Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LOL, sorry to let you down Matt!

For me, unless a rifle has open sights, I'm not especially interested in detachable rings. And a rifle I own with open sights is going to be a "utility" or "practical" rifle, which really goes to pure function, with nothing superfluous added. Granted, any of the rings mentioned in this thread will work admirably for such a rifle, but I think you know my penchant for weight savings, and the Weavers are the lightest of those mentioned... and the lowest. And are beyond proven in terms of durability, at least to myself, so that's where I hang my hat.

I'll put up a picture of my 270 Win "practical rifle" when it's done, and I'll bet you see the beauty in it. If not I'll buy you a beer next time you're in Bozeman. Deal? laugh

Here's my old, heavier 30-06 version... I think it has a sort of beauty, no?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Actually, no, I didn't break a Leupy QR by "twisting" or torquing. It jus broke off by rotating it to "closed." This was after a lot of use on a 340 Wby on which I alternated two sighted-in scopes.

I know of other guys breaking those levers George... I think they're a cheap casting.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
tbear. I think you might mean the QRW's. Leupold has 2 different quick release systems. The QRW uses a weaver type base and the QR (quick release) system uses a different ring and base all together. I've had the QRW's, but didn't like the long sharp locking lever on them. They are also heavier than they need to be. I've also had a set of Warnes and they are much of the same thing. I'd go with the Leupold QR bases and rings if looking for a good set to go on my rifles:

Leupold QR bases

Leupold QR rings. Shown to represent the style. I'm not saying he needs lows..

Here are the Leupold QRW's on my old 375 H&H:
[Linked Image]
I didn't care for them much and just went back to the plain ol PRW's.

Here are the Warnes:
[Linked Image]
I didn't really care for these either...

Your'e right it was qrw i did have one set of qr's that never had a problem with

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ive used the Weavers alot over the years , but the last couple of sets I used , it felt like the cross bolts were soft...when tourqing the rings down it seemed like the nuts never bottomed out...like the bolts were stretching

and after some shooting the nuts felt loose again

so I have starting using aluminum TPS rings , they are much stouter , but probably weigh very little more. made to a much higher quality standard IMO , and WONT cant the scope when you tighten down the screws....only disadvantage is you will need a small hex wrench or pliers to detach the scope

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of the quick release variety I have used Talley's, Leupold's and Warne and they all worked fine. Talley's being the priciest of the three I wouldn't say they were any better than the others.

Here is a pic of my 375 H&H with Talley's
[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I hate mounting Warne quick release rings. I've got a bunch of them and will not buy more. They work fine but a pain.

Never gave the old school Weavers a look until I needed some extended rings and I see why they have been around so long. Recon most people who use the Weavers don't play musical scopes. Nice thing about them is you can use the coin you save from buying the Weavers to take them on and off.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Them Weaver rings look like chit! I use them some but their chit looks and chit slotted screws and chit finish are just - chit. They do look swell for stuff like Tasco 4Xs on Marlin 60s though. LOL

I totally agree...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll offer to trade used 1" Weaver rings for your used 1" QR Warnes, 2 set of Weavers in return for 1 set of Warne QRs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Talley also offers a Peep sight that attaches to their base.FWIW

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I use the Leupold QRW bases on a travelling 375HH and have had no issues. I have a pair of identical scopes for the rifle and swapping back and forth they retain their accuracy without adjustment - a nice piece of mind when far from home. Personally, I think all of the quick release mounts are a bit ugly, it's just what degree of ugliness you can tolerate. Granted, aesthetics are part of the package, but I can overlook that aspect as long as they function as designed. I think what has been missing from this discussion is repeatable accuracy when swapping/replacing scopes.
Cheers

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
To have had two sets of QD (Warne) mounts in use since the early 90s. Bottom line is they work at the range, but I have never used the QD feature while hunting.

The regular ugly Weavers return to zero really well. No lever, you need a quarter, washer, or multi tool to remove/replace them.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't have the experience with the different brands that many on here have commented about. I've used only the Leupold QR mounts on a Model 70 and a 700 Remington.

I was quite amazed with the return-to-zero capability. I checked both rifles and scopes at 100 yard targets; zero was maintained. I swapped scopes on the Remington at 300 yard targets; still worked fine.

I've had no problems with the levers, but, according to posters on this forum, they may be a source of weakness.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lotech
I don't have the experience with the different brands that many on here have commented about. I've used only the Leupold QR mounts on a Model 70 and a 700 Remington.

I was quite amazed with the return-to-zero capability. I checked both rifles and scopes at 100 yard targets; zero was maintained. I swapped scopes on the Remington at 300 yard targets; still worked fine.

I've had no problems with the levers, but, according to posters on this forum, they may be a source of weakness.

There is no "may be" about it. The QR levers just aren't very robust and are the Achilles Heel of the design. Snapping them off on my gun room's floor was a PITA, but not even close to the degree it would have been if they had snapped off in the field.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Of course, if you don't want those "ugly" Weavers, or "fragile" lever releases, and you can bear the cost, there are some other options. I have been very happy with a scope on a claw mount, for example: near enough to instant on, and off, and excellent return to zero. There are other designs such as EAW's pivot too. NECG has a selection of these.

Pricy though, especially as compared to the Weavers I have on some other rifles, or even the lever-release rings on a couple of others.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BC3
I use the Leupold QRW bases on a travelling 375HH and have had no issues. I have a pair of identical scopes for the rifle and swapping back and forth they retain their accuracy without adjustment - a nice piece of mind when far from home. Personally, I think all of the quick release mounts are a bit ugly, it's just what degree of ugliness you can tolerate. Granted, aesthetics are part of the package, but I can overlook that aspect as long as they function as designed. I think what has been missing from this discussion is repeatable accuracy when swapping/replacing scopes.
Cheers

Good point. I think a lot of us think about this, but fail to mention this in our posts. I will add that the QRW rings that I used on my 375 returned to zero very well... However, I still did not like the long sharp levers. I opted to just go with the PRW rings instead....:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good looking rig BSA, hopefully those PRWs won't 'splode on you.

A guy at work was bragging these up, seriously. That's what's cool with an uber-company like Weavmart, there's something for everyone, and the 'limited' warranty is noteworthy t'boot.

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like I said, "ugly is as ugly does"... Finn Aagaard's PH rifle, a pre-64 M70 in 375 H&H, that has seen more actual hunting than all the rifles on this thread combined.

And I notice, like me, Aagaard mounts the ring removal apparatus (knobs/levers... especially levers) on the side that actually makes sense... the port side. All the "pretty" rifles on this thread have the knobs/levers mounted on the "wrong side." Curious that the aesthetic elitists can't manage to figure out the most fundamental of concepts...

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
Like I said, "ugly is as ugly does"... Finn Aagaard's PH rifle, a pre-64 M70 in 375 H&H, that has seen more actual hunting than all the rifles on this thread combined.

And I notice, like me, Aagaard mounts the ring removal apparatus (knobs/levers... especially levers) on the side that actually makes sense... the port side. All the "pretty" rifles on this thread have the knobs/levers mounted on the "wrong side." Curious that the aesthetic elitists can't manage to figure out the most fundamental of concepts...

[Linked Image]

Leupold QR levers are on the left side and integral to the base(es), rather than in the rings, so due to the design they can't be reversed in most, if not all, applications. When I install Leupold QRW, Warne QR, or the Weaver rings that you've pictured, I install them with the QR levers, or the Weaver "nut", on the right side of the rifle for both practical and aesthetic purposes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Leupold QR levers are on the left side and integral to the base(es), rather than in the rings, so due to the design they can't be reversed in most, if not all, applications.

I'm aware of that, which is why I said earlier in the thread they're "uni-directional." I've had them, and their inability to be mounted with the levers on the port side is just one more reason I won't use them. The levers are somewhat fragile, and if Leupold had been thinking they'd have made them so the levers are port side, not the side where they will get rubbed and potentially moved or broken when slung.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As to weight's:

Leupold LOW QRW's: 4.8 oz's.
Weaver LOW: 2.3 oz's.

But at least the QRW's are higher... if you're going to have more weight, may as well get it up in the air grin

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 63 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.