Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
This entire thread is a disaster.

A manufacturer, that has gone out of his way to produce something out their normal spec for us, is being thrown under the bus.

The OP didn't ask MRC to correct any issues in the first email. He even complemented the workmanship of the rifle towards the end of the email. Regardless of the weight issue, a standard MRC will never be a light rifle - nor will a Winchester or a Ruger.

My dealings with Jeff have been excellent. He's gone out of his way to accommodate my whims -- many of which are requests from members here. I've found the customer service at MRC to be top notch.

Try getting Kimber, Ruger, Remington or Winchester to do something that deviates from their standard product offerings. It's like talking to a brick wall. I say this in humor, but those four appear to be in a race to see who can screw up a good thing the fastest!

The bottom line -- MRC has never denied a request from me. They've actually gone out of their way to make it work. Emails aren't personal and I consider them to be confidential at the business level. Pick up the phone and call. I've no doubt this would have been resolved in the first phone conversation with Jeff.

I agree with 100% of this... I think MRC makes a fine product. Personally, I'd buy the action and build my own, but that's just me.

However, it still begs the question... did MRC switch from a laid glass stock to a chopped glass stock?

Thx.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ran into a similar situation when I bought my Vanguard .223. My rifle came with a 1-14 twist, not the current 1-9. Disappointing, but not a huge deal. My fault for not doing my due diligence; the information is out there (and on here). Otherwise, the rifle is a peach in every way, and I can work around the twist issue.

You guys seem to have a fine operation down there. Can you sell over the counter to WV residents?

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Brad
the rifle stock design changed over the last year from using a 3 lb foam and Fiberglass to using a 6 lb foam mixed with Glass strands and Carbon fiber with Kevlar reinforcements.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that sure as heck sounds like they switched from a laid-glass stock (like a Kimber MT) to a chopped glass stock (like a Bell and Carlson). That would certainly account for the weight discrepancy...

They did the opposite actually. Just a poor job of it.

Last edited by pathfinder76; 01/09/16.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This entire thread is a disaster.

A manufacturer, that has gone out of his way to produce something out their normal spec for us, is being thrown under the bus.

The OP didn't ask MRC to correct any issues in the first email. He even complemented the workmanship of the rifle towards the end of the email. Regardless of the weight issue, a standard MRC will never be a light rifle - nor will a Winchester or a Ruger.

My dealings with Jeff have been excellent. He's gone out of his way to accommodate my whims -- many of which are requests from members here. I've found the customer service at MRC to be top notch.

Try getting Kimber, Ruger, Remington or Winchester to do something that deviates from their standard product offerings. It's like talking to a brick wall. I say this in humor, but those four appear to be in a race to see who can screw up a good thing the fastest!

The bottom line -- MRC has never denied a request from me. They've actually gone out of their way to make it work. Emails aren't personal and I consider them to be confidential at the business level. Pick up the phone and call. I've no doubt this would have been resolved in the first phone conversation with Jeff.

I agree with this.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Glad I'm not the only one who has an issue with making these emails public? Pretty low in my opinion. That being I said I read nothing here that makes me think Montana and Mr. Sipe have done wrong.

Anybody obsessed with weight to this level has no business buying a gun sight unseen IMHO.

Kiss the campfire specials goodbye gents.

Last edited by Three30Eight; 01/09/16.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
MRC makes a fine rifle, have one. The accuracy isn't mediocre. But I guess the crowd that unrealistically expects little 3 shot clusters when they think they did their part look at it differently. It also feeds fine. First load out of mine hangs around an inch. I wasn't happy with the balance, but 2 inches off the barrel and the difference was noticeable. Lost a couple ounces also. Hmmm.

Have talked with them on the phone and their customer service is great. SAS and Whittaker are solid and go out of their way here on the fire to be a great place for us to find what we want.

I was waiting for this to happen and knew it was only a matter of time. Couple phone calls instead of a public bitch and this all could have been avoided.

You can save a half pound with the floor plate offer. A couple ounces with a different scope. Perhaps another with Talley rings. Shed a couple by cutting the barrel back an inch or so. Ask if perhaps this particular stock is out of spec and if so request an exchange. Adapt or sell it and move on.

Last edited by battue; 01/09/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Misrepresented 8-10 oz is more than I'd be happy with. Don't blame you for that.

I'd think I'd just of called them, let them know, and discussed options to drop some weight. All the drama here won't do anyone any favors.

Curious as to the stock as well when I saw "Strand".

Oh well, nice rifle. Bet it's a shooter.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Also the shank length would bother me more than a mid weight sporter coming in half a pound over weight.

Why exactly is this?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
After reading through this thread, as well as hearing about the Forbes Rifle debacle, seems like it may be best to stay far away from these boutique gun makers until they've had a few years to iron out their products....or perhaps stay away from them altogether.

Billy,

They make an excellent rifle. This is nothing like the Forbes debacle.

Agreed. It is totally different from Forbes in that MRC quality is really good in my experience. I like supporting Montana Rifles. They are making an excellent quality rifle and from a smaller manufacturer that offers flexibility in options and from a design standpoint is Model 70 plus P in that the 1999 combines the better features of both M70s and Mausers. I particularly like that Whittaker is able to have these special runs made with options and twist rates and chamberings that loonies like.

All my MRCs have been super accurate, too.

With that said, I don't expect them to be flyweight light--just solid, well-built, medium-weight hunting rifles, which is not a bad niche given the spotty quality control from the larger rifle makers at times. If you want flyweight in this price range, get the other Montana, a Kimber, which are excellent rifles also, or if you want to spend more and the stock fits you, which it doesn't fit everyone, get a NULA.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
.338Fed, old style stock with aluminum bedding block, barrel cut down to 20inch, LOP cut back to 13inch, Leupold 6x42, Leupold QR rings and there is more to be lost if I want. If they come out with the aluminum floor plate, I will be on the phone first chance.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 01/09/16.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue
If they come out with the aluminum floor plate, I will be on the phone first chance.

Doesn't PT&G's aluminum model fit the MRC?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Brad,

I don't know, but thanks for the heads up. Will give them a call.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Quick 2oz or 1/8pound if that sounds heavier. smile Leupold 3x.

Don't need a 6x42 if I'm in the woods, which is where this rifle spends most of its time. Little things add up.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ditch the QR bases/rings, put on Talley X-Low Lwt's, and lose another 2 oz's.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Also the shank length would bother me more than a mid weight sporter coming in half a pound over weight.

Why exactly is this?

It's the way it looks to me mostly but weight can be shed there and we're talking about the weight.

I shouldn't have said that though because this is a production rifle not a custom....so I made a stupid statement about that.

I stand my my statement about the way this has been handled over this amount of weight on this weight class of a rifle. Lots of drama over mid weight production rifle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have thought about that and just have a woods rifle and be done with it. Didn't put the 6x42 on the entire season.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The shank would bother ME, if the rifle otherwise fits into aftermarket stocks that is. My first rebarrel was my M7 >> .358 many years ago and in my naïveté, I didn't tell Pac-Nor to dupe the M7 profile in that area of the barrel. So they long-shanked it. Made for a lot of extra stock work and prevents it from dropping into aftermarket stocks. So if the shank on the MRC does that, it'd bother me.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not sure why it's an issue that it was brought up here. It was a run especially for this forum, and this post was made especially for this forum as a review of this gun and the customer service received. I highly doubt it was plastered all over every forum site, facebook, twitter, etc., etc.

True, there may not be a wrongdoing on the company's part- just a pretty significant oversight, and not updating specifications or letting anyone know that specifications have changed, at the time the orders were placed.

I wouldn't call 11-12 oz. discrepancy being "obsessed". It is a semi-custom gun, and if ordering one, I'd damn sure want the gun to be at least built to the specs that are published about it. What if someone got horrible accuracy out of a gun, and called a company and they said, "well, our claims of accuracy are just a general term, and every gun can vary, depending on how it was built at the time, and other circumstances."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And to finally stir the pot grin , don't fret the 1:8 and cut a trade deal with SAS. The young lady will thank you. Montana .243.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I laid out money for a new red truck then after months of waiting a black truck was delivered I wouldn't be happy.

If I wanted to communicate a problem a record of such communications is email....that simple

I read the MRC email about the same as the dealings I have had with Alex at Kimber.....I can't stand Alex

The firearms industry CS could learn a lot from the handloading industry CS

TAYLOR was waiting for a rifle that was lighter.

He didn't get what was advertised

I for one learned a little bit about MRC today

Right or wrong it was good read

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (320090T, 163bc, 10Glocks, 3333vl, 308ld, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,214
Posts18,503,939
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.