles from camp and falls into the deepest hole and gets wedged between some trees. I understand that the fun is over when the Elk hits the ground and I like your hoist setup for lifting them. Still lots of work but it sure is a relief when you are successful. Tom.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads to Cuz Dave! Sounds like a real Great Fellow!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (21, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 60 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,397
Posts18,527,896
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.