-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I stirred some shiite with my comments on ground sluicing turkeys.......YES, I have killed three turkeys and all on the wing [hardly difficult either] ....and yes I understand it's probably a safety issue in many areas but just how many hours of "prime time" must we consume with this effort?.....I guess the answer is in the ratings somewhere.

Having seen and been lightly involved in a bit of this Outdoor TV stuff, I feel compelled to give those guys a jab in the ribs now and then but also understand the cost of producing exotic and remote specie hunts so the turkeys and baited deer hunts are affordable hunts to fill some of the contracted time.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll say I'll never be connected with that type of filming ever again...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steven Rinella is the only one worth a schit.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by shaman
In most instances, the rifle restrictions on turkey are due to the perception that a hunter would be more likely to hit another hunter with a rifle load than shot out of shotgun as the bullet is thought to travel further. The fear here is driven from hunting on crowded public land, where you never know what's beyond your target.

In truth, a 38 SPL target load would be perfectly adequate to kill a turkey at close range and probably be in the dirt within 80 yards. However, you probably won't see these rifle restrictions coming off any time soon. In reality, if you took my example and said it was legal to shoot 38 SPL at turkey, somebody would then try to push it with a 38 SPL +P and there would be some idjut out there with a .223 REM trying to take them at 200 yards. I see the point. I just wish I could shoot 38 SPL at turkey here in Kentucky.

As to the original topic: I used to watch a lot of hunting shows, but it was because I had a dog that loved to watch them. Barney really took those shows seriously, and we had a lot of fun together.

In my experience, the average TV show hunter is a lot like the average hunter I see coming into the local deer processor. Some deer come in blown in half. Some look like pincushions.
Most hunters start out with good intentions, and it just does not always go so well. The TV guys are not all that bad, they just do it on TV.

The reason you see so many trophy shots taken in the dark is that it takes a while to do the setup, and the video cameras are not as sensitive relative to the human eye. Any deer shot around sundown is going to require artificial lights, even if the human eye can still see it.

Take this as an example:

Tagging out, 2014

I shot this doe at 4:15 PM. She fell just inside the treeline about 60 yards from where I hit her. Sundown was at 5:30. It was right at sundown but still plenty light when I got the truck to her, but I had to use a flash to shoot.

To the human eye, this was a perfect early evening, but to the less sensitive camera it was black as night.

Turkeys ain't hard to kill. We kill quite a few each fall at 100 and even further with sub sonic 22 lr hp. They dont' go far. The shot doesn't bother the deer. Heck it rarely bothers the rest of the turkeys.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What especially gets me is the "stars" who act like teenagers having their first orgasm after they hit a deer. Nowadays the way I watch the majority of shows is with the mute on and my finger on the "skip" button. This way I don't have to crank the volume through the roof to hear the whisperers.

Jim

IC B2

fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
What especially gets me is the "stars" who act like teenagers having their first orgasm after they hit a deer.

They walk out of the woods with a Pee-Chee held in front?

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

Turkeys ain't hard to kill. We kill quite a few each fall at 100 and even further with sub sonic 22 lr hp. They dont' go far. The shot doesn't bother the deer. Heck it rarely bothers the rest of the turkeys.

Oh, I have no doubt. That's why turkeys were nearly extirpated from east of the Mississippi. The only reason why turkey is hard to kill, is because of all the rules imposed to deliberately handicap the hunter.

Don't get me wrong, if you play by the rules, a spring gobbler is great sport and I really do enjoy it. It just bugs me some times that a $.25 pistol round would do the trick and instead I'm shooting a $2 12 GA round at them.

The states around here make you shoot them with shot out of a shotgun, and most guys end up shooting an $8 round that generates the same recoil as an elephant gun. I don't go quite that far over the edge. I shoot a lead #4 3-inch 12 GA.

I love the term "groundsluicing" and intend on using it this year. It perfectly describes it.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me that at woods ranges, a mild rifle round is more sporting than 2oz of high-tech shot. We can use both, Spring or Fall. I usually use 2 3/4" shotshells on smaller parcels of public land for safety in the Spring. For Fall turkey, I have to go to a different county where it's allowed.

Years ago, when I belonged to a hunt club in VA, turkeys were legal during the deer season, which added some interest to the hunt as that area was crawling with them.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, also on the subject of turkeys, any one of these TV dudes will be the first to tell you how wily and wary they are ( unless they are from the south, then the turkeys are often called 'weary'...)
But Bubba has not much problem sneaking up on them holding just a turkey tail fan in front of his face and ground sluicing them from a few feet away. Literally.
REALLY smart birds! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Well, also on the subject of turkeys, any one of these TV dudes will be the first to tell you how wily and wary they are ( unless they are from the south, then the turkeys are often called 'weary'...)
But Bubba has not much problem sneaking up on them holding just a turkey tail fan in front of his face and ground sluicing them from a few feet away. Literally.
REALLY smart birds! grin

That's because they use Scent Lok and Ozonics......Duuhhhhh!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Turkey's can be difficult to hunt BECAUSE they are so stupid...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't understand why anyone would care how or what weapon you use to take a Turkey as long as it is legal.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Shooting ducks off the water is legal too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Not while they can edit the unnecessary results out of the final program.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shooting those ducks on the water can be tricky if swimming with the current.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VernAK
Shooting those ducks on the water can be tricky if swimming with the current.

LMAO

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As much as I love calling turkeys, I will be the first to admit they have their shortcomings. It all depends how you encounter them. As the focus of a TV show, they make good subjects. The story is easy to tell and fairly easy to video, especially if you can set up on the edge of a field. That's why you see so much of it on these shows.

On the other hand, I've been out sipping coffee, glassing flocks before season and had 10 gobblers come right up to me and take turns displaying for me like I am a hen. I've had hens come up and peck at my bootlaces. I've had hens come into the blind. One of their biggest shortcomings I have noticed is that they all seem to lose their wariness inside 10 feet. That is, if you get them in really-really close, they stop thinking in terms of you being a potential threat and you just become part of the scenery.

They also can't figure out the whole idea of blinds and the whole this-inside-that gestalt. Pop-up blinds are a complete mystery to them. You can put one out in the middle of the field, and they'll come out and mill around it like it is not there.

On the other hand, after 35 years of hunting, I still can't get over the thrill of having a gobbler honor my call and come and strut in front of me.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I don't watch many hunting shows because I just can't stand the hosts. All about self aggrandizement and the screaming and carrying on when they kill something is mostly nauseating.

Zero respect shown for the animal or the hunt!

Last edited by Henry McCann; 12/10/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What irritates me is that every time they shoot an animal in the evening, they automatically state that they "need to wait until morning" for one reason or another.

I understand that their are circumstances where you might want to wait, but good light for the "walk up to it" and hero shots con't count.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by shaman
That's why turkeys were nearly extirpated from east of the Mississippi.

Extirpated

Literacy is a virtue.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 76 invisible), 3,301 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,433
Posts18,528,595
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.