Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Hey guys, I am looking at upgrading some of my die sets, mostly because I am getting more runout than I would like during the seating operation. I was going to just buy some Redding competition seater dies but for not much more I can get a new set.

I am looking at the Redding's fairly new Premium 2-die sets and Master Hunter die sets. In reading about them, it seems the only difference in the sizing die is that the expander button in the Premium die set is carbide. Are there any other differences?

I'm not sure if the seater dies in the sets are different or not from my reading. The Premium die set refers to adding a micrometer to the seating die but the Master Hunter dies set says that it uses the "competition seater" with a micrometer. Is there a difference in the seating die in the two sets? I thought the competition seater was just the regular seater with a micrometer?

Any information you could give will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
While not familiar with the newer Redding die sets that you mention, The carbide expander is a nice feature as well as the micrometer on the seater die. The carbide expander button will eliminate the need to lube the inside of case necks and the cases seem to glide over it. I have added carbide expander buttons to some of my dies and really like the way it works. The micrometer seating stem is also a nice feature, it allows precise adjustments in seating depth. Once your seating depth is attained recording the micrometer reading allows for easy repeat set-up when switching amoungst bullet styles/weights.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use the Redding body die, type "S" neck bushing die without an expander button and either the Redding or Forster competition seater. If you are using match or VLD bullets the seating stem of the Redding May have to be replaced.Rick.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks guys.

I have been reloading for 22 years now and have been using RCBS shellholders for everything. I just recently started checking my runout and found that my seating dies were lacking so am going to be upgrading those on a couple rifles that I shoot at longer ranges. I think I can improve my accuracy with a better seating die and am getting one with the micrometer one way or the other. I was just curious about the seating dies in those two sets since their literature seems a bit different when reading about them. I do like he carbide expander button too but am more curious about the seating die differences, if any.

I tried to contact Redding myself but the company is on a weeks vacation for hunting/Thanksgiving, which I think is awesome.

Mark

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Nimrod, in top shelf seating dies, but best bang for the buck is with Forster.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mnimrod45
Hey guys, I am looking at upgrading some of my die sets, mostly because I am getting more runout than I would like during the seating operation. I was going to just buy some Redding competition seater dies but for not much more I can get a new set.

I am looking at the Redding's fairly new Premium 2-die sets and Master Hunter die sets. In reading about them, it seems the only difference in the sizing die is that the expander button in the Premium die set is carbide. Are there any other differences?

I'm not sure if the seater dies in the sets are different or not from my reading. The Premium die set refers to adding a micrometer to the seating die but the Master Hunter dies set says that it uses the "competition seater" with a micrometer. Is there a difference in the seating die in the two sets? I thought the competition seater was just the regular seater with a micrometer?

Any information you could give will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

The Premium Series has a micrometer on the seater but is not the same as the Competition Seater that comes with the Master Hunter die set.

The competition seater has a spring loaded chamber that helps align the bullet and case as the bullet is seated.

The micrometer top on the Premium set is just a standard seater with the convenience of a dial.

When I first started getting into the Redding stuff and checking concentricity I ended up with two sets of .223AI dies. The standard Redding set made ammo that wouldn't even move the dial while I had to play with the competition "S" set a bit to make ammo as straight.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Antelope sniper- yeah I have looked at Forsters as well and am considering them as many say they are as good or better than Redding for less $.

Higbean- thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for about the differences.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,237
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.