E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by colodog
Open the action,
Remove the screw that is the lever pivot, remove the lever out the bottom and the bolt out the rear,roll the rifle to the right and the ejector will fall out.
The first time you do it you can lay the rifle on a bath towel so you don't drop/lose the ejector.

The ejector lays in a groove inside the left side of the receiver, put it in place and the bolt captures it.

How are you liking your 45-70??
thanks for the video, pulled the bolt and used my neighbors door knob which is just under a 100 yds away. i bore sight all my guns on his door knob and their usually only off by a couple inches at a hundred. that was pretty simple.

i like it but haven't shot it much. the skinner peep on it was shooting 18" high at a hundred and i had it bottomed out.

What loads are you shooting?

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'd start at 25 yards and take the time to get it right on the x at that distance. Should put you a tad high at 100 and ready to go hunting.
I agree with starting at 25 yards, but to assume you'll be good enough out to 100 yards without actually shooting it out there, will lead to a miss or a bad hit. Alyways, always, always finish it up from at least 50 or 100 yards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
i was shooting winchester 405s, with leverlution 320s it was still about 8 inches high at a 100. ordered a taller front site from skinner but thought what the hell i had a vari x 3 2.5x8 so i mounted it on there today. probably better with my eye site.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie
Try one shot at 25 first to see if it is pointed at the moon or something. If its not too far off and within the scopes limits (without mount adjustment) you can track the scope down to the bullet strike then fire again. I can usually get close enough with this method within three shots to start shooting at 100 yards I know nearly nothing about the lasers but would probably trust them over some of the cheaper collimators.
I worked at a rifle range for over 10 years and we had the Bushnell arbor-mounted collimators. Those can be off. We had all our well calibrated and never had issues, but it can happen with them. I won Penguin's Pick 'em challenge a few years ago and he gave me a $50.00 gift card for Sportsman's Guide. I bought a Swift collimator, and luckily it's on center and has worked just fine.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
still haven't got my reloading stuff set back up. maybe in the next couple of weeks. i ordered a couple hundred 350 gr pile drivers to load.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I was shooting Hornady 350's over 50 grs of RL-7 that ran right at 1800 fps IIRC.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'd start at 25 yards and take the time to get it right on the x at that distance. Should put you a tad high at 100 and ready to go hunting.
I agree with starting at 25 yards, but to assume you'll be good enough out to 100 yards without actually shooting it out there, will lead to a miss or a bad hit. Alyways, always, always finish it up from at least 50 or 100 yards.

I agree, never expected someone not to shoot at 100 yards. And also 50 yards, if he really wants to see where it's shooting. 45-70 has a vew different loads and some can really have a rainbow trajectory. One of the best loads (if you can find them) is the old Winchester 300 Grain Noslers. Shoot a little flatter. 405's are pretty rainbow. Buffalo Bore 430 LBT's are quicker but still rainbow, but hit like a sledge hammer.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
thanks for the video, pulled the bolt and used my neighbors door knob which is just under a 100 yds away. i bore sight all my guns on his door knob and their usually only off by a couple inches at a hundred. that was pretty simple.

i like it but haven't shot it much. the skinner peep on it was shooting 18" high at a hundred and i had it bottomed out.

Yer neighbor might get pizzed if he sees you aiming a rifle at his knob.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I worked at a rifle range for over 10 years and we had the Bushnell arbor-mounted collimators. Those can be off. We had all our well calibrated and never had issues, but it can happen with them. I won Penguin's Pick 'em challenge a few years ago and he gave me a $50.00 gift card for Sportsman's Guide. I bought a Swift collimator, and luckily it's on center and has worked just fine.

I have the Bushnell also and it is off, but I know where to set my sight on the grid with it. All of my scopes set at 2 up and 1 right gets me pretty close to bullseye at 25 yards.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I did my Marlin I was just gonna pull the bolt and do it the old fashioned, tried and true way. But I hadn't used my el-cheapo BSA collimator in a while so I gave it a whirl just to check it and it was still right on. I've lost track of how many times I've used it and its always been on the money for me. Of course; now that I've praised it then it will probably fall apart next time it gets used.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
[quote=sawbuck] I

I never understood why people get so worked up over bore sighting a rifle, you can accomplish the same thing with one shot.

To reiterate/expand on a previously posted point: IF you know the rifle
/load is accurate, and IF you don't screw up the shot somehow, this works fine. But me being me, I prefer taking 3 shot groups, finding the center-point of each group, and adjusting the scope hairs using that center-point mark at both 25 and 100 yards. And sometimes at other ranges, especially longer ones. I concur that 50 yards is good check for a "rainbow" gun. A point in case below.

I once used a Win 1200 smoothbore with single front bead on a moose hunt, that being all I had available at a remotefish-counting site. I had it and 00Buck for bear medicine, but didn't deem that suitable for a moose. I bought out the little Bush store's (15 miles downstream) stock of slugs on a produce run- all 10 rounds of them. Used a 10-15 foot high, 6-8 inch diameter flood-washed spruce bole with root-wad for a target. Stood that thing up on it's root-wad, fired one round each at 25,50,75,100, 150 yards, nailing the trunk each time.

IIRC (from 1981) there was about 5 feet elevation difference from 25 to 150, with anything out to 75 yards being minute-of-moose/hold on hair. But I was confident I could kill any moose out to 150 yards with the right shot presentation, as I now knew the elevation holds.

Took the other 5 slugs hunting the next day, using one to down a running yearling (15 mo) old fork-horn at about 35 yards. (just swing thru from behind!!! smile ) I'd been scouting him, a 50 inch, and one about 65 for several weeks - he just happened to be the first one along, and big enough to feed the wife and I for a year. Heckuva lot easier to handle too.

That shotgun is under my bed here right now, and I may even have one or more of those original slugs in the home stash on the Kenai, along with several other better/worse shotguns... smile

Last edited by las; 11/21/15.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I don't have any close neighbors but I'm gonna have to get me a brass door knob to hang on the fence....grin

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Dang it Roger I've got one of those in a thutty-thutty and a mount on the shop wall. Should drag it out! All I need is a scope and most likely have a suitable one of those..Serial # says it is a 1960 model.

Last edited by okie; 11/21/15.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks awfully far back, but maybe it's the camera angle.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
camera angle Gene, i got about 6 inches of eye relief.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65

I have the Bushnell also and it is off, but I know where to set my sight on the grid with it. All of my scopes set at 2 up and 1 right gets me pretty close to bullseye at 25 yards.
Yeah-I don't even know how to calibrate those things. One of the guys tht worked at the range knew how to do it, and all the ones we had out there right on after he checked them out.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Roger,

Modern day lever guns are worthless hunks of schit. Sell that fugking thing and use a decent rifle the rest of your life.

It's not old. It's not modern. It's just.... worthless.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
going to kill a nilgia with it first, maybe a big buck next week. but might take the 270 for that.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I doubt the bullets will bounce off.
You've got me thinking of dragging mine out too.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmbrfan, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,214
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.