Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I'm a hunter, but Loony enough to have built a CM, not a .260.

Same here. blush

Tom, a couple of folks I know are handloaders and have still gone the route of Hornady 140 grain AMax factory ammunition. All praise its accuracy so they don't even bother loading for the Creed.

That bullet isn't my cup of tea for hunting but a lot of folks use it with good results.

A Weatherby Vanguard 2 or RAR would be hard to whoop for the $$$$.

All true. The Bergara B-14 is another, and at ~$150ish more than the Vanguard 2, available in 6.5, and worth a look too.

Hornady factory 140 AMax loads are no slouch in the accuracy department, and will put game down. However, I'm waiting for the Hornady Precision Hunter ammo along with the ELD-X bullet to hit the shelves. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up on game and stacks up against the 140 AMax loads in the accuracy department.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone
Why does it seem to be catching on more than the .260 Rem?

Remington did a poor job thinking through the 260 when they designed it and made little effort to promote it during its infancy.

Why did they choose a 1-9" ROT instead of the 1-8"?

Why did they only offer one (1) "standard" priced factory load, the 140 grain PCL at 2,750 fps? Since speed sells, why have they never offered a 100 grain PCL at 3,100 fps? The higher priced 120 grain BT and 125 grain Partition Remington factory ammo was more expensive and harder to find than the 140 grain PCL. Today, Federal makes excellent 260 ammo, but it is (IMO) too little, too late, to help grow the 260's market share.

Why didn't they ever offer the 260 in their most popular 700s, the ADL and BDL? The 260 was initially offered in the 700 BDL/DM/SS with a 24" barrel and the Sevens with 18.5" or 20" barrels. The 700 LSS-MR has been among the nicest, maybe even THE nicest, standard production rifle cataloged in 260, but they aren't everybody's cup of tea.

The availability of excellent factory ammo from Hornady and Winchester/Olin has been a great benefit for the Creed.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Bergara is interesting. I've never handled one, just looked at pictures.

From what I've read, Ed Shilen was instrumental in helping the Spanish develop Bergara barrels. Evidently they shoot pretty well.

Now, there is a Bergara rifle at a competitive price. Probably lots of performance for the buck.

I look forward to reports. Any links to Bergara articles would be appreciated.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It was designed from the ground up by the Hornady guys to be a competitive match cartridge with factory ammo. Correct twist, high BC bullets,right cartridge length,good factory ammo. I hear some competitors buy the factory ammo by the case and just use that, it's so good.

Sometimes I just want to shoot,and not hand load.

I have never fired a single Creedmoor round and mine is almost finished, so I know ALL about it.... grin

I have dies, brass,and Dober sent me a bunch of 6.5 bullets,so I am all set. Waiting.

But I have seen Skane's rifle which in hunting garb is about perfect and mine will be similar...and seen results on two deer from it. I am anxious for mine to show up.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Why does it seem to be catching on more than the .260 Rem?

Remington did a poor job thinking through the 260 when they designed it and made little effort to promote it during its infancy.

Why did they choose a 1-9" ROT instead of the 1-8"?

Why did they only offer one (1) "standard" priced factory load, the 140 grain PCL at 2,750 fps? Since speed sells, why have they never offered a 100 grain PCL at 3,100 fps? The higher priced 120 grain BT and 125 grain Partition Remington factory ammo was more expensive and harder to find than the 140 grain PCL. Today, Federal makes excellent 260 ammo, but it is (IMO) too little, too late, to help grow the 260's market share.

Why didn't they ever offer the 260 in their most popular 700s, the ADL and BDL? The 260 was initially offered in the 700 BDL/DM/SS with a 24" barrel and the Sevens with 18.5" or 20" barrels. The 700 LSS-MR has been among the nicest, maybe even THE nicest, standard production rifle cataloged in 260, but they aren't everybody's cup of tea.

The availability of excellent factory ammo from Hornady and Winchester/Olin has been a great benefit for the Creed.

Remington has a track record for strategic blunders.

Why did they roll out the .244 with 12 twist, ASSUMING the new .24 cal. would be more of a varmint round than a deer round?

Winchester brought out the .243 with a 10 twist for 100 gr. bullets and the rest, as they say, is history.

The .243 dominated for a number of reasons, including rifles chambered for that round, even though the .244 is probably the superior cartridge.

Just an example of Remington marketing decisions, presumably made in a vacuum, devoid of real world input.

Hornady went to the users and specifically crafted a round to suit what was actually happening, not what they imagined may happen.

laugh That sorta reminds me of Big Stick's rants about imagining vs. doing. Now, maybe Remington needs to hire Stick... shocked

I'd like to be a fly on the wall... cool

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/12/15.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

From what I've read, Ed Shilen was instrumental in helping the Spanish develop Bergara barrels. Evidently they shoot pretty well.

Now, there is a Bergara rifle at a competitive price. Probably lots of performance for the buck.

DF

Short discussion of the B-14 by some blokes in the UK.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/108498-Bergara-B14

I've handled (not shot) the B-14 Hunter (synthetic) and Timber (wood stock), both in 6.5 Creedmoor. The quality is there, and as some reports have said, "it's what the Remington 700 should be". I tend to agree. And since the B-14 is designed around the Rem 700, that opens the door for a myriad of aftermarket stocks, etc.

Had I not had a 6.5 Creed build in the works when the Bergara's hit the shelf at the LGS, I might own one now - and I may still. I think they are a good great value.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If the new B-14 is a M-700 "done right", and if Bergara offers the action to custom builders, will that hurt the 700 clone custom action business?

I would think Bergara could build them for less than the custom shops and if they're a 700 "done right", they may be about as good.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler

DF

Short discussion of the B-14 by some blokes in the UK.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/108498-Bergara-B14

I've handled (not shot) the B-14 Hunter (synthetic) and Timber (wood stock), both in 6.5 Creedmoor. The quality is there, and as some reports have said, "it's what the Remington 700 should be". I tend to agree. And since the B-14 is designed around the Rem 700, that opens the door for a myriad of aftermarket stocks, etc.

Had I not had a 6.5 Creed build in the works when the Bergara's hit the shelf at the LGS, I might own one now - and I may still. I think they are a good great value.

I see a 6.5 Swede/Hunter in my future.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I don't have 5....... but the ones I do got, are Rugers. And they're all shooters.
[Linked Image]

I love that two-color scheme on that RPR. How are you liking that rifle huntsman22?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't have one yet, and may never as I have pretty much as many rifles as an old man needs. If I had to start over though, the CM would get the nod. It pretty much does what the .243, .257, Swede, and .270 do and in a short action. A lot of attention is given to its long-range abilities, but like the Swede it should be a great woods gun as well and as a modern round, there's no issues with brass dimensions and weak data for old rifles. If brass is ever an issue, it's easily formed from .22/250 brass using the COW method.

When Mule Deer did a review of a Hawkeye a couple of years back, he noted that the Hornady factory loads had the load data printed on the box. What a great idea.

Last edited by Pappy348; 12/14/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T

laugh That sorta reminds me of Big Stick's rants about imagining vs. doing. Now, maybe Remington needs to hire Stick... shocked

DF

They probably have height requirements.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

DF

And tact. And judgment. And, ad infinitum.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

DF

And tact. And judgment. And, ad infinitum.

laugh

DF

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How about Kimber chambering their Montana in 6.5 Creedmoor?

Now that would get me buying one right quick like!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Better get your money ready...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
When?

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Is there any reason to chose it over a 8 twist .260 Remington if a guy could get one?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are a couple of reasons to consider a 6.5 Cree in lieu of a 1-8" ROT 260 in a short action:

1. The availability of great factory ammo.
2. The availability of great brass.
3. The ability to properly seat long VLD 140 grain bullets.

If you're not going to shoot any bullets longer than the 130 grain AB both will work equally well.

Since 1997, I have mostly loaded bullets in the 95 to 129 grain range in my 260s, so COAL has never been an issue for me. My favorite bullets to load in the 260 have been the 100 grain BT/Partition, 120 grain BT, 129 grain Hornady, and 130 grain AB.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Better get your money ready...

Factory or special-run Whittakers?

This would be news too good to be true. Are you sure a gunmaker has that much sense???

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Is there any reason to chose it over a 8 twist .260 Remington if a guy could get one?

Face it boys the 6.5 Creed will win the race....it's a better mousetrap! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (1moredeer, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,844
Posts18,496,906
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.