Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Many commenters have not physically handled a M70 EW from the era in question and are basing their comment on their experience with older M70 or Kimber safety's. The EW in question has a LOUD safety. Imagine taking a metal rod and rapping a fiberglass stock smartly. It's that loud. And, at least the couple I played with, the spring pressure was such that to "ride it forward" as one can (and I do) with say a Kimber doesn't really work. It really wants to snap forward.

Insurmountable? Hardly. But we tend to want our rifles "right". And this isn't.

For flocks sake, give it up. I’ve had several EW’s from the first year production. If you can’t make that safety work, a box of bullets is insurmountable.

I guess THC must have enhanced his hearing grin

I have owned a few Model 70s ,every iteraton of a 70 except a pre64(unfortunately) and for the life of me cannot believe that this is even a topic. I had one safety issue with a M70 SS 300 WSM where the "remington gunsmith" I brought my rifle to did not fix the timing on the bolt after he adjusted the trigger pull. It was almost impossible to move the safety. It is a beautifully designed safety, I guess all the custom shops that specialize in making 3 position safeties for other rifle brands must not know anything.