Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
308cal Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
What are your thoughts on the Match Grade hand lapped Wilson Arms barrels that are used on Cooper Rifles? What other brand and grade rifle barrels can they be compared to?

GB1

308cal Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Anyone?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a 6TCU rifle bbl from Bullberry, use Wilson, not bad, smooth bore, when patched, it did pick up copper, accuracy...good, nothing to complain about but not my preference.

Cooper's do have a good accuracy reputation, so they cannot be too bad. If contemplating a Cooper, and concerned - I would post a question about their rifle's - accuracy...

308cal Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 65BR
Had a 6TCU rifle bbl from Bullberry, use Wilson, not bad, smooth bore, when patched, it did pick up copper, accuracy...good, nothing to complain about but not my preference.

Cooper's do have a good accuracy reputation, so they cannot be too bad. If contemplating a Cooper, and concerned - I would post a question about their rifle's - accuracy...

I am looking at building a budget rifle, and I have a buddy that can get me an actual Wilson Arms blank (match grade and hand lapped), that is used on Cooper rifles, for a really good price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What caliber? Can you get the twist and contour you want?

Not sure what "a good price" is but it may make a good shooter for you.

What is the application? Hunting? Hard for anyone to say what to expect as it's not as commonly used for custom builds ie bolt rifles as other brands. They do supply a lot to industry so their specs can't be too bad.

It's a cost-benefit/value decision IMO.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 65BR
What caliber? Can you get the twist and contour you want?

Not sure what "a good price" is but it may make a good shooter for you.

What is the application? Hunting? Hard for anyone to say what to expect as it's not as commonly used for custom builds ie bolt rifles as other brands. They do supply a lot to industry so their specs can't be too bad.

It's a cost-benefit/value decision IMO.

This nails it.

A couple of other things to think about. The Cooper barrels made by Wilson for Cooper are machine-lapped, not hand-lapped, to me it makes no difference since I have faith in a good job from a properly set-up machine.

Putting a Cooper barrel on will not necessarily make a rifle that shoots as well as Cooper's do. There are other things in that equation - such as tight tolerances, receivers that are true, good chambering, hand-bedding, etc. You may well spend the money on the barrel, along with fitting and chambering and end up with a rifle that shoots no better than any other off the shelf rifle.

Like most other things in life - you pay your money and take your chances.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not just get a Douglas barrel and be done with it. Lots of folks here use them and are quite happy with their performance.

308cal Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Why not just get a Douglas barrel and be done with it. Lots of folks here use them and are quite happy with their performance.

Because this is a budget gun, and a Douglas match grade, and air gauged, is $308 before shipping (I could get a Brux shipped for $340), and this barrel is under $150 shipped, and it is match grade, hand lapped, and air gauged, and is regularly used on rifles that carry a 1/2 MOA accuracy guarantee.

I know the final product isn't all dependent on just the barrel blank, and there is alot more too it. I was just asking opinions if anyone had used them or what their thoughts were.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Understood. My only experience with Wilson barrels is with the one attached to my 57M Custom Classic. Very accurate as expected with any Cooper rifle.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wilson Arms has owned Cooper since 2009, which is why Coopers have very good Wilson barrels.

Like many other barrelmakers, Wilson offers various grades of barrels. Just because some are industrial grade doesn't mean they all are.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let us know what you build and how you like it.

308cal Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Will do.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,057
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.