Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I carry a HS everywhere everyday. I know it is not the ideal gunfighter's pistol but it allows me to make sure I obey the first rule of always having a gun on me even if I'm just wearing shorts and flip flops. I haven't found anything that is as small and as reliable for anywhere near the money. A Seecamp would probably fit in thw same place comfortably but I don't have the money for one right now and although I know they are for breath smelling distance, I hate that they don't have any semblance of sights.

I have J frames that are my choice for normal carry, but my dress style means I have to strap on a holster to carry one. The HS goes in my pocket right behind my billfold and I keep a couple spare shells in my opposite front pocket.

It is actually pretty easy to shoot and more accurate than most would guess. I can put both barrels in a 4" circle consistently from the 7 yard line.

Ideal no, better than no gun, I think so.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
In a more enlightened age, say the 50's, the first gun i ever bought with my own money was a two shot .357mag derringer, i think under the hawes label, i would have to look. It did have plastic stocks on it which broke from the recoil. Rachel Wells made me a set of wood grips out of some imported wood. Still have it, haven't shot it since at least the 60's.
Also have some other little derringers including cap and ball types.
totally useless for the most part.
I was showing a grandkid recently a little colt semiauto turn of the century pistola in .25auto, an old vest pocket gun.
he looked at the ammo questioning it, and i said it was sufficient when you jam the gun in somebodies nose that was one top of you. Probably would work.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I sold mine.

thanks. Bret Maverick.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I played with my brother's Hi Standard one day at the range. Not for me. I'd sooner just carry a knife.

The little Kel-Tec 32 might be the best 'derringer' nowadays. If not the j-frame.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I consider them to be far more worthless than a knife.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Davis? in .32 ACP.

I shot an abandoned refrigerator with it one day. The bullet bounced off.

I figured that if I shot someone with it, I'd have to beat their ass afterwards, so I got a bigger gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
never. not no when, not no how, had a desire to shoot a derringer smirk Neither .22, nor .45-70.

I could see it for an undercover cop in a real dangerous situation, but otherwise no.

Dad had a Baby Browning .25 for a while. When I was young, I asked him one day if we could shoot it at the range. He replied, no he was afraid of getting a finger in front of the muzzle. grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

I figured that if I shot someone with it, I'd have to beat their ass afterwards, so I got a bigger gun.

That's some Christmas funny.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just bought this one for chits and giggles.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

^^^This^^^

Smallest gun I carry is either a Ruger LCP 380 or a S&W .38 spec. Bodyguard.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
better than nothing, but next to useless unless you are Paladin

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

That's some Christmas funny.

Dave

That about sums it up

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Travis
Dude, there was a sweet Cold Steel ad back in the day, that showed one of their early versions of the Tanto IIRC, coming down on some gambler's hand that had a .22 Mag. High Standard Derringer in it. Moral: If you're going to play high stakes poker and pretend you're Doc or Wyatt, have a Tanto handy if somebody pulls a derringer on you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
There are many guns that would be cool to have but I can honestly say I have no desire for a Derringer in 45-70.

Hell, I wouldn't want one in a Thompson Contender.
A 45-40 Derringer is insane. grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I wouldn't wanna have to trust one with a determined attacker EE, if your that close you may as well slap em down and put the boots to 'em.

I'm sure there are better mouse gun choices made today, can't offer any help cause I don't fool with them.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

EE should carry a derringer as his every day carry weapon, it would serve him well for his needs.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'd carry two of em in a triple bagged pillow case for a club. laugh

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
I'd carry two of em in a triple bagged pillow case for a club. laugh

Derringers not recommended for others! Unless of course they are in a pillow to be used as a club.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
I wouldn't wanna have to trust one with a determined attacker EE, if your that close you may as well slap em down and put the boots to 'em.

I'm sure there are better mouse gun choices made today, can't offer any help cause I don't fool with them.
I didn't start the thread because I was interested in one. I've owned several and didn't plan to own anymore unless I came across an original Remington at a "can't pass it up" price. I was shown one at the gunshow a couple weeks back. I don't know if the price the guy said he got it for was true or not. If you know much about them, they are almost always cracked at the hinge. This one wasn't.

I do admit though, I wasn't aware that whoever owns the old High Standard's rights now makes theirs in 38 Spec. I will be on the lookout for one just to look at. Must be a bigger frame than the old 22 Mags.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 43 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,315
Posts18,526,361
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.