Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a T/C Triumph and am having a failure to fire almost every time with BH 209 powder. No issues with the pyrodex pellets. I have tried Remington and Winchester 209 primers. What am I doing incorrectly?

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

THIS ^^^^ will solve your problem.I shoot lots of BH in ML and big bore cartridges its much harder to ignite than other synthetics.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

My breech plug is drilled out with a #55 drill but and I use a 1/8" bit turned by hand to clean out the primer side of the plug also. You may already do that but if not it helps as well.

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks guys, I'll try the primer change. That oughta be the ticket.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My breech plug is drilled out with a #55 drill but and I use a 1/8" bit turned by hand to clean out the primer side of the plug also. You may already do that but if not it helps as well.

^^^^ Yep wink

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

You mean CCI 209M or Federal 209A.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

lol, yes I do. He would have one hell of a time finding the ones I listed.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Blackhorn 209 builds a lot of carbon in the breech plug, so in addition to changing primers make sure you have cleaned the breech plug as described above. I also use a welding torch tip cleaner to clean the narrow flash channel.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 12/20/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think THE most important part is cleaning the flash channel below the primer pocket with a 1/8"-5/32" drill bit as Bearcat74 pointed out. I've had friends bring me their "problem rifles" that the flash channel was almost clogged shut. 209 primers of all kinds put out a tremendous amount of carbon. I've not had ignition problem with BH209 or smokeless in my rifles with standard WW primers, but I keep the flash channels reamed out

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for the advice gents. Looking forward to working with BH 209 and seeing what she'll do.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Best results with BH209 are with a snug-fitting sabot/bullet. Make sure you have a T-Handle for your ramrod-end and a recommended Spin Jag for sabot-loading.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
My guess its the flash channel is plugged up. W209 primers are plenty hot enough to ingite BH reliably.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In real cold conditions such as we experience in Wisconsin I have used the Federal 209A shotgun primer with no problems. I bought a bunch and use them in Kansas as well. Did not try the CCI 209M's but understand they work well too from conversing with other Muzzleloader shooters. If it ain't broke we don't fix it. Cleanliness is important also.

Good Shooting to all!

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tmitch
I think THE most important part is cleaning the flash channel below the primer pocket with a 1/8"-5/32" drill bit as Bearcat74 pointed out. I've had friends bring me their "problem rifles" that the flash channel was almost clogged shut. 209 primers of all kinds put out a tremendous amount of carbon. I've not had ignition problem with BH209 or smokeless in my rifles with standard WW primers, but I keep the flash channels reamed out

This!

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Well yesterday I had 10 straight good shots using CCI 209 Magnum shotshell primers and BH 209 powder. Wife and I both banged the gong at 125 yds once we got dialed in. I will probably end up doing the drill bit routine as well on down the road.

Thanks for all the replies.

bludog

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bludog
I will probably end up doing the drill bit routine as well on down the road. bludog

Magnum primers will only get you so far, they put out even more carbon than standards and you'll be back to misfires in short order. Reaming out the flash channel should be part of your regular post shooting cleaning routine.

FAQ #3. I have a Thompson Center Omega that I have used for several years with Triple 7. I switched to Blackhorn 209, but am having hang-fires. What is the problem?

A. The most common cause of hang-fires is a fouled breech plug. Breech plugs accumulate primer residue on the walls of the flash channel that continually reduces the size of the hole (this is not to be confused with the flash hole, which is the small hole at the end of the flash channel). As residue accumulates in the flash channel, the hole becomes smaller and does not allow sufficient flame to reach the powder. The residue buildup is very difficult to see with the naked eye, but this accumulation of residue will hinder ignition by effectively reducing the strength of the primer, which also affects consistency and accuracy. Regular cleaning of the flash channel is necessary to keep the channel clean and free of residue. For cleaning procedures see our breech plug cleaning page.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/breech-plug-cleaning/

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Get a 1/8" drill bit and spin it by hand in the flash channel and be amazed at what pours out of it. If you've never done it then it will take 2-3 spin and tap upside down in the work bench sessions to get all the crap out of there.

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
OK, I got the message - I found our bit set, and it worked great - thanks, the 1/8th bit is now in my cleaning kit. This stuff is why I really appreciate the 'fire.

bludog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a small handle/chuck similar to what's pictured below. It makes the task of cleaning the flash hole easy peasy.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 49 invisible), 13,402 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,130
Posts18,542,380
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.