Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Delicious Cottontails!

Normally I don't shoot them. Only when I am hungry.

Had fried rabbit the last two nights for supper! Did so good on them before hunting season, now that its over I think I might go back for more.....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hey Shrap, you know shooting bunnies that are not on the run is no better than shooting grouse in a tree...

Or just use a rifle smile :

I musta missed the memo too.... blush

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I agree to both parts. I only shoot cotton tails to eat. Jacks are another story.

Nothing wrong with eating jacks. There's a lot more to them and they're just as good.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You guys know how to have fun and that's what I'm all about! Take care Shrap, hope all goes well with the sergery.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Son of a gun can sure grow a beard fast.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
This is a pretty good year for rabbits in Colorado too. Best I've seen it in years. One of my sons and I went out a couple weeks ago and had no trouble shooting our limits in short order.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
We used a few to make Shenandoah Valley rabbit casserole, a recipe I got from a Marlin magazine ad back in the 70's or 80's. That's been my favorite recipe for rabbits ever since.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shenandoah Valley rabbit casserole

Here's the recipe:

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/d2po7cp/shenandoah-valley-rabbit-casserole.html

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Hey Shrap, you know shooting bunnies that are not on the run is no better than shooting grouse in a tree...

Or just use a rifle smile :

I musta missed the memo too.... blush

[Linked Image]

Ingwe,

I was making fun of a poster on here on only shows up to agitate, especially for political reasons. He took Shrap to task for not wing shooting birds. I don't have anything polite to say about the person, so I will leave it at that.

Personally I cannot recall the last time I did not use a rifle or handgun on a grouse. Shooting from the bottom to top, out of the trees. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep paddler is on the stupid side of the idiot gauge.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Shenandoah Valley rabbit casserole

Here's the recipe:

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/d2po7cp/shenandoah-valley-rabbit-casserole.html

That's it! Laurrapin good!

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Son of a gun can sure grow a beard fast.

Originally Posted by shrapnel

It is hard to reconcile with the aging and conditions that contribute to your inability to be as mobile as you were just a few years ago...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oops, you must have missed the whole story...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Shrapnel,

I took these pictures three days ago and intended to post them. We have about 3 1/2 acres of yard and this is what most of it looks like. These tracks were accumulated over seven days (last snow). Should be able to harvest 10-15 and never leave the yard.
- memtb

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They are here in my yard. Six or 8 in back and three or four out front.
[Linked Image]
Cookie is rather fond of them and I'll be in deep stuff if I ait them out. This one is named the Doug Fir Bunny.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
Shrapnel,

I took these pictures three days ago and intended to post them. We have about 3 1/2 acres of yard and this is what most of it looks like. These tracks were accumulated over seven days (last snow). Should be able to harvest 10-15 and never leave the yard.
- memtb

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is obvious this may be the biggest year for rabbits in a long time. All that 7 year cycle stuff is good for bedtime stories and superstitious people that believe in that...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's good and bad in my job.
On the bad side I do rabbit control for a roading project and we're not allowed to shoot on site so I have to poison them and gas the burrows.
On the good side I do rabbit and bird control for our local airport and we're allowed to shoot anything any time there.
There's Rabbits, Mallards, Pheasants, Geese, Paradise Ducks, even the odd Swan. All of them have to be shot with a suppressed .22 rifle.
We did one rabbit control job locally where we were night shooting on an old wild life safari park with the big high fences.
We walked through one gate and shone the spotlight onto a hill face covered in rabbits. I shot through a box of .22 shells without moving more than ten feet. I'd empty a mag, drop it and pop in a new one then shine the light back where I'd just dropped 5 or 6 rabbits and there'd be another 5 or 6 sitting there.
We walked one hill and ended up groping our way back to the gate along the fence because it was too dangerous to walk in the open because of all the BIG burrows. We went back in day light and I got a photo of myself waist deep in a burrow. I stood looking at a bare eroded face about 4 feet high and maybe 8 feet across and there were 10 holes burrowed into it.
We suggested on that job they get in touch with the council and get a team in to shoot, gas and poison because at our rates they'd spend $10000 and still have rabbits every where.

The original international turd
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Maarty, What you need is some coyotes,foxes,wolves,and some cats! Of course,introducing animals not indigenous can open a "whole new can of worms"! Much like the introduction of rabbits! I guess you just can't win.Maybe you just need to get a lot more .22's,and make the best of a bad situation! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't complain about most of those being introduced, it'd give me something else to charge people for shooting lol.
I love getting paid for doing what I enjoy

The original international turd
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda miss rabbit huntin, doesn't seem to be an abundance in this area.

Usta go as a kid and sometimes only take 3 bullets and try to come home with three rabbits.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Big year for cottontails in western Colorado for sure. I can hardly get out of the driveway without running over one.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,166
Posts18,484,492
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.