-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .22x centerfire rifles are too weak for big game and not even legal let alone common sense because of that.

I know of a youth who was given one for his only CF rifle and he shot a buck in the neck and the buck died.

Then he shot another buck in the ribs at about 50 yds and it ran off and they never found it.

Get a 243. No question about it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
(dont want the farmers feeling like they are in the Anbar province).

Then they'd start growing opium poppy...

I've shot deer with rifles from .243 to .45-70, and I can't tell a difference in the reaction. They run about the same distance if lung-shot, and fall if you break running gear.

We are not allowed to use a .223. They just let us start hunting on Sunday. And, You cannot carry concealed here, anymore. That's all the hints on VA gov.'s apparent intelligence.

Blood trails are another thing, the bigger calibers doing better but the difference between a .223 and .243 are going to be negligible there, too.

For reference, there are counties that used to allow .22 centerfires. That will be debated again and likely returned now that bear is a separate tag.

Also, I have no idea WTF you're smoking on CCW, but VA is still very much a concealed carry legal state, and OC legal as well.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The .22x centerfire rifles are too weak for big game and not even legal let alone common sense because of that.

I know of a youth who was given one for his only CF rifle and he shot a buck in the neck and the buck died.

Then he shot another buck in the ribs at about 50 yds and it ran off and they never found it.

Re: Varmint bullets on deer. [Re: moosemike]
Savage_99 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

If a 222 was enough you would not have to ask!

When I was a kid in 1953 I shot my first deer with my 222 I loaded with the 55 gr Sierra. It hit the buck in the neck and broke his spine at about 175 yds.

Later that week I shot another buck in the ribs at about 50 yds with that 222 and it ran off. We never found it.

Interesting.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

We hear this exact same story every time a comparison of two cartridges is asked for. My bet is this young Hunter pulled the shot and it was either too far back, or he missed all together. That's why the buck was never recovered, because there isn't a deer going to survive deflated lungs.

With the right bullets the .223 can punch through shoulders to get to the vitals. With the 55 grain TSX my daughter killed her second doe with a hard quartering towards her shot. I told her to aim for the point of the shoulder and shoot when ready, we found the bullet under the skin near the last rib.

If you're unable to kill deer with a .223 out to 200 yds +/-, well it's the Indian not the arrow.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 4ager

I've shot deer with rifles from .243 to .45-70, and I can't tell a difference in the reaction. They run about the same distance if lung-shot, and fall if you break running gear.

We are not allowed to use a .223. They just let us start hunting on Sunday. And, You cannot carry concealed here, anymore. That's all the hints on VA gov.'s apparent intelligence.

Blood trails are another thing, the bigger calibers doing better but the difference between a .223 and .243 are going to be negligible there, too.

For reference, there are counties that used to allow .22 centerfires. That will be debated again and likely returned now that bear is a separate tag.

Also, I have no idea WTF you're smoking on CCW, but VA is still very much a concealed carry legal state, and OC legal as well.

Just heard on the radio the VA Govener just ended reciprocity. Which stops out of state CCW permit holders to legally carry in VA. Kind of a dick move, but VA CCW permit holders can still carry.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Youth Deer rifle and adult varmit ?

6.5 Grendel, Howa just announced they are releasing the catridge on the new Howa Mini Action, should be out mid year.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Savage_99 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

When I was a kid in 1953 I shot my first deer with my 222 I loaded with the 55 gr Sierra. It hit the buck in the neck and broke his spine at about 175 yds.

Later that week I shot another buck in the ribs at about 50 yds with that 222 and it ran off. We never found it.

Interesting.

Seems the "youth" in question now relates that story in the third person, removed from the first person. From participant to bystander.

Oh, the trauma of youth and those lasting scars... shocked

How they torture the soul... cry

If only he had been a better shot... grin

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by taylorce1

Just heard on the radio the VA Govener just ended reciprocity. Which stops out of state CCW permit holders to legally carry in VA. Kind of a dick move, but VA CCW permit holders can still carry.

Threads on this in the Campfire section. Your radio reports are incorrect, and Hell, CO permits weren't reciprocal because CO wouldn't honor VA permits (and many others), anyway.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Savage_99 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Interesting.

Seems the "youth" in question now relates that story in the third person, removed from the first person. From participant to bystander.

DF

Assuming that DumbassDon was truthful in the first place, those may have been the last two deer he ever shot (at).

Funny, as he often talks about deer hunting in VT, and the .22Magnum is legal for deer there. It's the most popular "youth" cartridge for deer, too, followed by the .223 and .22Hornet.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Savage_99 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Interesting.

DF
Could explain a lot about him. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Savage_99 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Interesting.

DF

Assuming that DumbassDon was truthful in the first place, those may have been the last two deer he ever shot (at).

Funny, as he often talks about deer hunting in VT, and the .22Magnum is legal for deer there. It's the most popular "youth" cartridge for deer, too, followed by the .223 and .22Hornet.
Don't confuse him with facts.

Besides I think he is stuck in the 1950's.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the "not even legal because of it" bit, while he touts hunting in VT. Check the VT regs; obviously DumbassDon has not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Legal Firearms: 12, 16, or 20 gauge breech loading shotgun loaded with single soft alloy projectile ammunition. Rifled or smoothbore barrels allowed. Centerfire rifle 6mm (.243 caliber) or larger or revolver .357 caliber or larger may be used if the landholding is 10 or more acres and the landowner has authorized use on the consent form."

Ct state hunting laws

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
"Legal Firearms: 12, 16, or 20 gauge breech loading shotgun loaded with single soft alloy projectile ammunition. Rifled or smoothbore barrels allowed. Centerfire rifle 6mm (.243 caliber) or larger or revolver .357 caliber or larger may be used if the landholding is 10 or more acres and the landowner has authorized use on the consent form.

Ct state hunting laws
Since when do CT hunting laws apply to VT?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

WTF I'm smoking is nothing. I was speaking to TomM1, from Pennsylvania, who's state's reciprocity was revoked. I am very much aware of my rights/privileges as a resident of this state and that I can continue carrying concealed, but *he* (TomM1) would no longer be allowed to do so. Nor do I believe I can go to his state and carry concealed.

It is still not legal to use a .223 in counties "that used to allow" .22 centerfires, so no smoke in that statement, either.

It was a sarcastic comment on how our (my?) state's government thinks sometimes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Advanced senility is a sad situation.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TomM1
Think you guys have me sold on the .223, with three up and coming hunters, it will get used. As they mature, I'll move them into more age appropriate calibers (swede, creedmore, etc.) The cost of a dedicated rifle is cheap when considering how precious the time can be. Thanks all.

I got one for my kids and I fell in love with it! It's a Ruger American compact. It lays em right in there and it's fun to shoot.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As to report I find that if local residents are going to complain about a .243s report they will be just as upset by a .223.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 63 invisible), 17,833 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,938
Posts18,539,266
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.