Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
[Linked Image]

I've been prototyping on a new chassis that I think will make a big impact on the bolt action market. There are historical downfalls of the bullpup format, namely trigger pull and feel, bolt position, and length of pull issues. Through some unique design features, I think these issues have all been addressed.

What you see here is V2 of my chassis, which will be done within a month of so. It features tool free adjustable length of pull, recoil pad cant, and cheekpiece adjustment. With an allen wrench you can adjust recoil pad height, and I'm working towards making it hand-adjustable as well.

What you don't see is a bolt extension that will be offered, to put the bolt back in a conventional position. Trigger linkage is accomplished via some unique design and tight machining tolerances. My first prototype increased pull weight from 2.5 to 2.75lbs with an Xmark trigger. A major trigger company is going to be receiving V2 of the chassis for some R&D on a custom trigger unit just for this chassis, and I'm confident it will feel great.

The entire design is very modular, and eventually I will offer the chassis for several popular bolt actions. First up is the Remington 700 short action because of it's sheer popularity in the market. Once production is up and running there will be several options for the rear section and forend of the chassis, along with a variety of finishes.

I'm sure I left out something, but if you have any questions just ask and I'd be glad to answer them! For more developmental info, you can check out my facebook page at "MK Machining", or my website at mkmachining.com

From years of competitive shooting and working in the industry, I believe I've come up with a solid idea that is turning into a physical one, and I'm excited with prototyping so far!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool H. W. Shiseck did a great article on how he turned a 722 Rem into a bull pup with a electronic trigger. I talked with him a few times about the performance. It was great until it got cold. The trigger didn't like cold.

Keep us updated with your design. I like what I see.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'd like to explore some electronic designs in the future, it seems like something more easily accomplished with today's equipment.

Can't wait to get this chassis in the hands of some industry folks, obviously you can talk about quality all you want but the proof is in the product.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing that has always bothered me about bullpups is that your face is right beside the chamber and bolt where bad things will happen during a kaboom. If the adjustable comb could be designed and fabricated from material that would act as a blast shield that may be a big plus. May also limit manufacturers liability when the inevitable occurs.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 86thecat
One thing that has always bothered me about bullpups is that your face is right beside the chamber and bolt where bad things will happen during a kaboom. If the adjustable comb could be designed and fabricated from material that would act as a blast shield that may be a big plus. May also limit manufacturers liability when the inevitable occurs.

Yeah, I want no part of them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You also make a mighty fine 3d printed scope level. Here's the one I purchased for my 34mm scope. Yesterday I ordered a 1" for my new Nikon.

[Linked Image]

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Good idea, especially with the bolt relocated and a blast shield for the cheekpiece. But do you really need a detachable magazine?

I always wondered why someone didn't make a bullpup hunting rifle. You can get a very long barrel length for maximum velocity while maintaining a short overall length and light weight.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As it is, the bolt can't be operated with the rifle on shoulder. Could he bolt handle be moved forward on the bolt?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
The cheekpiece is thick aluminum, guarantee it's better than having the bolt right in front of your face, and will more than vent any gasses. If you literally blow up the chamber...well you screwed up and I feel coming out ok is a matter of luck with your face anywhere near it.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Good idea, especially with the bolt relocated and a blast shield for the cheekpiece. But do you really need a detachable magazine?

I always wondered why someone didn't make a bullpup hunting rifle. You can get a very long barrel length for maximum velocity while maintaining a short overall length and light weight.

No, you don't need a detachable mag, but why not have the advantage of AICS mags, which is what this chassis will fit in standard configuration? In long range shooting your left hand will be on a sandbag almost right there, making mag changes very easy.

As far as bolt handle location, there will be a bolt extension service offered, you send in a bolt and we thread it and install an extended bolt handle that places it where a normal rifle is. The threads will be standard aftermarket bolt handle threads, so you won't be married to this platform.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Ty,

I like your idea. +1 on the detachable mag. Are you using AR pistol grips? That's an easy way to give a lot of choice in grips.

Good luck.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Ty,

I like your idea. +1 on the detachable mag. Are you using AR pistol grips? That's an easy way to give a lot of choice in grips.

Good luck.

We are indeed using AR grips for just that reason! I like ERGO grips, and are what I plan on offering standard on this chassis.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So if I am following the bolt extension will be what, about 6-8 inches forward?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
So if I am following the bolt extension will be what, about 6-8 inches forward?

Correct. Right now I plan on having it use standard aftermarket bolt handle threads, so that the user isn't totally married to this system.

Exactly where the bolt handle is placed will just take some trial and error, it is the last thing I'm worried about, as I'm tackling one piece at a time to my satisfaction.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Good luck with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Won't the extended bolt handle need to be drop to a lower level than were it is now to avoided a mounted scope. Good luck. I like the idea. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Dewey trigger linkage for the XP-100, mid grip, pistols would be something to study on for your concept. They are superb.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
16 years ago I ordered a Bushmaster bullpup.

There was a delay because of Y2K.

The trigger was so terrible, I never shot it. I just took it to a gun store and traded it for a Leupold scope boosted by Premier Reticle. Great scope.

Is the bad trigger inherent in the bullpup concept?

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Clarkm

The trigger was so terrible, I never shot it. I just took it to a gun store and traded it for a Leupold scope boosted by Premier Reticle. Great scope.

It is.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Made even moreso by the fact that it has to work around a magazine. The one's on the center grip XP-100 pistols didn't have that disadvantage to contend with.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 160user, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.