Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
And don't forget about the Austin Officer who shot a perp at approximately 100 yards.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by deflave
An Active Shooter targets you from 65yds away.

He is closing distance.

You are behind adequate cover.

Dave

My first reaction would be to try and make it 100+ yards, and from there, try to leave that end of the county as quickly as possible.

You're going to leave cover while I close distance on you with an AR?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've got enough threats inside 3 yards than worry about outside 50. I'd be the first to admit that YMMV.

Try watching the news some time.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This predates the channelized frozen food aisle at Walmart.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You're going to leave cover while I close distance on you with an AR?

It depends. If I'm stuck out in an open parking lot, no. Besides, why are you closing on me with your AR? Is it something I said in the previous post? If so, I'm sorry I offended you. If it's about your wife, I'm sorry. It was over 30 years ago, and I didn't know you two were even dating. Put the gun down and I'll buy you a drink.

In most everyday situations, I'm not in a wide open lot with no other choices. If I was in my average Walmart lot on an average day, I'd do everything I could to evade the danger and save the option of shooting for the odd possibility that I get cornered.

Look, I'm no hero. I started carrying, because it would be damned inconvenient for my family to live without me. That being said, I'm going to do everything I can to evade a shooter. From the sound of it, there are plenty of others on here that feel they can handle the situation. I'll leave the field to them.

The thing of it is, I do read the news, and most of the gun-related murders in our region have nothing to do with this sort of scenario. The bulk of what I read have something to do with a home invasion and the rest are a couple of guys from the hood settling an argument with handguns. I just don't see a lot of confrontations that involve airmail, and they don't involve AR-style weapons. If that became a regular occurrence in a particular neighborhood, I'd avoid.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You really can't see a need to engage a person at 50yds with a handgun?

Is that what you're honestly stating?

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When people refuse to train for longer shots, to me it just seems like they're being lazy. Chances are, they suck at precision shots, or shots beyond 7-15 yards, so they only want to do what makes them look good.

And to just automatically rule out any chance it will ever be needed...good luck with that one.

But hey, it's his life.

But I personally don't want to feel as if I'm unarmed just because the guy won't stand there at 7-15 yards and strike a B27 pose for me.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No.

What I'm saying is that the vast majority of instances I know I will encounter when I carry concealed are generally going to be very close things.

I can shoot a pistol. I can hit targets at a considerable distance with a pistol, but most of that proficiency is not going to come into play when I'm in town. Outside of town, where the distances might stretch out, I'm usually armed with something other than a pistol and it is not concealed.

I conceal carry for those instances where I cannot evade a situation. If you start shooting at one end of the Walmart, I'm on my way out of the other end of the store. If you drive by the gas station while I'm filling up and start spraying bullets, I'm hitting the deck and trying to put an engine block between myself and the action. If you're bunched up with your friends on the sidewalk, I'll cross 2 blocks down to avoid you. If I hear shots in a particular neighbourhood, I'll avoid that street for years. If its my own neighbourhood, I'll move. I used to drive through bad neighbourhoods before I got my CCW. Now I go out of my way to avoid them.

One thing is for sure: now that I am carrying concealed, the last thing I want to do is fire that weapon at someone. I am going to exercise every option to evade and escape before I come out shooting. If I've got 50 yards worth of wiggle room, you can bet I'm going to exploit it every way I can.

One other thing: Most of the examples I've seen in this thread concern LEO's responding with deadly force. I appreciate those of you who sign up to go in harm's way. I'm just a husband and a father and a grandfather who wants to keep breathing for his family.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No.

Good.

Dave

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In a Walmart parking lot? Need cover? Just hide behind a fat woman

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
This whole thread seems to be based on people trying to rationalize their incompetence with a pistol.

You don't know what your fight will look like until it happens. Trying to make up scenarios that fit your preconceptions does nothing to make you better, faster, more accurate, or more likely to survive.

Quit making excuses, and spend that time improving your performance instead.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 222Rem
He's had 14 months to think about his stupid post. Maybe he's reconsidered stance since then..........or maybe his laughing instructor has.

Doubt it though........

WGAF? Really.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Yondering
This whole thread seems to be based on people trying to rationalize their incompetence with a pistol.

You don't know what your fight will look like until it happens. Trying to make up scenarios that fit your preconceptions does nothing to make you better, faster, more accurate, or more likely to survive.

Quit making excuses, and spend that time improving your performance instead.

Not necessarily. For my part, I'm sitting at the feet of the masters here. I've been shooting for 35 years, but only in the past few years considered getting a conceal carry license. When I did, my reasons were as follows:

1) Coyotes were becoming more numerous on the property, and I wanted to start carrying. Not as much for personal protection, but I was missing opportunities to kill the buggers at close range.
2) It was cumbersome and obnoxious to carry a loaded gun in the truck for yotes, and then unload and store gun and ammo separately when I took a trip into town. To be honest, I forgot a few times. A CC license got rid of all that hassle.
3) I'm 58. I'm not as lithe as I used to be. The neighbourhoods in town are not getting any better. Eventually I was going to be a target. When I retire, I'm moving to the farm, and staying as far away from urban life as I can.
4) Until I retire, things are such that it would be very inconvenient for my family if I died. There are a lot of folks depending on me.

I'm not incompetent with a pistol. I'm probably not as good as you all, and I'm probably not as good as I would like to be.

My reason for asking y'all about this thread is two-fold:

1) I wanted to agree with the OP: Our CCW instructors did not say exactly what the OP's did, but they did stress that any self-defence shooting we would likely encounter would be close and fast: "3 shots, 3 seconds, 3 paces." I'm not disputing their statement. I'm not disputing your statements to the contrary. I'm just looking for the truth of the matter.

2) A 50 yard shot at a man-sized target does not scare me. What does scare me is the idea that shooting someone at that distance might be construed as something other than self-defence.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2). If they are shooting at you from 50 yards are they a threat?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

2) A 50 yard shot at a man-sized target does not scare me. What does scare me is the idea that shooting someone at that distance might be construed as something other than self-defence.

That is idiotic.

Dave

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dave:
You may think it is idiotic, but that's what the OP's CCW instructor indicated, and that is close to what mine said. Mind you, I'm just asking the question as to why this is so.

MOGC: Yes, I would take any shot as a threat, no matter what the distance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... MOGC: Yes, I would take any shot as a threat, no matter what the distance.

There's your answer...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave

That is idiotic.

Dave

Distance does not and never has defined a legal use of deadly force. If you are someone else is in danger of great bodily harm are death is what defines legal or illegal.
No where is distance a requirement.

The instructor that said distance defines legal or illegal is an idiot.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Check Minnesota Law. We are required to be a reluctant participant.
Shooting somebody from 100 yds away, give me a break.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,214
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.