Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Someday I'd like to get a fancy Zeiss or high-end Leupold scope, but for now I'm looking for a 3-9x40 scope in the $200 range. I've narrowed my search down to the Leupold Rifleman and the Redfield Revolution scopes, with the edge going to the Redfield.

I've seen both in person, and looking through them seemed pretty identical. Weight is almost the same. So is eye relief. Warranty is the same as well. Leupold accessories like lens covers are compatible with either. The only real difference (besides appearances) seems to be the click vs friction adjustments.

I'm trying to learn more about scopes, but I still have a lot to learn. Are there other things I should be looking at to compare the two scopes? Any real-world feedback regarding durability?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing wrong with the Redfield, IMO. I'm pretty sure Leupold owns them now, but they are made in the Philipine, I think? Don't know if the Leupold Riflemans are made in the USA, but I assume they are.

Personally, I'd save a little more money and buy one of the new model Leupold VX2's. They have the click adjustment, and the lens quail it is as good as the old VX-III models. Cabelas has the 3x9 VX2 CDS version on sale for $250.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Haha I think the trouble with scopes is that there's always a nicer model $50 more, which makes it very tempting to keep saving.

It's interesting that you recommended the VX-2. I actually started looking at the VX-1 models right after I posted my question. Can be had for as low as $180. But like you say, saving up and spending more probably isn't a bad choice.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have a VX1 3-9x40 & honestly think the Burris FFII 3-9x40mm is better. Can't say anything regarding the Redfield tho they seem to have a good reputation here. I know the Burris E1 (successor to the FFII) was on sale at Natchez for $120-140 last fall.

Based upon what I've seen here I'd not hesitate to get the Burris over the Rifleman but between the two you cite the Redfield. If you're considering a step up go right past the VX1 to the 2 (which I also have) which is a clearly better scope by more than $100 worth) from the 1.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got both. The Rifleman and the Revolution are rumored to have the same glass, though my eyes give the edge to the Revolution. The Revolution, to me, is on par with the VX1, which are both made in the USA. Both also have click adjustments.

The Revenge line is made in the Philippines, I think. I have a Revenge crossbow scope and it seems fine; a huge upgrade over the "package deal" scopes that come on most crossbows.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Honestly neither are very impressive. For the same amount of $$ or less a Burris FF II beats them both by a lot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Honestly neither are very impressive. For the same amount of $$ or less a Burris FF II beats them both by a lot.

Funny. I've sold every Burris FFII I had because my eyes indicated the opposite was true. Maybe I should revisit the Burris as maybe they have changed in the last five years.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The current production VX-1 are a better scope than the Rifleman and Natchez is asking $199.99 for either in matte finish with a duplex reticle.

Natchez's item # LU113874 for the 3-9x40 VX-1 matte/duplex.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'd get a VX1. I have 3 of them and have been well satisfied.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a few V-whatever 1s, both shotgun/MO models and a 4-12. No issues so far, but I just sight 'em in and shoot 'em, so don't push the reliability envelope very far. The ten year-old 4-12 was just mounted on a .223 and the friction adjustments responded as expected. I also bought one of the Leupy Redfields when they came out and it was okay, but the adjustments were a little slow to respond. Once it settled in, it seemed okay. I prefer the appearance of the Leupolds.

I haven't bought a Burris since the day I opened a sealed Signature box and found a Fullfield inside.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When the Revolution was introduced it fell in between the VX-1 and VX-2 as to quality. The VX's have been improved, but not the Redfield. The VX-1 is a better scope today.

Both are USA made.

The Burris FF-II is better than the Revolution and might be better than the VX-1. Close call on that one.

In the $200ish range those are my top 3 choices, with Revolution in 3rd place

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No complaints on the Revolution, USA(by Leupold) made Redfields are nice scopes. I've mounted a total of 1 FF-II(on a friend's rifle) and it was easily the equal of the Redfield to my eyes. If I was in the market for a 3-9 right now I'd look for a(recently discontinued) Weaver Classic V9.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
R
R
Personally I would buy the Redfield over VXI. I had talked to Leupold at a stand at the Eastern Sportsmans Show a few years back and asked them what the difference in the glass between the VX1 and the Revolution was, and after some hesitation the Rep. basically said you buy the VXI to have a Leupold. Take that for what it is worth. Honestly though for $200 I would buy a Nikon ProStaff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the newer VX-I with click adjustments and multicoated lens but VX-I, Revolution, FFII, Prostaff, for $200 or a little less you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
When the Revolution line was introduced by Leupold, it was essentially a VX-1 optically with 1/4 minute finger click adjustments. At that time, it was a better value than both the Rifleman and VX-1 because of its features and intro price of $149 for the 3-9X40mm. The Revolution lacks hand polishing of the tube, and it's not eligible for customizing in the custom shop.
In 2012, the VX-1 was upgraded to the Quantum Optical System with fully multi-coated lenses for higher light transmission and a 1/4 minute finger adjustment. No changes have been made to either the Rifleman or Revolution. With a VX-1 3-9x40mm in the matte finish regularly selling for $199, it's the best value of all three scopes. Between the Revolution and the Rifleman, the edge still goes to the Revolution because of its finger adjustment and better lens coating. All three are built in Beaverton, Oregon.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have no VX-1. I have a Revolution and the Burris FF-II. My eyes tell me the Revolution is clearer and has better eye relief.

Get the a Revolution over the Rifleman.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 12/29/15.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by westernsloper
Someday I'd like to get a fancy Zeiss or high-end Leupold scope, but for now I'm looking for a 3-9x40 scope in the $200 range. I've narrowed my search down to the Leupold Rifleman and the Redfield Revolution scopes, with the edge going to the Redfield.

I've seen both in person, and looking through them seemed pretty identical. Weight is almost the same. So is eye relief. Warranty is the same as well. Leupold accessories like lens covers are compatible with either. The only real difference (besides appearances) seems to be the click vs friction adjustments.

I'm trying to learn more about scopes, but I still have a lot to learn. Are there other things I should be looking at to compare the two scopes? Any real-world feedback regarding durability?

The Revolution is made directly in Oregon by Leupold, and has lifetime warranty and support. The Rifleman is no longer made in Oregon, I have been told.

With Leupold's lifetime warranty behind both, you would probably be a happy-camper with whichever-one suits your fancy.

I chose the Revolution over the Rifleman when I compared both at Cabelas. The Revolution had super eye relief, and I felt it had better glass. Also, click-adjustments versus friction.

Again, though, I'm sure you'd be happy with either.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have never had a rifleman but had a vx1 and my buddy had a revolution. To be frank they were about even enough so that I would probably decide based on the best deal I could find on one of the two. Asto the rifleman it is suppose to be a cheaper version of the vx 1 don't know by how much as I have only looked through them in stores and they seem OK. I will also 2nd the suggestion to consider the Burris. I have had a couple and currently have a pentax pioneer which is just a rebranded version . They are also very good value scopes in this price range. Basically all of theses scopes will offer you good reliability and very useful quality optics for $150-$200.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't buy either. Try to find a used vx2 for about the same cash. You can also find bushnell 4200's in like new condition for $225 or so. That glass is every bit as good as the VX3 line.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Compared a VX-1 and Redfield Revolution today in the store. The VX-1 seemed slightly better, but I liked both a lot. I like the Nikons, but I like the eye relief much better on the Leupolds and Redfields. I also like the lighter weight.

And I like the idea of a nice used scope. I'll have to start searching online classifieds! If anyone has a 3-9 or 4-12 scope that has decent eye relief, weighs less than 14 ounces or so, and will help me kill elk with my .270 Win, let me know!

Last edited by westernsloper; 12/30/15.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (257wthbylover, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 16 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,670
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.