Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd be thrilled if one of my daughters filled my freezer with venison. I could then just hunt for something with OK antlers (or better than OK antlers).

Many years ago I wanted to break 100 total. Quit caring about that quite a while back.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I just want a Pope and Young by recurve, and then maybe someday get a B&C by gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few years ago I lost interest in shooting Doe. And I don't want bucks that you have to turn the scope up to 9x to see the antlers either. I simply don't care that much if I get a deer or not. So I'll never put up really big numbers which pleases me because I don't want to gut, drag, and butcher that much.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm guessing 250-300. SC has a long season and a liberal limit and I hunt AR as well for 35 years.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I wouldn't have a clue. I quit counting at 100 with a bow and that was probably early 90s...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Last years made 20. I live in eastern Ky. where there's is a one buck limit and until a few years ago it as antlered deer only. Also family and career obligations have limited my hunting to one or two weekends a year for the past 35 years. Frankly I have never figured how so many folks find the time to kill dozens if not hundreds of deer as well as other game.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by moosemike
A few years ago I lost interest in shooting Doe. And I don't want bucks that you have to turn the scope up to 9x to see the antlers either. I simply don't care that much if I get a deer or not. So I'll never put up really big numbers which pleases me because I don't want to gut, drag, and butcher that much.

I shoot what needs to be shot for the betterment of the herd. And now and then a wall deer. But pretty rare.

So I shoot does, culls and so on.

I don't really understand why some folks get tired of does or culls and just shoot big bucks.

I can totally get the desire to shoot less and less as I age, I have not really gotten there, but I enjoy all the work too. Well making sausage to the tune of 600 pounds a year is getting to be a job...

But I don't get folks not maintaining what they hunt like they would their livestock. You do whats best for the herd.

On one place all we ever shot were does. On anohter place I've never shot a doe, though finally we are getting to numbers that we may start shooting 1 or 2 a year. Another place we shot cull bucks only. Another place I shoot anything that needs to... but having shot the biggest buck of my life there last year, and the chances of finding bigger are almost nil or less, I suspect that place will now be does and culls for the rest of my life.

So whats up with folks not wanting to shoot cull bucks or does? IF its good for the herd?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bangeye
Last years made 20. I live in eastern Ky. where there's is a one buck limit and until a few years ago it as antlered deer only. Also family and career obligations have limited my hunting to one or two weekends a year for the past 35 years. Frankly I have never figured how so many folks find the time to kill dozens if not hundreds of deer as well as other game.

Some folks just make priorities. Some are more like you, kind of a hobby hunter in a way. Do it a few times and what is, is.

For us, come about September through end of Feb nothing much serious gets done around the houses and land... just what has to be. We hunt. Its what we like to do. Its our life in many ways. Then the rest of the year is very little hunting, but catching up on other stuff we are behind on.

I'm not saying you are right, i"m wrong, I'm just trying to answer your question.

I even know a guy that tells me I'm going to kill one next weekend so I don't have to go anymore... WTF to me... I'd go even if I didn't have a tag, just to go watch and relax.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have no clue

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rost495

I shoot what needs to be shot for the betterment of the herd. And now and then a wall deer. But pretty rare.

I don't really understand why some folks get tired of does or culls and just shoot big bucks.

I can totally get the desire to shoot less and less as I age, I have not really gotten there, but I enjoy all the work too. Well making sausage to the tune of 600 pounds a year is getting to be a job...

But I don't get folks not maintaining what they hunt like they would their livestock. You do whats best for the herd.

On one place all we ever shot were does. On anohter place I've never shot a doe, though finally we are getting to numbers that we may start shooting 1 or 2 a year. Another place we shot cull bucks only. Another place I shoot anything that needs to... but having shot the biggest buck of my life there last year, and the chances of finding bigger are almost nil or less, I suspect that place will now be does and culls for the rest of my life.

So whats up with folks not wanting to shoot cull bucks or does? IF its good for the herd?
I shoot whatever I've got tags for so long as it's made out of venison. I don't shoot fawns simply because I want to maximize the amount of meat I get out of a tag. What I never have understood is people who seem determined to turn deer into livestock. Where I hunt they're wild animals and I have no desire to plant food for them or feed them in any way. In fact, feeding deer is completely illegal here and I'm glad for that.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've probably killed 100. We eat 3 a year. Most I've killed in a year was 6. When the kids were little and growing.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bangeye
Frankly I have never figured how so many folks find the time to kill dozens if not hundreds of deer as well as other game.

I love deer hunting. Fortunately I own my own company and have good guys working for me. My routine in the fall and winter, up until the end of January, is I take off a few hours early on Fridays, come in to work a few hours late on Saturday mornings, and we're closed Saturday afternoons, which allows me to hunt in the evening. The first week after Thanksgiving is the beginning of shotgun season and I take some vacation time and we're closed Christmas week.

I average about 12 a year. We're over populated here and the bag limits are generous in a way to protect the heard.

Bow - 1 buck and unlimited does
Muzzle Loader - 1 buck and 10 does
Shotgun - 1 buck and 10 does
1 bonus buck with the weapon of choice after killing 2 does

I generally take the first couple and get them ground into Burger (add 20% beef fat)and hot Italian Sausage (add 20% pork fat). I keep most of the back straps and some roasts. Then I start giving it away to my son (if he's not getting out and taking some his self)and my guys who don't hunt. These Hispanic guys will take all you can give them. When I get tired of cutting meat, I donate to Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry. I donated 3 last year as well as $150.00 to help pay for processing.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 09/08/16.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

I only hunt public land so I really can't manage the herd.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I kept records on every deer shot.
Time, date, temp, weather, location, weapon, load, #shots, distances, travel after hit etc.

Yup.

Between 10am and 2 pm, rain or shine, bow or gun. Medium distances (for weapon type).

Lots of data, for a rather boring and often cited elsewhere conclusion.

Stopped recording data.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I don't need to shoot more than 2 deer.

Have no problem with killing. Pretty damn good at it.

Not sure what's going on, just don't have the heart to blast stuff like I used to.

Love to cook/eat..........but even a doe by recurve is starting to feel funky.

I know I can kill 'em. Seems to be "good enough" more and more.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
More fun these days, watching/helping buds take critters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess that's a quick way to a high post count.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Stream of consciousness type of posting. Don't give a [bleep] about post counts.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Some of us are old enough that 40 could still be less than one per year. frown

+1

Ted
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
conservativly 75

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,288
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.