Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Nesika Bay was apparently bought by the Freedom Group and manufacturing was moved to the Dakota facility in SD. Do the current mfg. actions compare well to the original mfg actions? Are these actions still considered among the best custom actions? I am considering one of their SD mfg. full rifles. This rifle was put together by Nesika in 2011 or 2012.
Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually, to be totally correct, Dakota bought Nesika and moved the operation to Sturgis when Dakota was owned by Charlie Kokesh. He also acquired Miller single shot rifles and Walther cases under the Dakota Arms banner. Later, when things went very sour with Mr. Kokesh, Dakota was acquired by the Freedom Group. As far as I know, Dakota is still manufacturing Dakota Arms rifles and Nesika rifles and actions. Whether they still have Miller and Walther cases, I do not know.

I've not had a lot of experience with Nesika rifles made in Sturgis, but those that I have played with seemed perfectly fine.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had a couple of both. I couldn't tell a quality difference between the two. Excellent fit and finish, and smooooth.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had one from Washington State(Early One) and it was a PITA. Sent it back multiple times. I have no experience With the late model.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My experience with the current models from Dakota that I own is that they are well-built, tight, and accurate. If you want details on their current offerings, call Ward at Dakota.

"One man with courage makes a majority."

Hank
IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I know some of the early ones had failures in firing!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had extraction problems with mine. Wished I knew about Dan Armstrong in those days. How did the last fix work? They put a huge dog nut knob on the handle. It went down the road.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My sister's, husband's 3rd cousin had one of those new-fangled iPhones that wouldn't hold a charge...yeah, they are probably a piece of crap 😎 If the OP is looking to buy a CURRENT Nesika rifle that is made in Sturgis by Dakota who is owned by The Freedom Group (which by the way the OLD Nesika's have ZERO bearing on the current manufacturing/quality), call Ward Dobler at Dakota. Hell, Ward test fired the rifle you are considering, as he shoots ALL OF THEM. Then make up your mind.

Hank
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Nesika's just doesn't have the following they use to have, I hardly see them talked about these days, if this thread was about a Borden action or rifle there be 50 guys telling you how accurate and dependable they are.........

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
... if this thread was about a Borden action or rifle there be 50 guys telling you how accurate and dependable they are.........

Got that right.

I'd be one of them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ackley, I think you are right. It doesn't take too many quality issues (no matter how old) or more than a little negative internet press (no matter how irrelevant to current affairs) to create a stigma that is tougher than eau de skunk to rid. I'll consider myself lucky in the Nesika looks/quality/accuracy department, as they are truly amazing.

Hank
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
At one time I really wanted and was ready to buy a Nesika model V hunter until I talked to Speedy Gonzales and he told me he would not recommend buying one as he had a few customers that had FTF's with them, a few years later I was talking to Jim and he was getting ready to release his new actions so I ordered a couple and can say they are very reliable, these days we are swimming in Rem clones that have good track records,

but your right it doesn't take a whole lot to get negative press with the internet so the really good ones seem to really stand out, and the newer Nesika's very well may deserve some new praise ,but with the buy out and all the people having trouble getting there actions and super long lead times coupled with quality issues there popularity seems slow to come back!

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I recently received my first Borden build. I am very pleased with it. Found a whitetail load it likes and have put up the reloading stuff until next year. I am not seeking out a Nesika build but found one at a fair price. I am wanting a 6.5x47 as a dedicated whitetail gun and plan to load for my Borden 280ai with 160g ish bullets for going out west. The plan for the 6.5x47 would be that it is tack driver for me and that my young sons will be able to shoot it without much recoil.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bonefish, Get it! Your sons will love it and you'll have no regrets.

Hank
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd build on a Defiance.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Isn't Defiance the old Nesika Bay guys? I am kinda curious about the Bighorn Action. I am quite pleased with my Borden but wanting to do something different on the next build.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Defiance is Glen Harrison, founder of Nesika. Research what the bench rest crowd favors.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Let me guess.......Stolle Panda's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have Nesika Model G long action on a 1000 yard BR rifle.
http://www.nesikafirearms.com/classic_action.html
It has seen 1000s of rounds and it is flawless.
I would buy another.
I like Defiance for hunting and target work.
I own about 5 Pandas, most from 20 years ago. Still working fine.
And the one Nesika from SD.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a SD made Nesika sporter in 308 Win. I've experienced nothing but reliable, accurate function from the rifle since day one. Rifle shoots 1/2 MOA with handloads and is a dream to clean.

I would happily build a custom around that action should I ever be inclined.

Jim

Jim

"The skillful woodsman who knows his game, and who gets close, can keep himself in venison or moose meat with a rifle most of us would consider entirely inadequate." - Jack O'Connor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.