-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, but I read on the innernets that it'll get you killed ON THE STREETS!!!!!!

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
So, rather than be ridiculed, the thought of entering competitions for the purposes of training makes sense?

I mean, I don't want to tread too heavily in this forum. I want to make sure I clear everything I say with mister blue first, just so I don't run afoul of he and his buttkissers.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 11/30/15.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are you talking about?

Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
So, rather than be ridiculed

Who ridiculed you? Lemme know and we'll go beat them up together.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 12/01/15.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
What are you talking about?

Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
So, rather than be ridiculed

Who ridiculed you? Lemme know and we'll go beat them up together.

You guys are hurtin' my feelers

I'm gonna go "pie off" a corner and hug my .45 sick wink

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gmoats
It looks like a number of the participants on this thread, like myself, are a little long in the tooth. Since we’re “ranting” about training here are a couple of mine:

About a year ago, I attended a “tactical handgun” shoot for a fairly new club. One participant in particular caught my eye; he was a young man dressed in BDU’s, had a drop-thigh holster and wore a tactical, magazine-laden vest. He was wearing military gloves of some sort. I don’t know about the rest of his body, but tattoos graced his neck and both ear lobes had grommeted sized rings that you could hang a carabiner from. He wore a cap with the American Sniper “punisher skull” logo on it and had a long narrow goatee that hung down to his magazine vest projecting a James Yeager wannabe look. When told to “load and make ready,” he drew his handgun, brought it to center-chest and pushed it straight out into the most beautiful Isosceles Triangle stance that you’ve ever seen. Taking a quick sight picture on the first target, he brought the gun straight back to center-chest, tilted the gun 45 degrees starboard and smartly inserted a magazine. Racking the slide via a firm sling-shot, he brought the gun back to center-chest and then down into the holster. As he assumed his start position, he lowered his chin, slightly hunched his shoulders and shifted his weight to the balls of his feet causing him to lean toward the first target. He looked like an over caffeinated panther getting ready to pounce on a gazelle. When the buzzer went off, he drew the gun back to his center-chest, pushed the gun out into a perfect Isosceles stance and double-tapped the first three targets so quickly that I could hardly count the shots. With his finger straight along the frame, he ran to the barricade at the second and final position and engaged the last three targets with double-taps at an Uzi-rate-of-fire cadence. After the sixth shot, he brought the gun back to center-chest and checked his 6 looking over his right and left shoulders in a tactical genuflect that would make Rob Pincus turn green with envy. He unloaded and as we walked to the first bank of targets I asked him where he had trained. He said that he’d never taken a class from anyone, but spent alot of time on you tube and had bought some dvds! I don’t remember his total score but on the six total targets, two had no hits what-so-ever, two had one peripheral hit each, no targets had two A hits. The kid was a paragon of protocol and style and certainly looked tacti-cool, but couldn’t hit his butt with both hands.

He’s apparently used to pushing himself beyond his ability; problem is, that all he’s done. I get a little miffed at the condescension directed at training on a “square range” with stationary targets from a static position. I’m afraid that there’s a whole upcoming generation of Gen X’ers or Millennials whose sole skill is impersonating what they see on you tube.

Since I’m ranting about training, another burr under my saddle is the proliferation of shooting schools being run by Delta/SOCOM/Recon/Seal/Rangers just back from the desert with “modern” combat techniques. I briefly subscribed to an online training site run by a Seal that promised “new breakthough” techniques and tactics. What a joke that was. His first lesson was to put a mark on your front site to focus on. How’s that for break-through revelation! What most of those guys don’t know is that in the late 70’s and 80’s, most of those organizations went to the square range, stationary target, static position schools to learn to shoot! I was fortunate enough to have been in the first class that Ray ever ran at the Chapman Academy. Since I lived close, we became friends and I helped him with some classes. I remember the Seals coming to the Academy to work with Ray. Yes, he had a moving target (the Bianchi Cup mover), but the only moving that was done was a modification of the old Mexican Defense Course. They also went to Berryville to work with Bill Wilson and to MISS to work with John Shaw, two guys that never wore any kind of uniform or heard a shot fired outside the confines of IPSC, much less in anger. Apparently all of the square range, static training didn’t get them all killed as they kept coming back.

People decrying competitive shooting, primarily IPSC and IDPA would benefit by shutting up. “That stuff will get you killed on the street” is a mantra for those who aren’t good enough to be competitive. “What you do in practice you’ll do in a fight,” is spouted by shooters who primarily use the excuse of bad tactics allowed in competition to mask their inability to handle match pressure and/or shoot under the close scrutiny of judgmental observers. Are there silly rules? Yup. So what. It’s not “training” it’s “testing.” Man up, shoot and shut up!

OK, I get that things have progressed and that there are probably more advanced techniques and training styles; that doesn’t negate the virtue of past training techniques, nor the value of placing yourself on the line to compete once in a while, even if it’s bowling pins or cowboy action shooting, it’s pressure.

Sorry for the rant----

Yes.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Well, since Gmoats got started I'll chime in too.

I really believe that the reason "gamers" get such a bad rep is that nobody understands what they're doing....They just think "I can't hit a target that fast, so nobody else can either".

Sure, some folks spray-n-pray, but not the winners. In Production Division of USPSA the winners are hitting a 6"x11" target with 90% of their shots, regardless of the distance.

And they're doing it with guns that are nearly identical to carry guns, with the exception of barrel length. A lot of the carry guns posted here wouldn't be legal. So don't blather on about "race-guns".

And yes, they are reliable. As least the winners' guns are reliable. I beat someone at a match last year by 0.03 seconds, over six stages. A few months later I was beat by 1.5 seconds over six stages. ONE malfunction in a match is enough to ruin you. Sure, the losers are fighting their guns. But that's because they're losers. People who take the sport seriously don't have malfunctions. And when they do, they lose.

And yes, the stress is simulated. But until people are shooting at you in anger, the stress will be simulated. Even in the holy-grail of simunitions training, the stress is simulated. I do a lot of simunitions training and I've never, ever felt as stressed about it as I do in a competition.

For the weekend warriors, and there's nothing wrong with that, who shoot a local match with their friends a few times a year--I'm sure the stress can be somewhat ignored. But I've even seen those people, people with tactical training and jobs that require them to deal with stress on a daily basis, with hands that couldn't stop shaking just before a stage starts because the thought of having to shoot in front of everyone, and have everyone know exactly how well or how poorly they can shoot, absolutely terrified them.

I don't mind shooting in front of people anymore. I shoot in front of strangers on a nearly daily basis. But when you've invested $400 into a match, taken time off work, spent two days away from your family and have people who've invested money into your shooting expecting you to do well, there's a whole different kind of stress that comes up. There is no practice, there are no do-overs. You step up to the box and you can either perform on demand or not.

And the value of that stress, being required to perform cold and on demand with the whole world knowing if you sucked or not, cannot be over-emphasized.

In my opinion, the people who compete with the attitude that "it's just training" and DON'T try to win are doing themselves a tremendous disservice. I can "train" all by myself and work on specific weaknesses. DEALING WITH STRESS is the most beneficial part of competing. And when you deny yourself that stress in the name of "training", what you've done is denied yourself the most useful training you could get out of the entire day.

Double yes.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by gmoats
It looks like a number of the participants on this thread, like myself, are a little long in the tooth. Since we’re “ranting” about training here are a couple of mine:

About a year ago, I attended a “tactical handgun” shoot for a fairly new club. One participant in particular caught my eye; he was a young man dressed in BDU’s, had a drop-thigh holster and wore a tactical, magazine-laden vest. He was wearing military gloves of some sort. I don’t know about the rest of his body, but tattoos graced his neck and both ear lobes had grommeted sized rings that you could hang a carabiner from. He wore a cap with the American Sniper “punisher skull” logo on it and had a long narrow goatee that hung down to his magazine vest projecting a James Yeager wannabe look. When told to “load and make ready,” he drew his handgun, brought it to center-chest and pushed it straight out into the most beautiful Isosceles Triangle stance that you’ve ever seen. Taking a quick sight picture on the first target, he brought the gun straight back to center-chest, tilted the gun 45 degrees starboard and smartly inserted a magazine. Racking the slide via a firm sling-shot, he brought the gun back to center-chest and then down into the holster. As he assumed his start position, he lowered his chin, slightly hunched his shoulders and shifted his weight to the balls of his feet causing him to lean toward the first target. He looked like an over caffeinated panther getting ready to pounce on a gazelle. When the buzzer went off, he drew the gun back to his center-chest, pushed the gun out into a perfect Isosceles stance and double-tapped the first three targets so quickly that I could hardly count the shots. With his finger straight along the frame, he ran to the barricade at the second and final position and engaged the last three targets with double-taps at an Uzi-rate-of-fire cadence. After the sixth shot, he brought the gun back to center-chest and checked his 6 looking over his right and left shoulders in a tactical genuflect that would make Rob Pincus turn green with envy. He unloaded and as we walked to the first bank of targets I asked him where he had trained. He said that he’d never taken a class from anyone, but spent alot of time on you tube and had bought some dvds! I don’t remember his total score but on the six total targets, two had no hits what-so-ever, two had one peripheral hit each, no targets had two A hits. The kid was a paragon of protocol and style and certainly looked tacti-cool, but couldn’t hit his butt with both hands.

He’s apparently used to pushing himself beyond his ability; problem is, that all he’s done. I get a little miffed at the condescension directed at training on a “square range” with stationary targets from a static position. I’m afraid that there’s a whole upcoming generation of Gen X’ers or Millennials whose sole skill is impersonating what they see on you tube.

Since I’m ranting about training, another burr under my saddle is the proliferation of shooting schools being run by Delta/SOCOM/Recon/Seal/Rangers just back from the desert with “modern” combat techniques. I briefly subscribed to an online training site run by a Seal that promised “new breakthough” techniques and tactics. What a joke that was. His first lesson was to put a mark on your front site to focus on. How’s that for break-through revelation! What most of those guys don’t know is that in the late 70’s and 80’s, most of those organizations went to the square range, stationary target, static position schools to learn to shoot! I was fortunate enough to have been in the first class that Ray ever ran at the Chapman Academy. Since I lived close, we became friends and I helped him with some classes. I remember the Seals coming to the Academy to work with Ray. Yes, he had a moving target (the Bianchi Cup mover), but the only moving that was done was a modification of the old Mexican Defense Course. They also went to Berryville to work with Bill Wilson and to MISS to work with John Shaw, two guys that never wore any kind of uniform or heard a shot fired outside the confines of IPSC, much less in anger. Apparently all of the square range, static training didn’t get them all killed as they kept coming back.

People decrying competitive shooting, primarily IPSC and IDPA would benefit by shutting up. “That stuff will get you killed on the street” is a mantra for those who aren’t good enough to be competitive. “What you do in practice you’ll do in a fight,” is spouted by shooters who primarily use the excuse of bad tactics allowed in competition to mask their inability to handle match pressure and/or shoot under the close scrutiny of judgmental observers. Are there silly rules? Yup. So what. It’s not “training” it’s “testing.” Man up, shoot and shut up!

OK, I get that things have progressed and that there are probably more advanced techniques and training styles; that doesn’t negate the virtue of past training techniques, nor the value of placing yourself on the line to compete once in a while, even if it’s bowling pins or cowboy action shooting, it’s pressure.

Sorry for the rant----

Yes.

Dave

….in the realm of 24hr Campfiredom, I have arrived!!! :-)

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My thoughts on training have evolved, and they tend to follow the OP’s chart to some extent. The interesting thing is that it is an adaptation of what I do in archery for bowhunting, which is to start out cold at the longest distance at which I would shoot unwounded game and try for accuracy, close the distances, vary the angles and pick up the speed, try some extreme distances, and conclude with accuracy at the original distance. I like to start and finish strong and make mental notes for improvement during the next session. Also, because shooting is a perishable skill, a layoff may require going back some steps rather than trying to pick up where I left off.

Trigger time is good, whether it is with the carry guns, hunting rifles, plinkers and even the bow. (The bow really taught me to focus on the front sight and to follow through.) Stress is good, whether it involves complex problem solving or physical skills or some combination of both. It doesn’t even have to involve guns. Training is good, whether it is classroom, dry fire, live fire, force on force, laser simulation, building clearing, etc. Competition is good. Hunting is good. It’s all good. I don’t see how anyone can argue that any one thing is THE WAY, because there are too many variables and each person is different.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 264mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 32 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,060
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.