Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It seems like more & more hunting shows end with a dramatic spine shot. While obviously effective when executed properly, I gotta admit to being concerned by the fact that many shots don't seem to be targeted on the boiler room. As we know, an errant spine shot can end up with a temporarily prostrate animal, who then bounds away never to be seen again. (Or, at least, not until the coyotes are done.)

Anyone else notice this? If so, is it being done on purpose?

Murphy was a grunt.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are a lot of "stars" who can't shoot for crap. Hitting the animal is on purpose, by luck. Where they hit it isn't always on purpose. Some of the bow shots are as bad as they get. Center the guts, then look at the camera and scream about smoking 'im. Drives me nuts.

Last edited by Huntingnut; 12/05/15. Reason: can't type
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No disrespect intended, but I can't think of many questions I'm happier to be unable to answer.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Their forte is groundsluicing turkeys with a shotgun so I wouldn't expect much more.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I remember watching one show where they showed how they were sighting in their muzzleloaders and it was a hoot. When the shooter finally cut the right edge of a three inch circle, he called it good. I would have said it was 1.5 inches off to the right.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
Center the guts, then look at the camera and scream about smoking 'im. Drives me nuts.

YES !!
Also, one of the last hunting shows I watched was an Elk hunt where the 'star' shot and the bull was seen 'carrying' his right hind leg as the elk limped into the brush.
Next scene, the ?shooter? was posed behind the (or some) elk's antlers.

NAUSEATING !!!!!!

I no longer watch any of them.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by VernAK
Their forte is groundsluicing turkeys with a shotgun so I wouldn't expect much more.

Not to draw away from the horribleness of most hunting shows. But do you generally take your turkeys on the wing Vern?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My gripe is that they shoot in broad daylight but have "hero" photos using lights. Muddy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've noticed than most of the animals shot dead in their tracks are done in by Women hunters. I also as said above most animals taken by the so called hunting hosts are shot in daylight but recovered after dark.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TheKid

Not to draw away from the horribleness of most hunting shows. But do you generally take your turkeys on the wing Vern?

As God is my witness, I thought they could fly. grin

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I think he is intimating that perhaps they should at least be shot on the ground with a rifle. They have a head the size of a tennis ball for pete's sake.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
But more on topic, I have wondered the same thing as the OP...but Ive met some of these guys and very few are capable enough at shooting to plan a spine shot.
And the bowhunters....God, don't even get me started on those gut shooting " if in doubt, back out" mouth breathers....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Requirements for a hunting show:

1) trust fund
2) IQ not to exceed 90
3) tacticool gear

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Please explain what hunting show stars are. Are they the stars in the constellation Orion?

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ingwe

I think he is intimating that perhaps they should at least be shot on the ground with a rifle. They have a head the size of a tennis ball for pete's sake.....

Wish we could shoot them with a rifle around here. I'd be more interested in turkey hunting. You get caught shooting a turkey with a rifle around here and it will cost you a fortune!

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Please explain what hunting show stars are. Are they the stars in the constellation Orion?

Steve.

You should be one. You have the requisite IQ

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Originally Posted by ingwe

Wish we could shoot them with a rifle around here. I'd be more interested in turkey hunting. You get caught shooting a turkey with a rifle around here and it will cost you a fortune!

Having shot turkeys in the spring and fall, with rifle, shotgun, and pistol, both on the ground and on the wing I must say that a shotgun is certainly my favorite tool for them. Getting them all worked up and coming to the call, gobbling, strutting, and posturing while you try to stay hidden well enough they don't spot you before getting into shotgun range is way more fun to me than pulling up to the hay patch and rolling down the window to take ones head off with a varmint rifle. YMMV

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think he is intimating that perhaps they should at least be shot on the ground with a rifle.

Not legal in Arkansas. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TATELAW

Do you know or recall when that changed?

I hunted W of McComb for a number of yrs and then moved back to ArK. in 1986. <<During that time>>, you could hunt turkeys with a 'rifle' or even 'handgun' legally. On one occasion we bumped into a warden while we were hunting.

He was impressed that one of us was using a handgun.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Steve.

You should be one. You have the requisite IQ

Ahumm, he was being sarcastic!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

398 members (17CalFan, 1Longbow, 160user, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,651
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.