Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I you were going to pick between the 2 which one would you buy?

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RAR

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks BSA.......anyone else??

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Vanguard hands down for me in a deer rifle. I like the availability of the fast Weatherby calibers too. My RAR 06 is OK on function and shoots well enough but is too light to balance or point well for me. Sighted in my cousin's 300 Wby with Talley one piece mounts this year and was hitting the 500 yard target by shot # 12. My sample size is small but there is a big difference in how they feel and shoot to me. I was thinking of selling the RAR and picking ups 257 Wby for a perfect antelope gun.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Vanguard seems a bit on the heavy for a walking rifle.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
1gun, I know it's not what you asked but I'd split the difference and get a Hawkeye. All-Weather if you can find one.

John

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Vanguards are well made traditional looking guns. But as heavy as a boat anchor. I've had a couple and they are gone. I have other "nice" rifles, but the RAR's are an awful lot of accuracy for the money.

I like mine a lot as a truck gun or something for local meat hunting. They are too new to have proven themselves long term as a rifle I'd recommend for a long distance hunt I paid money for. But so far no complaints.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Ok guys so what would you recommend in the 7.5-8 pound range all up at the $5-600 price range? Scopes going to be a leupold fxII 6X36

Last edited by 1gunhuntr; 12/07/15.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
The Vanguard hands down and even more so if we are talking about the S2 version. Mine in 7mm RM is proving to be a very accurate rifle.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1gunhuntr
Vanguard seems a bit on the heavy for a walking rifle.

ditto for me on the Vanguard.......RAR all day long
But for a little more , I would go with a Tikka grin

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Tikka might be a consideration, a slight one but a consideration none the less.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What do you intend to hunt with this rifle - what calibers are you thinking of shooting? If you want a 223 to put behind the seat of your truck or atv get the RAR. I use my Vanguard for elk hunting with shots over 300 yards more common than not.

My all around do everything recommendation is the Tikka in 300 WSM with a Zeiss 3-9 Conquest at under $1,000 it is light but solid and works for just about everything. If you are shooting white tails at a feeder at 75 yards you don't really need that.

If an old fat guy like me can carry a Vanguard hunting elk in a walk in area wth lots of climbs starting over 8,000 feet it can't be that heavy.....but it is certainly heavier on the way out with a pack full of elk meat - the good kind of heavy.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
1gun,

Was & bough the Ruger American. Couldn't be happier.

Lefty C

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Spec, going to be used for a whitetail still hunting gun.I mainly use my marlin336 for the task.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1gunhuntr
Ok guys so what would you recommend in the 7.5-8 pound range all up at the $5-600 price range? Scopes going to be a leupold fxII 6X36

http://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-m77r-hawkeyer-308-all-weather.html#.VmZav9IrJkg

Ed
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another option if Whittakers still has any of them is the Marlin XS7 Stainless 7mm-08 at about $275. Mine with Talley rings and a Monarch UCC 3-9x40 goes 7.5 lbs and the last 3 shot group I shot out of it was 1/2 inch. I've got about $500 in the whole setup.

To me it's way more gun than the RAR. I thought about an RAR myself but after handling them some, they just feel cheap. And I'm a huge Ruger fan. I think it's the stock. If I had one, I'd have to get an aftermarket stock for it. The Marlin feels more like a real rifle, much as a Vanguard does. The Vanguard just does it in a much heavier package.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Vanguard is the same as the Howa 1500, and Whittaker's ( Short Action Smokers) Shop, carries them for $329. I had one delivered to my FFL guy for $345.

It is replacing a Ruger Am. Predator for me...I just have issues with the Ruger, and in a year plus, just haven't been able to warm up to it, no matter how much I've tried... its real accurate.... but so is the Howa...

plus the Howa feels like a real gun in my hands, where the RAR feels like a Wannabe...

If it is a 7/08 you might be wanting, then Tatelaw's suggestion of the Marlin XS7 is a preferable alternative IMHO over the RAR.....

I made the decision, by holding the Ruger and shouldering it with my eyes closed concentrating how it felt... and then did so with the Howa....made my decision off of that..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
As stated, the Vanguard is a heavier gun, BUT you may prefer a heavier gun. Depends, if you're in a blind all day or going after mountain sheep.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Now I understand your desire for a lightweight quick pointing rifle, but it will be hard to beat your Marlin with any scoped bolt action rifle. My hunting areas are mostly wide open both here and Colorado but the biggest buck I ever saw locally would have been on my wall with my old lever action and was gone before I could bring my scoped tang safety Ruger 7 mag to bear.

In your situation I might look at a BLR or BAR in a 308 based cartridge, but if you are set on a bolt the compact RAR would be my choice. I'd add a low power variable with a lighted reticle - Trijicon, Leupold, or similar to speed up target acquisition.

My grandfather liked to still hunt, we had thicker woods in his day and he used a scoped semi-auto Remington in 30-06 so he was fast in the thick stuff but could reach cross canyon when necessary.

I sometimes hunt thick timber for elk and have thought a short semi-auto in 35 Whelan or similar would be just the rifle for the task. But I'm stuck on the flat shooting reach out and touch them calibers and would probably go with a 325WSM or other oddball when it came down to it. My fathers old 06 shoots terribly and it might get re-bored to a short barreled woods rifle in 35 caliber, but that is just because it is kind of useless now.

Good luck on your search - the optic will probably makevthe biggest difference.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Vanguard.

Not even comparable IMO.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (219 Wasp, 1minute, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,027
Posts18,500,540
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.