Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I am interested in buying a rifle from a guy that lives across the state line, an hour away. I don't want to send him a check and " hope" he sends the rifle to my dealer. What other options do I consider? Thanks for the feedback.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Make the drive,do a transfer on the rifle at his or your choice of FFL dealer's in the area everyone leaves with a of piece of ease.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I second that.

Last edited by tjerica1201; 12/30/15.

You can only tie the record for flying low
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why do you need an FFL for a private face to face rifle sale?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by NVhntr
In this case the OP and the seller are residents of different states. They are required by law to use a FFL dealer to make a legal transaction.

Semper Fi

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by haverluk
In this case the OP and the seller are residents of different states. They are required by law to use a FFL dealer to make a legal transaction.

Not for a long arm. An individual can legally buy a rifle or shotgun FTF in another state and transport it across state lines to his state according to Federal law. State laws may state differently.....but most don't.

Handguns must be shipped to an FFL in the individual's state to be a legal transfer.

ETA: I'm wrong. Not sure when it was changed to include ALL firearms. I remember not too long ago that guys going from Texas to the Tulsa gun show would need to have handguns purchased sent to an FFL in TX, but long guns could be bought and transported back. I guess not any more.

Last edited by 257heaven; 12/31/15.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Semper Fi

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

This is correct. No FTF firearm sale is legal across state lines, any firearm. Must use FFL.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FTF... No FFL involved... No transfer required.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
GF1 and haverluk,

"This is correct. No FTF firearm sale is legal across state lines, any firearm. Must use FFL."

Absolutely NOT TRUE !!

A 'long gun' MAY be transferred without an FFL, but it is dependent on 'contiguous state' and the regulations of the states involved. Better check it out thoroughly first.

Myron

In retrospect, it might just be easier to take it to a local FFL there, and do it that way. Takes all the guesswork out of the deal.

Last edited by speedsixman; 12/30/15.

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by GF1

This is correct. No FTF firearm sale is legal across state lines, any firearm. Must use FFL.

That's always been my understanding as well, a transfer is a transfer. But I've been mostly in one of two bordering states and never questioned it elsewhere.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by speedsixman
GF1 and haverluk,

"This is correct. No FTF firearm sale is legal across state lines, any firearm. Must use FFL."

Absolutely NOT TRUE !!

A 'long gun' MAY be transferred without an FFL, but it is dependent on 'contiguous state' and the regulations of the states involved. Better check it out thoroughly first.

Myron

In retrospect, it might just be easier to take it to a local FFL there, and do it that way. Takes all the guesswork out of the deal.

From the ATF's website:
2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

With rare exception as noted above, must use FFL. Nothing about contiguous states.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
CFR LINK

§478.30 Out-of-State disposition of firearms by nonlicensees.
No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any other nonlicensee, who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides: Provided, That the provisions of this section:

(a) shall not apply to the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or any acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence; and

(b) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[T.D. ATF-313, 56 FR 32508, July 17, 1991; 57 FR 1205, Jan. 10, 1992]

It appears to be unacceptable to sell a firearm across state lines between two "nonlicensees".

Semper Fi

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Also, IIRC, the contiguous state thing is for a non-licensee purchasing from a licensee in the licensee's state but not the opposite.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When did all of this change ??

When I read the regulations, it was quite different, and it hasn't been that many years ago.

It seems that some of the regulations are not the same from one part of the regs to another and you have to wade through a lot of junk to find the real truth.

Of course with the Obummer administration, I guess anything is possible.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
As long as I can remember a tansaction involving residents of different states needs to be done via FFL.

If I was unsure of the person I was dealing with, to the point I didn't trust them to ship a purchase, I sure as chit wouldn't meet them face to face.
Just my opinion.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ringworm
As long as I can remember a tansaction involving residents of different states needs to be done via FFL.

If I was unsure of the person I was dealing with, to the point I didn't trust them to ship a purchase, I sure as chit wouldn't meet them face to face.
Just my opinion.

Agree 100%

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Just either you drive to his state, or he drive to your state, exchange $$, rifle, shotgun, no pistol, have lunch and chew the fat and be on your way, easy as that

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gemby58
Just either you drive to his state, or he drive to your state, exchange $$, rifle, shotgun, no pistol, have lunch and chew the fat and be on your way, easy as that

FINALLY.................. Someone gets it. I swear, I believe that is some people FART they'd put it on the internet. Yep,we're now a GLOBAL society. Now we can solve everyone's problems but our own. Button your lips and carry on your own business and nevermind mine. I'll handle this end.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by gemby58

FINALLY.................. Someone gets it. I swear, I believe that is some people FART they'd put it on the internet. Yep,we're now a GLOBAL society. Now we can solve everyone's problems but our own. Button your lips and carry on your own business and nevermind mine. I'll handle this end.

Don't know why alot of guys on here make it so hard. Geeeezzzzzzz

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,489 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,850
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.