Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This year I carved out way to little time for hunting. Most years, I get at least a couple handfuls of days hunting spring bear, hunt something in Wyoming, hunt for antelope, then get to put some time in for deer and elk in Montana.

Instead, my wife and I built a house (doing as much as possible ourselves) and I changed careers. Lets just say, don't sign up to build a house unless you don't have any other plans - grin. It's even taken me six or seven weeks to get around to writing this up! The first time I made it into the field, aside from a few brief trips to shoot rockchucks, was Friday afternoon prior to the Montana general rifle opener.

Friday afternoon I hiked in to a different spot than normal, tore my heals up, and realized I wasn't exactly in tip top mountain shape. I'm supposed to be meeting my friend Bob at a particular camp site he'll be getting to after dark, so I set up my bivy and head out to glass. It doesn't take very much glassing to realize that there are elk EVERYWHERE. I'm primarily hunting deer, and more interested in deer, but the freezers back home are pretty bare so I wouldn't mind if I could squeeze in an elk without screwing up my deer hunt. There are elk on almost every hillside I can see, but no particularly good bulls. After a little while, I spot a pretty good buck and watch him bed as it gets dark. If he's still there in the morning, I'll definently take him.

That night, Bob never shows up. Somehow he missed my camp, so he hikes two miles further to our Plan B spot, just to not find me there. He stayed there anyways.

Opening morning I sneek down to the vantage I had picked out. There is a herd of elk standing in front of me, in range, but I can't find the deer I had my eye on from the night before. The area is pretty popular, and I was sure someone was going to start shooting at the elk fairly soon. Without finding any deer, and with an empty freezer at home, I decided it might as well be me, so I range the bull in the group and he dropped at the shot.

The herd groups up and moves to the edge of the clearing they've been feeding in. I decide to stay put for a moment and see if the buck I was looking for doesn't happen to show up (sometimes I am not smart, when you are alone with an elk down you typically don't need more to deal with). I figure the odds are pretty low, but after ten minutes he actually does appear! Before I can get a shot off, he takes off, then I hear a string of shots pretty close, I assume that folks are shooting at the group of elk that are still in the area. A little worried that someone else might try to claim the one I shot, and figuring the buck is gone and that I didn't need more to deal with anyways, I head out to tag and process the bull I shot.

[Linked Image]

Cell service is pretty bad, but I managed to get a text out to Bob with the location I had an elk down, just in case he was in the area and managed to get it. Right around the time I finished boning the bull and skinning the head, he walks over the hill with two other guys in tow. He got my message and ran into two other guys he ran into who want to help carry my elk out?!?! Still not sure about why, but I sure didn't question it, especially with my feet in iffy condition. With the four of us, it wan't a bad pack out at all, especially for an elk five or so miles in. Still, I was tired, sore, and tore up when we got to the trailhead, and kinda wanted to head home and return to my camp the next weekend. Bob talked me into heading back up that day, and we got to the top of the mountain just in time for last light, and to see some elk he might have shot disappear out of range.

The next morning we are looking again for elk for him or deer for me. No elk appear, but we are seeing some deer here and there. Bob finds a deer he thinks I should consider, but I turn him down when I put the spotter on him. We find another that I think might be the deer I saw on Friday, and I start getting ready to shoot. Before I do, he says to stop, there is another buck. I look quickly in the spotter and decide that he is better yet. Due to a somehow bad initial range and some subsequent movement, the deer took three shots to put down, more than I like but he didn't get away. As we were walking up to him I confessed to Bob a couple of times that I didn't get a very good look at him and hope that he's at least decent!

When we got there I realized my initial impression through the spotter had not been wrong, he was a good buck and my best one yet!

[Linked Image]

So that was my 2.5 day season. I consider myself quite fortunate to have collected a good sized pile of meat and a nice buck despite a minimal level of time an effort put into the endevour. I owe a lot to my friend Bob, who not only helped me pack both animals out, but gave me some very good info on where to look for bucks. Despite more success than I probably really deserved, I'm already planning to have a lot more free time next year!

Empirical results rule!
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Carl,

YOU SUCK! Congrats! I always seem to never have enough time so I completely understand your situation.

GREAT JOB!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to you - both fine animals! That buck is a nice one for sure!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well done man! That was a productive couple of days.
Good luck with the house.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice job Carl. I was beginning to wonder if you'd given up on hunting completely...grin

Tanner

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Way to go Carl.... that's a beautiful buck. Congrats on a good 'season'... and the new home.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A glutton for punishment.
It paid off.
Great animals.

Have Dog

Will Travel

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice muley, Carl! The elk doesn't suck so bad, either. Congrats on a great abbreviated season. Sometimes you just have to take what's offered.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Carl, short but sweet season!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I love it when a plan comes together.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Great season! Especially the two guys who helped with the pack out, how often does that happen?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Well done Carl. Those are two great animals regardless of the hours, or lack thereof , put in. It's nice to see good things happen to good folks!

Congrats on the house as well.

Are you coming to Icebreaker this year?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Short hunts can be fun also!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That worked out just right! Congrats!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cool

How did Bob do?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Bob eventually shot a cow and a bull. He also helped pack out two other bulls from stupid places in bad weather. He's a good guy to have in your contact list - grin.

Oldslowdog, I'm not 100% on the Icebreaker this year, but I'll make it if I can!

Empirical results rule!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Carl_Ross: Congratulations on those two fine trophies!
Good for you.
There are times when family and personal matters will "interfere" with your/our Hunting - that's just the way it goes.
Your time spent building your home was/will be valued and repay you in the future.
Few years back I was bitten by a Rattlesnake in the arch of my foot.
The date was August 22nd.
I could not get a shoe/boot on my foot until November 30th of that year!
I missed out on an Antelope tag Hunt and a Special Draw Mule Deer tag that I got that year, let alone my normal fall Bear Hunting and Elk Hunting (archery and Rifle).
I am still smarting from that "shut-out" year!
Again congratulations on the fine trophies.
And enjoy your new home.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Akbob5
YOU SUCK! Congrats!

+1; what an amazing couple of days!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1941USMC, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,286
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.