Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
How is the deer population up there determined? Hunter success is not a valid measurement.
TWRA goes out to the first green soybean field with a pair of binos and formulates a statewide bag limit off of a 5 minute observation

the previous big game coordinator was a goddamm 'salamander biologist'

someone's boy obviously

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you're on the right track, but seriously consider that the coyote that is responsible may be 2 legged and not 4 legged.

I have 200 acres just across the river in Bracken County. Coyote come. Coyote go. Coyote sometimes get so thick that they all get Parvo and then they all go away for a few years. It's a natural cycle.

On the other hand, I saw deer and turkey disappear starting in 2011 and by 2012, it was bad. They started to come back in 2013.

Here's the kicker: right about the time the deer and turkey and all the other game almost disappeared, the neighbor got evicted from his shack and was sent packing. The landlord bulldozed the shack and started rehabbing the land and the other house on the property.

What do you know? All of a sudden the deer and turkey start coming back. It turns out the family had been poaching like crazy and the elder son had been shooting deer out his window with a .22 lr just for kicks.

My point here, is that we have very low employment numbers right now, and it does not take very much to make the game go away. I'm thinking a lot of people are not buying licenses and filling their freezers.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Armednfree, I know this is not comforting, but consider yourself lucky that you don't deal with bears and wolves as well.

The northern half of Wisconsin deer herd has been decimated by coyotes, bear, wolves and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Is it certain parts of the state? I still about the same amount of deer that I have for the last 10 years in Adams County.

NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Kentucky's Fish and Wildlife Dept. does an excellent job. There's no shortage of deer here. The Turkey population seems to be doing very well, and the Elk herd has gotten so large that some have been trapped and sent to other states to help them get a herd going.

Close to a million deer in Kentucky according to this:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2013/05/new-whitetail-scale

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes indeed they do. KDFWR seems to do a wonderful job at wildlife management. We've got good numbers, and are near to top of B&C lists as well. My only complaint about the department is the elk lottery. I'm not sure how some people have been drawn 3 or 4 times, yet I've applied every year and haven't got it a single time.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Kentucky's Fish and Wildlife Dept. does an excellent job. There's no shortage of deer here. The Turkey population seems to be doing very well, and the Elk herd has gotten so large that some have been trapped and sent to other states to help them get a herd going.

Several of those elk were sent here to Wisconsin this year and released.
The DNR figured the wolves were not getting enough to eat.

Thanks for the elk.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Several of those elk were sent here to Wisconsin this year and released.
The DNR figured the wolves were not getting enough to eat.

Thanks for the elk.

You're welcome. Kentucky is running out of places to put them.

90% of the cows are being bred every year with 95% live birth,...no natural predators and easy winters compared to most places they inhabit.

They'll never be nearly as many as there are deer, of course. But I'd guess that quite a few Elk tags will be passed around in Kentucky during the next few years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have done some pretty detailed observation on Coyotes and no doubt they hammer both deer and turkey populations.

The insurance lobbies. DNR nods head.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Habitat is key. Always.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Gents, as a boy growing up in Wisconsin during a time before the deer explosion, I can tell you that liberal bag limits are as much to do with decimation as wild predators.

Minnesota, neighboring my boyhood home counties, had a "shoot it if it walks" bag limit back in the 60s and before. It got to the point where they had to close their deer seasons for several years to let the herds come back. When they did, we on the border were inundated with out of state hunters who couldn't quite get used to the "Buck Only" rules we had. In one weekend, I found 8 doe that had been shot and left to rot - and all were within 400 yards of a camp of out of staters. They were used to shooting a deer first and then looking to see if it was a buck or doe. If it was a doe...they walked away.

We couldn't shoot doe in those days, except if one had a "Camp Meat" permit that was drawn on a lottery system,

Not only did Minnesota nearly shoot their deer herd out of existence, their hunters had a very detrimental effect on the deer herd in neighboring Wisconsin counties for several years.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 01/01/16.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
South eastern Perry county and adjoining counties are down bad. No agriculture there and it's woods and hills. Still, the area has not changed in the last 14 years I've hunted there. Back then deer everywhere, and you didn't see or hear coyotes. Now it's coyotes all over the place.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Habitat is key. Always.

Yep.

Many don't pay attention to how the land and woods can affect deer numbers. Consider this,..an acre of mature forest will produce around 250 lbs an acre of hard mast. A clearcut will provide around 2500 lbs per acre of food from all the new regeneration/shrubs/shoots. On top of that a clearcut provides tremendous cover for deer and other critters from predators.

If you have land with woodsand aren't seeing many deer, have some timber taken out or do some clearcuts yourself. Deer will find it and you will see a big difference.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is my area:

39°34'55.69" N 82°08'29.27" W

Google earth for that

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
"Given this, coyote-wolf hybrids "should be able to do things like take down deer, which a little, scrappy Great Plains wily coyote would not be able to do on its own," Bozarth said."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...yotes-wolf-virginia-dna-animals-science/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to hunt near Buckeye Lake and I'd see 75-100 deer on opening day.

I've been hunting Adams & Pike Co the last few years. This year, I did not bother buying a license because I haven't seen a shootable deer (during legal hrs, on permissible property, etc) in 2 years.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
brown downers sukkkkkkkkk.......
everywhere..................

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Gents, as a boy growing up in Wisconsin during a time before the deer explosion, I can tell you that liberal bag limits are as much to do with decimation as wild predators.

Minnesota, neighboring my boyhood home counties, had a "shoot it if it walks" bag limit back in the 60s and before. It got to the point where they had to close their deer seasons for several years to let the herds come back. When they did, we on the border were inundated with out of state hunters who couldn't quite get used to the "Buck Only" rules we had. In one weekend, I found 8 doe that had been shot and left to rot - and all were within 400 yards of a camp of out of staters. They were used to shooting a deer first and then looking to see if it was a buck or doe. If it was a doe...they walked away.

We couldn't shoot doe in those days, except if one had a "Camp Meat" permit that was drawn on a lottery system,

Not only did Minnesota nearly shoot their deer herd out of existence, their hunters had a very detrimental effect on the deer herd in neighboring Wisconsin counties for several years.

sounds like unit l counties in tn......................

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 204guy, 160user, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 18,445 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,988
Posts18,540,146
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
1 hour ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.