Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Curious about your experiences with heavy barrels. Do you feel there's a tangible accuracy benefit on average when going with a heavier profile than say a Sendero? Not talking about straight cylinder here.... tapered barrels in the Sendero/ #7/ #8 range. Thanks.

The rifle is for LR target shooting and hunting.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
No, not to me.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. I've no experience with heavier than HV/Sendero. Obviously it then dictates stock options. Prefer to stay with Sendero profile UNLESS there's a solid reason to do otherwise.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm having good luck with benchmark #6 and Douglas #7's but a sendero is more than heavy enough if not to heavy for a packing rifle. That said

Jeff you are a machinist start heavy and if it to much turn the thing to what you need and stop asking stupid fn questions. If you want to get your post count up just start a new post for every sentence like others are doing.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Fred, just googled those; it appears you've got the Sendero profile kinda bracketed there? Did you go heavier with the Douglas for the rigidity or to fit a stock you wanted to use, or what?

This rifle will suck to pack anyway. For the moment I don't want to get hung up on a pound this way or that. I'll eat another pound if it significantly ups my odds of a REALLY accurate rifle.

I don't want to buy oversize, mess with it, turn it down, etc....... for one thing, I'm buying a fluted barrel.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Wanted something different. I all ready had several sendero REM varmint contour.

Last edited by fredIII; 01/01/16.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
You think it was worth going heavier?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yes just got this edge back it's an AMU with 8, 1/4 flutes. [Linked Image]

Entered center eyes left well you see. This was 295 yards with 300 mk.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by fredIII; 01/01/16.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Jeff- I just ordered a 5 1/2 contour. Not as heavy as the Sendero but about right for a heavy barrel hunter. Don't think you will see the benefit for a field portable rifle heavier than that. From the bench, probably. The 5 1/2 has a .750 muzzle. With a 338 you should go up one size from this to about .810. I wouldn't go any heavier. Mine is a 6mm.

I am going to build another 340 Wby to shoot at a mile. I will go with the .810 size myself.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
As long as it recoils smoothly heavier equals accuracy. A 12 pound rifle will never be competitive with a 60 to 70 pound unlimited rifle. http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek057.html

The next long range sporter we are building for ourselves should weigh about 22 pounds which is very light for a 2500 yard+ rock shooting rifle. The barrel alone is 11 pounds. It will be real easy packing for my V10.

If I was putting my best foot forward on a heavy 338 it would be a cut rifled barrel from Bartlein. Second choice would be a Krieger. PacNor is at the top of the button barrels for me but I prefer cut barrels for extreme accuracy. Just my personal preference. Button barrels can shoot for sure no doubt but barrel after barrel Bartlein delivers. For contour it would be an MTU finished at 30". That is a lot to ask from a 700 repeater. If I had to use a 700 I would weld up the bottom feed port. Solid bottom single shots are much stronger for supporting heavy barrels. You could also get around the weak action by using a barrel block mounting system and float the action. That would give you something to do for awhile and pay off big dividends in accuracy potential.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
IC B3

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Jeff- I just ordered a 5 1/2 contour. Not as heavy as the Sendero but about right for a heavy barrel hunter. Don't think you will see the benefit for a field portable rifle heavier than that. From the bench, probably. The 5 1/2 has a .750 muzzle. With a 338 you should go up one size from this to about .810. I wouldn't go any heavier. Mine is a 6mm.

I am going to build another 340 Wby to shoot at a mile. I will go with the .810 size myself.

Ok, so that's right around Sendero profile for a .33. Good info. Thanks!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HiredGun
As long as it recoils smoothly heavier equals accuracy. A 12 pound rifle will never be competitive with a 60 to 70 pound unlimited rifle. http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek057.html

The next long range sporter we are building for ourselves should weigh about 22 pounds which is very light for a 2500 yard+ rock shooting rifle. The barrel alone is 11 pounds. It will be real easy packing for my V10.

If I was putting my best foot forward on a heavy 338 it would be a cut rifled barrel from Bartlein. Second choice would be a Krieger. PacNor is at the top of the button barrels for me but I prefer cut barrels for extreme accuracy. Just my personal preference. Button barrels can shoot for sure no doubt but barrel after barrel Bartlein delivers. For contour it would be an MTU finished at 30". That is a lot to ask from a 700 repeater. If I had to use a 700 I would weld up the bottom feed port. Solid bottom single shots are much stronger for supporting heavy barrels. You could also get around the weak action by using a barrel block mounting system and float the action. That would give you something to do for awhile and pay off big dividends in accuracy potential.

Thanks. Hmmm. Bartlien MTU finishes at .930 @ 26". I think that's one size bigger than I'd consider, particularly if it's too heavy for a stock M700 action. Do you feel there's an accuracy threshold there? I hope I expressed that right.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Interesting.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My 338 Lapua has a Sendero contour Rock Creek 5R Carbon wrap barrel and shoots in the .2 MOA range with little load development and it is built on a Rem 700 action. Oh the horror!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
In my experience, bedding, quality of barrel, precision of action/bolt face, right load, and lots of practice help more.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks guys. John, so yours is Sendero for the steel then wrapped to a bigger OD, am I understanding right?

Obviously if I stay with HV/Sendero it opens up a bunch of stock options. That is the plan unless someone comes in and convinces me otherwise. Ordering Monday.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No total diameter including wrap is Sendero contour. Even with a 30" barrel mine weighs just under 13 pounds including scope and bipod.

The part wrapped with carbon is turned down to save weight. If I were going with a non wrapped barrel I would do a fluted medium Palma at 30" finished length.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

IMHO flutter and or carbon wrapped barrel should be a cut rifled barrel because of less stress induced than a button.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
John- thanks. A little hard to do apples/apples because the Bartlien chart shows the Palma's at 30" and Sendero at 26"... but it appears the Medium Palma is slightly heavier than Sendero, but not much. Correct?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Fluted probably not heavier, but if it is would not be much. I ordered mine to be Sendero contour in order to fit the barrel channel of a Sendero stock, since mine started life as a 338 Rum Sendero.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,480
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.