-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All the talk about replacement blades and special tools to remove them and how great that is, makes me just want to skip it and keep it simple. Dropped point hunter it is and that knife is k.i.s.s embodied. The more complicated the tool the more to go wrong and there is no argument for that.

Mm

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
All the talk about replacement blades and special tools to remove them and how great that is, makes me just want to skip it and keep it simple. Dropped point hunter it is and that knife is k.i.s.s embodied. The more complicated the tool the more to go wrong and there is no argument for that.

Mm

I don't get it either...I'd rather have a quality blade that holds an edge, and I know how to sharpen and maintain that edge so I see no reason to swap blades...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Mm

I don't get it either...I'd rather have a quality blade that holds an edge, and I know how to sharpen and maintain that edge so I see no reason to swap blades...

As you know Shane....I'm a traditional knife guy too...probably more than most here....but I have to admit...the little Havalon Piranta a friend in OR sent me is pretty dam handy in the fur shed....

I'd never even think of taking it in the field though....not even as a back up....if I have my pants on I already have a back up in my right front pocket... wink

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FieldGrade; 11/12/15.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Mm

As you know Shane....I'm a traditional knife guy too...probably more than most here....but I have to admit...the little Havalon Piranta a friend in OR sent me is pretty dam handy in the fur shed....

I'd never even think of taking it in the field though....not even as a back up....if I have my pants on I already have a back up in my right front pocket... wink

[Linked Image]

I can see it being a bit handy in a fur shed...or a taxidermy shop. And a lot of cattlemen seem to like them for castration...I cant see cleaning a big game animal with that itty blade. And the Titan is far too bulky for me, as well.

While not as 'traditional' as the curmudgeon, I hope to get this one bloody again tomorrow!

[Linked Image]

And that GEC I got from you a while back, IIRC. That's (one of) my backup.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice knife....what's that....Orange Wood? grin

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Nice knife....what's that....Orange Wood? grin

Benchmade make a nice knife...not sure where they get these exotic woods!...?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
If you're looking for a practical folding hunting knife, I don't think you can beat the Havalon Titan for the price.

Steve.

Why invest that kind of money into a cheap Chinese blade?

So that no one is tempted to believe what isn't true, the big blade on a Havalon Titan is not Chinese. It is AUS-8 steel, which is a Japanese steel with a relatively high carbon content. It is used in most SOG knives and many, many, many others. The replaceable 60A scalpel blade is made in India. This is what your doctor most likely uses when he does surgery on you. But then, I suppose you could tell your surgeon not to use it.

(As I talk to doctors who are also hunters I learn that most of them use a scalpel in the field, and those who do not know about Havalon are very happy to learn about it.)

Steve.

Aus 8 is among the worst performing blade steels for edge retention, however, it is surpassed in poor performance by 420HC in a Buck 110, which comes in next to last place.

Bladeforums is concrete proof that knife nuts are way sicker than gun nuts! laugh But, in all seriousness, if you want to learn about a subject, seek out enthusiasts.

Here is video of a Buck 420 HC knife exhibiting "poor performance" while being tested by a knife nut. Please watch if you are in the market for a decent "budget knife" or can't understand how you have cut so much stuff with such a bad knife. If you watch at the end, notice how fast the kid touches up the knife. Can you swap a blade out in a disposable that fast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6j5e-xGIqM

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess the China stamp on the Titan blade is for show?

If that's what you're seeing, maybe your should get your eyes checked.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess the China stamp on the Titan blade is for show?

If that's what you're seeing, maybe your should get your eyes checked.

Steve.

Take a pic of the blade. The blade can legally say China and be made in China and still yet the whole knife be assembled in Taiwan and say "assembled" or "made" in Taiwan.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I kinda like that Benchmade, S30V and within the OP's budget.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Benchmade-Steep-Counry-HUNT-Knife-Orange-Handle-S30V-Plain-Edge-15008-ORG-/121722077497?hash=item1c57338139:g:5roAAOSwMmBVwQnv

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The blade doesn't say "China." Case closed.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Best hunting knife under 100$ that I own is my Grohmann made Russell belt knife. Built in Canada and available at my favorite hardware store for around 80$, 90 if you want stainless instead of carbon steel for the blade.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Steve.

I wonder if the blades are made in China. Just curious.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
+1 what Jamesd1187 said, but I actually prefer the slightly smaller "trout and bird" version.
http://www.gknives.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/R2S.jpg

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That Benchmade looks like the best answer so far to the original question.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Steve.

Sorry, it's made in Taiwan. Still crap...now it's closed. If you don't feel it is vastly inferior steel, you're the one in need of professional evaluation.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Steve.

Sorry, it's made in Taiwan. Still crap...now it's closed. If you don't feel it is vastly inferior steel, you're the one in need of professional evaluation.

Type of steel aside, if the supplier quality of the blade is poor/poorly validated processes then it doesn't matter where the blade is made. Though China is a whole nuther animal when it comes to getting you what you want grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by norske
For utility, it would be hard to beat a Mora that costs $25 or so. Really, they are excellent. There are other Scandanavian knives under a hundred that look nice.

This right here (Morakniv) if you are talking about utility knives. Mine purchased on Amazon cost $14 and is extremely sharp. Buy two complementary designs for $30, buy a good sharpener for $20-30 and pocket the rest to put toward something else.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Your options range far and wide at under $100, and there are many good ones in this thread. If you're looking for a bargain, Sierra Trading Post has a decent selection of knives that are frequently available with their 30% off (Moras included) so that you dollar will go a bit further.

His prices went up, but you can get a custom Skinny Bushcrafter at graywolfknives.com for $115. Just past your budget, but I thought of it as I picked up one of his earlier models for about $100 a couple of years ago, and have been very impressed. No swapping blades and over your budget for just one, but a custom is not that out of reach.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036JUK5M?psc=1

I have had this $97.75 Benchmade knife for a week.
It is 154CM Stainless Steel/58-60HRC.
It is 3.45" blade folder [Seattle legal to carry]

I got it because the 3 mule deer I gutted 3 weeks ago, I had trouble cutting out the deer's b-hole with my spec elite mini SOG 2.75" fat wide blade.

I am happy with a week of Amazon shipping box opening.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (260Remguy, 358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 16 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,679
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.