Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bonefish
Perhaps it's bore was impregnated with Unicorn antler dust?

Unicorns have horns, not antlers........

Think caliber/ chambering..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RDFinn
O'l Stick used to say that the 280 Ackley was the best thing ever to happen to Springfield brass.
Yeah,sure it is. crazy

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A Horn. At least here unicorns have a horn.

My dog dragged one of those big two-horned things into the yard that you put a pic of up. Pointy--you can't leave them laying around.

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwall
We shouldn't condemn those who use caliber for the cartridge, after all rifle makers do.

Jerry, FWIW I agree, we shouldn't "condemn" anyone for that, and I don't believe my comment went that far.

As I explained earlier, the only reason I made the flippant comment was, the guy's post struck me as being blowhard material. For the reasons stated. He also made a very similar post on the .257 Wby. thread " I have one, it's uber accurate, and I killed some great animals with it."

First two posts, all about me and my rifles and how accurate they are and all the animals I've killed. If he'd waited until the third or fourth posts, I wouldn't have said anything but I can't stand a blowhard.

If he'd taken it and come back and told me to GFM, I would've respected that, but he chose to whine so he gets no relief from me.

Plus, commenting on his use of the word "caliber" was more polite than calling BS on the consistent 5-shot 1/4 inch groups from a factory rifle with factory ammo., as others have pointed out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I suspect there are plenty of people in the Forum that have experience with killing Unicorn. Perhaps they can weigh in on the structure of the horn/antler as well as the level of rifle accuracy required to take one.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
7-08, 7x57, 280, 280AI, 7SAUM, 7WSM, 7RM, 7Wby, 7LRM, 7STW, 7RUM, 28 Nosler, whatever else...

lot of unnecessary cartridges there but sometimes we just want something different. The AI is best of course smile

I don't know what the 7LRM is or what it was based off of, but the 28 Nosler does offer something the other hyper-velocity rounds don't in that it works much better in standard LA rifles (magazine length) being shorter in length while still offering max powder capacity. Brass quality, according to John B, is supposed to be very high too. Downside is the price of the brass. When making a rifle based off of something like the 28 Nosler, I just accept the fact that it is a specialized rifle and concessions will need to be made.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

Jerry, FWIW I agree, we shouldn't "condemn" anyone for that, and I don't believe my comment went that far.

As I explained earlier, the only reason I made the flippant comment was, the guy's post struck me as being blowhard material. For the reasons stated. He also made a very similar post on the .257 Wby. thread " I have one, it's uber accurate, and I killed some great animals with it."

First two posts, all about me and my rifles and how accurate they are and all the animals I've killed. If he'd waited until the third or fourth posts, I wouldn't have said anything but I can't stand a blowhard.

If he'd taken it and come back and told me to GFM, I would've respected that, but he chose to whine so he gets no relief from me.

Plus, commenting on his use of the word "caliber" was more polite than calling BS on the consistent 5-shot 1/4 inch groups from a factory rifle with factory ammo., as others have pointed out.

Hey Smokey - I did't see your response yesterday, don't know how I missed it. Haven't been ignoring you.

Okay - I can see some of ALL this. I didn't read all of the 257 WBY thread so I haven't compared his posts.

I only noticed he is 'new' here and try to give newbeys a little wider birth than us OLD hands. (I'm not sure how to spell newby - newbee- newbey ?) smirk
I haven't searched his posts but I haven't noticed him posting after his response.

Thnx for your answer. Sorry I missed it.

Jerry

edit to add: I just checked his post count and it's STILL 3.

Last edited by jwall; 12/23/15.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No worries J, maybe I was just being a d***. I promise to cut the new guy some slack, if he decides to post again.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was just having fun with the 1/4" 5 shot groups. If true I want that rifle.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
My 280ai is built on a ruger action with a 1-9 26" tube. I tried lots of bullets and powders but it just didnt really like anything i tried. My fireform loads shot awesome with 175 sierra spbt. so i tried some 180vlds with some old h-870 i had lying around and found a charge of 60gr shot a ragged hole at 100yrds thought it was afluke so loaded it up some more and it loves that load. Not sure on the speed never had the chrono out. but i went up to 66gr and that was max and the accuracy fell off after the 60gr load.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by bonefish
I suspect there are plenty of people in the Forum that have experience with killing Unicorn. Perhaps they can weigh in on the structure of the horn/antler as well as the level of rifle accuracy required to take one.

I replicate antlers for a living and have never been asked to replicate unicorn antlers...just sayin. :-)

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by TravisC
My 280ai is built on a ruger action with a 1-9 26" tube. I tried lots of bullets and powders but it just didnt really like anything i tried. My fireform loads shot awesome with 175 sierra spbt. so i tried some 180vlds with some old h-870 i had lying around and found a charge of 60gr shot a ragged hole at 100yrds thought it was afluke so loaded it up some more and it loves that load. Not sure on the speed never had the chrono out. but i went up to 66gr and that was max and the accuracy fell off after the 60gr load.

I've shot my beloved 280AI for about 30 years now, and am continually blown away with the accuracy of my fireforming loads...crazy ain't it?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,515
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.