Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Knives of Alaska: Jaeger Boning Knife. $75-$80 and works like a charm.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've tried almost 2 dozen knives over the years but still love the Buck 103 Skinner that I bought when I was 17 or 18 the best. And although I want to try a Buck Pathfinder... Blackwater's post reminded me of one that really speaks to me. The Benchmade Steep Country, 3.5" S30V blade, and about $100.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have more knives than I want my wife to know about. I have some customs that will never leave. I try to pair every gun w/a good knife and appropriate case or holster. I want to agree w/ Big Dave, and suggest you consider the Spyderco Moran drop point. When you use it, you will appreciate just how good it is- it goes on every hunt.

Most of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout steams and above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be part of them, forever
- Earnest Hemingway, Idaho- 1939
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For me, I grew up when stainless was just being used for pocket knives. Those old Sabre knives had the worst steel ever. Or maybe it was just the heat treat. Either way, it turned me off of stainless to this day. I know today's stainless in a decent knife is in no way similar to those old cheap knives, but I just can't get past it. On top of that, I had an old Western swept blade hunting knife with carbon steel blade and a stacked leather washer handle and it would get SHARP and stay that way. I've got the scar on my finger to prove it! With all those experiences in my formative years, I just stick with what has worked.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Hard to beat the versatility of the Havalon Titan for a great hunting knife well under $100 Havalon Titan

^^^^^This!^^^^^

I have the Havalon Titan. I've used the Piranta many times, but the new Titan 2-blade design with a permanent blade and the new 60A scalpel is light years ahead of any competitor.

Incidentally, the only real criticism of the Havalon (the old version using 60XT blades) is that the blade is prone to breaking. That problem has been solved with the new thicker 60A blade. All other companies that use a #60 scalpel use the thinner 60XT. Havalon is the only company that uses the new 60A blade.

If you're looking for a practical folding hunting knife, I don't think you can beat the Havalon Titan for the price.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Hard to beat the versatility of the Havalon Titan for a great hunting knife well under $100 Havalon Titan

^^^^^This!^^^^^

I have the Havalon Titan. I've used the Piranta many times, but the new Titan 2-blade design with a permanent blade and the new 60A scalpel is light years ahead of any competitor.

Incidentally, the only real criticism of the Havalon (the old version using 60XT blades) is that the blade is prone to breaking. That problem has been solved with the new thicker 60A blade. All other companies that use a #60 scalpel use the thinner 60XT. Havalon is the only company that uses the new 60A blade.

If you're looking for a practical folding hunting knife, I don't think you can beat the Havalon Titan for the price.

Steve.

Makes sense, we do live in a pretty throw away society. Quite frankly I wouldn't want to be holding a handle and a box full of exacto blades explaining the virtues. Each to their own, I've heard from a number of people that love them!

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I have the Cold Steel Master Hunter - I've used it,and I'm not a fan. Blade is too thick and deep to make a good skinner, and simply too big overall for antelope, which is one of my favorite animals to hunt.

I also used it on a cow elk a couple of years ago, and it went dull before I finished skinning a single quarter.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought a Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf in S30V a few years back - it's been a good knife and about all I've used since. It looks like they can be had for a little under $100...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This.......

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/55...less-steel-blade-gator-grip-handle-black

The KOA Alpha Wolf is good also. Gave mine to a good friend. It is a bit thin though, and scales not the best IMO......

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Cabelas is having a 20% off sale for all "Alaskan Guide" Buck knives for the next 2 weeks (Nov 11-25)!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
apologize for responding to this thread, apparently the OP was trolling.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Trolling? What the heck does that mean?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

^^^^^This!^^^^^

Steve.

Why invest that kind of money into a cheap Chinese blade?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by czech1022
Cabelas is having a 20% off sale for all "Alaskan Guide" Buck knives for the next 2 weeks (Nov 11-25)!

That would seal the deal for me, honestly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.collectorknives.net/hess-knives/

Hess.......affordable quality.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those Hess knives look pretty nice for less than $100!

Old school classic hunting knife.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Can't beat em for the price....

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Lots and lots of GREAT suggestions here, thank you everyone!

But a $10 off coupon from Cabelas just made up my mind for me. That plus 20% off the Buck/Alaskan Guide Vanguard SV30 leaves me with enough to also pick up a Victorinox Camper as a hunting pocketknife!

HAPPY TOMORROW TO ALL OUR VETERANS OUT THERE! YOU WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED BY THE PEOPLE WHO COUNT!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Victorinox Camper is a handy choice, in a smaller package than the Hunter I mentioned earlier. FWIW you might also consider the Hiker, which is the same as the Camper in every respect save that it has a Phillips screwdriver in place of the corkscrew.

I guess it comes down to whether you're more likely to screw than pull corks...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by billtrev
I'm not sure that it's the "the best" but you might want to check out the Grohmann #1

Yep, or the smaller version Bird & Trout

FJB & FJT
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 21, 160user, 1234, 75 invisible), 3,565 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,365
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.