Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I will leave the plastic for the toy guns buy Aluminum and be done.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
While I have no direct experience with this particular receiver, I do have a background in polymers and molding and can say this:

1. These lowers are produced from Nylon 6/6. Now there are many different grades of this polyamide and it is produced by several compounders worldwide so it is hard to say that the one they are using is the *best* blend for the application......however, as a general rule 6/6 is very tough and can take impact loads quite well. It also has good chemical compatibility for all things involved in cleaning a gun.

2. Their website mentions that they use a lot of fiber reinforcement. This is typically fiberglass and at a rate of 5% - 40%. Glass does add additional toughness and rigididy to plastic....especially Nylon....but if you go too high it also can become brittle. Lots of glass can also make the plastic difficult to mold uniformly.....although, with proper part and tool design, this can be overcome.

3. They claim to use brass inserts. This is where the big difference could be. Properly designed and located molded in inserts - threaded for the pistol grip and bushings for the pivot and rear pins - may make these receivers worth a look.

I can feel myself ordering one as I type.....

Last edited by m1919; 01/05/16.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll pass on this for now.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by m1919
While I have no direct experience with this particular receiver, I do have a background in polymers and molding and can say this:

1. These lowers are produced from Nylon 6/6. Now there are many different grades of this polyamide and it is produced by several compounders worldwide so it is hard to say that the one they are using is the *best* blend for the application......however, as a general rule 6/6 is very tough and can take impact loads quite well. It also has good chemical compatibility for all things involved in cleaning a gun.

2. Their website mentions that they use a lot of fiber reinforcement. This is typically fiberglass and at a rate of 5% - 40%. Glass does add additional toughness and rigididy to plastic....especially Nylon....but if you go too high it also can become brittle. Lots of glass can also make the plastic difficult to mold uniformly.....although, with proper part and tool design, this can be overcome.

3. They claim to use brass inserts. This is where the big difference could be. Properly designed and located molded in inserts - threaded for the pistol grip and bushings for the pivot and rear pins - may make these receivers worth a look.

I can feel myself ordering one as I type.....

My background is in breaking parts as a test and development engineer, and I occasionally get to work with this material as well, and can second your comments.

The TA receivers do appear to be glass reinforced Nylon; the material itself is pretty tough.

Where they fall short is the fit & finish quality. Most other parts I've worked with in this material professionally have much better finish, with seams lined up correctly, minimal flash, etc, but not so with TA. You'd think they could at least check to make sure they fit an upper before shipping them out, but apparently not.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/06/16. Reason: typo
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have 2 of TA's lowers currently on rifles, I have 2 more I'm slowly putting together (for the grand daughters) and I have 3 more on order for future projects.

The lowers may need a little tweaking to fit against the upper back at the butt stock but the tweaking is as simple as using a file to get the right fit. The color is molded in so you cannot see where the polymer is removed.

Yes, the lowers do have brass inserts in the pistol grip and where the butt stock tube screws in.

They are coming out with a light weight 308 lower as well.

http://www.tnarmsco.com/ar-308/

Last edited by kwg020; 01/06/16.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Complete and utter junk...and I dont need to touch one to make that determination. The only polymer lower that is even remotely considerable for any sort of serious use is the Cavarms unit, which made no effort to directly copy a design intended for aluminum to an inferior material.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree that a clear lower would look pretty cool.....but unfortunately, unless the lower profile is highly modified (complete redesign) this is unlikely....at least to compete in today's market.

Once you add glass to the polymer to increase its strength, optical clarity is a gonner. So even if these were shot from Polycarbomate (bullet proof glass, eyeglasses, etc) and the mold was polished to produce an optically perfect part, the glass fiber required to stiffen it up would make the part opaque.

Kwg020....I would love to see pics of the final builds if you don't mind sharing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would just look dirty once you shot it even if it was clear to begin with.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by m1919
I agree that a clear lower would look pretty cool.....but unfortunately, unless the lower profile is highly modified (complete redesign) this is unlikely....at least to compete in today's market.

Once you add glass to the polymer to increase its strength, optical clarity is a gonner. So even if these were shot from Polycarbomate (bullet proof glass, eyeglasses, etc) and the mold was polished to produce an optically perfect part, the glass fiber required to stiffen it up would make the part opaque.

Kwg020....I would love to see pics of the final builds if you don't mind sharing.

M1919, I sent you a PM.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks kwg

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So the kind of clear one in the build video is simply a weak version

I know you couldn't do perfectly clear but opaque enough to see the outline of parts and movement would still be cool.

Just like opaque shotgun hulls.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Fiber reinforced clear plastic should look something like fiberglass mat, the kind that's oriented randomly, not the woven stuff. I doubt you'd see through it at all, unless the fibers turned clear with the plastic, like fiberglass can do.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 66 invisible), 3,330 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,479
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.