Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
So continue to be the obvious azzwhipe you are. I will just move one that kills chitt worldwide with such crap.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

K
KU_Geo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I'm liking the look and simplicity of those weavers, that might just be the ticket for what I'm looking for on a backup scope

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by EdM
So continue to be the obvious azzwhipe you are. I will just move one that kills chitt worldwide with such crap.

grin
Wahhhhhh wahhhhh wahhh....

Always liked these. Worked as good, or IIRC, better than Weavers but, guess what - don't look like chit. But the current Warne and Warne made Leupolds and of course the excellent Talleys are all refined options that again don't look like cheap crap. Do like the newer version of the Weaver knobs more than the old style disc but the matte black set I just got are all blotchy and crappy looking. They do look better spray painted and will get used eventually but they'll never look refined.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 01/02/16. Reason: Chit

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Could be a long 2016.... it just started and the same old 24 hour campfire posts are flying.

Op asks question. .......
A little later its....."look at my neat stuff".
Which evolves into "my stuff is neater than your stuff".
Which evolves into "no your stuff is [bleep]".
This inevitably brings out the "ass wipe" word.

It's all entertaining and sad at the same time.....lol!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I use both Weavers and Talleys, which one depending on the height the scope needs to be mounted. Weavers allow scopes to be mounted lower, but that's not always an advantage.

Also have a couple of old rifles with the G&H side-mount. They REALLY allowed scopes to be mounted low, because there weren't any bases on top of the action. However, that's only an advantage if the rifle has iron sights that will actually be used, so the center of the scope's reticle can be about the same height as the irons. Irons a little higher than normal will do the same thing with Weavers.

Have tried a couple of the other brands mentioned here but had a couple rings from one brand crack (they turned out to be cast), and another was a major-league PITA to put together.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used Warne's, Talley's, and Leupolds QR rings and liked the "thumb paddle" levers on the Leupolds the best as far as ergo's go. But after several years of use I actually twisted one of the Leup's levers right off.

I have not used the Weavers and am not using any presently.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 01/02/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
I greatly prefer Talleys, however, there is no denying the utility of Weaver's... I can't say that I'm fond of Warnes. They are as expensive as Talleys and yet are made of powdered steel as opposed to being machined from bar stock. I have a set on a Kimber 82C(Warne Premiers) that were prone to rusting(in the safe) and Warne was nearly impossible on the customer service front. Talking to Mr. Talley, on the other hand, is like talking to family that I actually REALLY like... He is a complete Gentleman... fwiw & imho.

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You might just want to toss your little allen wrench in the pack and call it good if you think you might want to switch scopes. What's it take, 4 minutes to swap a scope?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
I've used Warne's, Talley's, and Leupolds QR rings and liked the "thumb paddle" levers on the Leupolds the best as far as ergo's go. But after several years of use I actually twisted one of the Leup's levers right off.

Using none presently.

Problem with the QR Leupold's with the "thumb paddle" is they are unidirectional, and the levers are on the wrong side for most RH shooters (they should be on the port side for slinging the rifle without disturbing them). The levers are also cast, and prone to breaking. These two genetic flaws add up to a no-go for me.

As to aesthetics, I can't fathom how Weavers somehow look like "chit" but alternately the clunky, tall Warnes/Leupold QRW's look good? Really, not even the Talley's are all that good looking. To my eye, the best looking of the bunch are Zee's, but they're not truly QD's. Ditto Ruger rings. The Ruger's are likely the best of the bunch from every perspective, except they're heavy... and only work on Rugers!

Pretty is as pretty does, and for me, the Weavers get there in the simplest, lightest, lowest, bomb-proof manner.

But hell, they've only been around for over 60 years...

My old 30-06 with Zee's... having done most of them, I've come full circle back to Weaver's.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
You might just want to toss your little allen wrench in the pack and call it good if you think you might want to switch scopes. What's it take, 4 minutes to swap a scope?

And zeroing that scope?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kraky111
Could be a long 2016.... it just started and the same old 24 hour campfire posts are flying.

Op asks question. .......
A little later its....."look at my neat stuff".
Which evolves into "my stuff is neater than your stuff".
Which evolves into "no your stuff is [bleep]".
This inevitably brings out the "ass wipe" word.

It's all entertaining and sad at the same time.....lol!

Maybe, given the sensitive nature of 2016, I should have prefaced it with IN MY OPINION they look like chit. LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I have not used the Weavers and am not using any presently.

I like the Talleys, and I also have broken the QR Leupolds, the QRW are probably a lot better. I always pre-sight in a spare with Talleys if I'm going a long ways from home.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Calvin

And zeroing that scope?

It'll be just as zero'd whether you bolt it on or use the QD rings. I've taken scopes off, sent the rifle off for gunsmithing etc, and put the scope back on for a perfect zero when I check it. I'd hope the person bringing a spare would have zero'd that scope for the rifle before the hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You don't have to torque the levers down with the QR system as they are either engaged or not engaged. Trying to make them tighter by forcing the levers does nothing to further secure the scope mount. If you have ever disassembled them you would see what I'm talking about with regard to over torqueing them.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I find my qr's get Tighter and Tighter the more I shoot them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RDFinn
You don't have to torque the levers down with the QR system as they are either engaged or not engaged. Trying to make them tighter by forcing the levers does nothing to further secure the scope mount. If you have ever disassembled them you would see what I'm talking about with regard to over torqueing them.

RD, not sure why or if that's addressed to me, I never said anything about "torquing" Leupold QR's. That was George De Vries.

I'm pretty clear on their build characteristics, I've had them, I'm unimpressed. There are better out there, and I'd not trust the levers to not get broken on a backpack gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Actually, no, I didn't break a Leupy QR by "twisting" or torquing. It jus broke off by rotating it to "closed." This was after a lot of use on a 340 Wby on which I alternated two sighted-in scopes.

It's not the first thing I broke on that rifle.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fun thread (-:....

How about the 1/2" hex nut stuff? They're uber uber.
[Linked Image]
Too me, they're no less lovely...
[Linked Image]

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 01/02/16. Reason: 2016 sensitivity adjustment

--- Kid Rock 2022

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EdM
I am a a fan of the old simple Weaver's. I recently outfitted my 375 H&H with a set for a coming spring bear hunt.

[Linked Image]

I really like that rifle. Have you done a "write-up" on it here on the 'Fire. I'd like to see more pics and a description of what you did with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad

Using none presently.

Problem with the QR Leupold's with the "thumb paddle" is they are unidirectional, and the levers are on the wrong side for most RH shooters (they should be on the port side for slinging the rifle without disturbing them). The levers are also cast, and prone to breaking. These two genetic flaws add up to a no-go for me.

As to aesthetics, I can't fathom how Weavers somehow look like "chit" but alternately the clunky, tall Warnes/Leupold QRW's look good? Really, not even the Talley's are all that good looking. To my eye, the best looking of the bunch are Zee's, but they're not truly QD's. Ditto Ruger rings. The Ruger's are likely the best of the bunch from every perspective, except they're heavy... and only work on Rugers!

Pretty is as pretty does, and for me, the Weavers get there in the simplest, lightest, lowest, bomb-proof manner.

But hell, they've only been around for over 60 years...

My old 30-06 with Zee's... having done most of them, I've come full circle back to Weaver's.

[Linked Image]

Brad,
I've always held your aesthetic views in high regard... Until the above that is. Rugers and Burris Zee Rings indeed. Shame upon you...(grin) I take it you would have you viewed the late Tom Burgesse's rings with equal derision to Talley TNTs? I think they are quite fetching when properly mounted and gapped. Which is an exercise in your desire for perfection that can lead to madness in itself. The split vertical ring is damned difficult to perfectly gap AND perfectly level the reticle.

Happy New Year to you and yours...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 920 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,917
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.