Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone tried the new sierra Tipped Matchkings on deer this season?

I have used the Hornady AMAX with good success on deer and I am thinking about giving the TMK a try when the current AMAX supply is exhausted.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've bumped off a couple with standard Matchkings. I wouldn't be afraid to trip the trigger on a tipped Matchking for the deer I see around here.

What cartridge are you shooting them out of?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I will probably be running them out of a heavy barrel .30/06 and perhaps a .223.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well, I would guess that with a 223, you'll be particular about where you hit them. If that be the case, you'll be good to go.

With the 30-06, as long as you don't have to poke one at 10 yards, you should be good to go with about any shot you take.

Anything an Amax will do, the Tipped Matchking should be able to do as well.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
With the .223 it would be a head or neck shot.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Theres a whole lot better choices out there, especially in the .223.....

Love, Poobs

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I might have to give it a whirl. Odds are I'll shoot another spike this season. Might shoot it with the AR, which has a 1 in 7" twist. If I don't use the 7.62x39 instead. smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

Love, Poobs

Agreed,
I always wonder why there are some that use bullets designed for paper punching to take game.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Love, Poobs

Agreed,
I always wonder why there are some that use bullets designed for paper punching to take game.

Lemme guess, you need a "controlled Expansion" bullet like a TSX to properly kill deer?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I shot a 'surprise buck' last season with a 90 gr. Sierra HPBT out of a 22/250 and he hit the ground so hard I needed a pic axe to dig his whacker outa the ground!! Didn't even kick! Hit him just aft of the right shoulder @ 246 yards.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Love, Poobs

Agreed,

Lemme guess, you need a "controlled Expansion" bullet like a TSX to properly kill deer?

Bad guess. Lemme guess...you drive to the grocery store in a 4x4 jacked up F250.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My guess is he's the guy who uses a chisel when he needs a screwdriver.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunt deer with the regular Matchkings. I know they 'dont recommend it', but I've never had a problem.

I wouldnt recommend it on larger game. The bullet comes apart to easy.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the bullet comes apart to easy, why would you use it to hunt? There are more appropriate bullets available for the same cost. What's the point?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My guess is he's the guy who uses a chisel when he needs a screwdriver.

Yeah that is it you dolt.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Love, Poobs

Agreed,

Bad guess. Lemme guess...you drive to the grocery store in a 4x4 jacked up F250.

not me. The F250 to the grocery store is more like a TX thing.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If the bullet comes apart to easy, why would you use it to hunt? There are more appropriate bullets available for the same cost. What's the point?

Just out of curiosity how many whitetail deer have you killed?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Took several elk with Matchkings in a 7mm before I found out one should not do that. They were deadly accurate. No complaints from the elk either.

Last few elk have fallen to a 30-378 with Nosler Combined Technology pills and the slugs from that unit have done some very strange things. Still no complaints from the elk though.

Get a lug nut up to about 1,250 fps and put it in the heart/lung area, and one will likely have a dead critter.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/21/15.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This is one of those issues that gets debated ad nauseam, with neither side convincing the other.

But count me among those who think it's prudent to use a product which was engineered for the purpose intended.

No doubt bullets designed with no consideration given to terminal performance will work under certain circumstances. But I'd prefer to use a bullet for which engineers considered things like jacket thickness, core hardness, etc., with terminal performance as a design criteria.

YMMV

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Used the original 168s and 175 grain MK in a 7RM and they were wildly erratic at close range and tended to produce lots of blood shot meat. Typically a plastic tip can make the bullets expand even more rapidly. If the tip is the only difference I would think they would be a bomb at close range.
A good thing for extreme ranges but not so much for brush hunting.

This doesn't seem to hold true for the Amax for some reason possibly a thicker jacket.

I would use a ballistic tip if you wanted a plastic tip bullet for general hunting use.

So I haven't tried them but doubt I will after my experiences with the regular MKs.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,879
Posts18,479,074
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.