Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Brad
I've never paid $1200 for a MT... most I've ever paid was $1100, and most were $1050 or less. NIB. My current 270 MT was $1000.

I get not wanting to experiment, but for a lot that's part of the fun... $150 for components is cheap entertainment.

If you want a consistent tack driver requiring no experimentation that is as physically appealing and has the build of the Kimber you'll be in a lot deeper than $1100... a lot deeper.

Good post Brad and a lot of truth to it.. The closest thing I have to a montana is a custom built on a pre 64 model 70 action. I have more than that kind of money in the rifle and I don't get anything more than a montana offers. In retrospect, the Montana would have probably been a better (more cost effective) way to go. Yes, I've been fondling some of the new Montana's at the LGS.. Finally somewhere locally has some!!!! Pretty nice rifles brad...I'll buy one some day. I will do as you suggest with the bedding and almost guarantee it to be a shooter when I'm done with it... Even with my crappy bench rest shooting technique... wink

BSA, I've got two Kimber MT's right now (308 and 270) and two m70's (308 and 270). One M70 just went into a McMillan Edge with PT&G Bottom metal. The other will get the same treatment. Basically I'll have $1450 in each of those compared to $1050 for both my MT's... and the M70's still need bedding and tweaking!

M70's in a McMillan finish up more around the weight I think an all-around rifle should weigh, and I especially like the older M70's with open trigger for a hunting rifle.

But they ARE more money...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yup, the 308 and the Montana are probably the most perfectly paired caliber to weight and action out of the entire lineup. They're not fussy. 150PP and 165 Fusion shoot so good that I stopped looking for any other ammo for my Montana. To me it embodies what the Montana rifle is all about. It's not complicated, it's lightweight, you grab it, hunt and get the job done.

Originally Posted by mystro
I think you may be blowing this way out of proportion. There is no rifle that is immune to experimentation of which bullet weights they like. What if your rifle likes your ideal bullet weight right off the bat? My Kimber was that way. A $16 box of 150 grain Power Points are a sub 1"MOA out of my Montana. Done, now take it hunting and be happy.

You don't say, but probably a 308 Win?

I've had 3 (maybe 4 MT - can't remember) 308's... all would shoot sub moa. It's the no-brainer Kimber purchase. If you're not in the mood to experiment/fiddle, the 308 is the only way to go.

I think they'll shoot rocks moa.

Last edited by mystro; 12/06/15.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And the 308 handles elk nicely grin

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Beautiful elk kill. What bullet did you use? Curious about what the bullet looked like and its performance on such a large animal.
Looks like my set up even the sling. What is the black on the barrel?

Last edited by mystro; 12/06/15.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Electric tape... covers the muzzle, and spare wrapped on the barrel. It's a critical addition in a lot of hunting conditions, especially snow...

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That's what I thought. I use it as well on late season hunts. We currently don't have any snow yet. I have never seen any one wrap spare tape around the barrel. That's brilliant, I'm going to use that idea.
Electric tape... covers the muzzle, and spare wrapped on the barrel. It's a critical addition in a lot of hunting conditions, especially snow...

The Lord loves humility.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10705347/No_black_electrical_tape!

Just make sure it's the right color...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
I know this has been discussed before. Since Brad mentioned it, anybody care to share benchers technique with lightweights?

Probably if you search you can find more but here is is in a nutshell. Lightweight rifles magnify any inconsistency in your bench technique. Stands to reason since a lighter rifle will move a LOT more before the bullet leaves the bore than a heavier rifle. So any variation in your hold or where you place the sand bags or whatever will change the POI. That is why light rifles generally shoot better when you have a firm consistent hold on the forearm.
The wife's 308 SA shoots fine after shortaction smoker's tweaks. And it sure is purty.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you.

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I'm no fan of Howa or checkered fiberglass but to answer your question....No

But I prefer a 700 action in a Ti stock on a project rifle

The Nosler Patriot needs a blind magazine option and I would be more inclined to bite

Laughin'....

What do you think the Patriot is?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
looking for that one end all/be all/do all rifle that I don't have to spend 2K on-thinking the kimber 84M in .308 would be about right for most everything. What else compares well to this gun as far as quality, weight, accuracy and cost?

Nothing.

Period.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
I know this has been discussed before. Since Brad mentioned it, anybody care to share benchers technique with lightweights?

Same as everything else.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Go ahead and bash this answer if you like...a Savage 11 lightweight is 5.5lbs and if I had to bet on one or the other to shoot...also for the price of the Kimber you could probably buy the Savage AND a McMillan Edge.

Your savage 11 weighs 5.5lbs?

Travis

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
My next $1300ish rifle may very well be a Nosler

Curious why. Is it a cartridge availability thing?

Nope.....they are just next in line for me

It's because I've owned 5 Kimbers.....I have 2 that will stay in my care

The other three I couldn't care less what happens to them......I have no use for a poor shooting rifle heavy or light

It's funny to hear that if you take shortactionstroker's Kimber fixes and apply to your rifle all will be good....shouldn't a $1200 rifle shoot without being fixed.....yes it should

Friends don't let friends buy Kimbers

Yawn.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
My next $1300ish rifle may very well be a Nosler

Curious why. Is it a cartridge availability thing?

Nope.....they are just next in line for me

It's because I've owned 5 Kimbers.....I have 2 that will stay in my care

The other three I couldn't care less what happens to them......I have no use for a poor shooting rifle heavy or light

It's funny to hear that if you take shortactionstroker's Kimber fixes and apply to your rifle all will be good....shouldn't a $1200 rifle shoot without being fixed.....yes it should

Friends don't let friends buy Kimbers

Yawn.

Yea, I pretty much go through SAS's fixes on all my rifles, sometimes before I ever shoot them. It's not like it's hard...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never paid $1200 for a MT... most I've ever paid was $1100, and most were $1050 or less. NIB. My current 270 MT was $1000.

I get not wanting to experiment, but for a lot that's part of the fun... $150 for components is cheap entertainment.

If you want a consistent tack driver requiring no experimentation that is as physically appealing and has the build of the Kimber you'll be in a lot deeper than $1100... a lot deeper.

Hell, 1050.00 will get you an Edge and black ADL 700, but you gotta throw another 5 bills at it for the barrel and 'smith if you intend to shoot it.

For a one and only I might want a 7-08.

Dave

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good post Brad and a lot of truth to it.. The closest thing I have to a montana is a custom built on a pre 64 model 70 action. I have more than that kind of money in the rifle and I don't get anything more than a montana offers. In retrospect, the Montana would have probably been a better (more cost effective) way to go. Yes, I've been fondling some of the new Montana's at the LGS.. Finally somewhere locally has some!!!! Pretty nice rifles brad...I'll buy one some day. I will do as you suggest with the bedding and almost guarantee it to be a shooter when I'm done with it... Even with my crappy bench rest shooting technique... wink

BSA, I've got two Kimber MT's right now (308 and 270) and two m70's (308 and 270). One M70 just went into a McMillan Edge with PT&G Bottom metal. The other will get the same treatment. Basically I'll have $1450 in each of those compared to $1050 for both my MT's... and the M70's still need bedding and tweaking!

M70's in a McMillan finish up more around the weight I think an all-around rifle should weigh, and I especially like the older M70's with open trigger for a hunting rifle.

But they ARE more money...

If you still have my old 308 Model 70 and Condition Yellow didn't screw it up, it needed absolutely nothing. It was one of the most accurate factory rifles out of the box I've ever owned. The trigger on that 70 was really good too.

That's one rifle that I should have never sold. Even after the sale, I sent him a few messages trying to buy it back because it had a little sentimental value too. He assured me he would let me know if it ever went on the block.

I'm a Kimber fan, but Kimber has never produced a rifle that would hang with that one out of the box....period.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
For a rough and tumble rifle, I'd look at a Remington XCR2 in a McM Edge. It will cost you a little bit more, but it'd be one tough rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agree, Joel, with the caveat that my first-gen XCR has started sprouting discoloration in some spots. Still, a great coating. The XCR2's sure look better than my yellow XCR.

A well-executed short action Rem700 Mountain Rifle is pretty damn sweet, too. Ultralight 'glass stock, PT&G aluminum trigger guard,, Talleys, and a Leupold 2.5-8 is how my 7-08 MR rolls. It's light. It shoots.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A Remington XCR2 in an Edge stock weighs the same as a Kimber Montana?

Travis

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 260Remguy, 54 invisible), 15,335 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,915
Posts18,538,943
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.