Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by battue
And to finally stir the pot grin , don't fret the 1:8 and cut a trade deal with SAS. The young lady will thank you. Montana .243.

[Linked Image]

But it's got a long barrel shank.

HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, but I'm thinking the young lady will not notice. smile

Here is the final kicker. If I'm buying a rifle that my young 12 year old Daughter or Son will sometimes use, then even if it made specs, I'm not going saddle them up with an 8pound plus rifle. In today's world, even most adults are leaning the other way for a carrying rifle.

Yes, they didn't get their website upgraded, but they did offer some solutions. Blind magazine and possible future floor plate upgrades. Next years hunting season is a good way off and a good chance exists this rifle will make wrestling weight by then. A small amount of patience sometimes reaps large rewards.

Just me, but who was the rifle bought for in the first place.

Last edited by battue; 01/09/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I was waiting for this to happen and knew it was only a matter of time.

Like death and taxes.... smile

Hats off to Darrick and Montana for the effort they put into this. And i don't have one!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would only add that I don't care for the long action ejection port relief on the stock with a short action. I would have to have that fixed right away.

[Linked Image]

Second: The little bit of extra metal on the barrel shank means no more than 1 1/2 ounces. I wouldn't give that a second thought.

I'm guessing the stock is the main reason for the weight difference. A pretty easy but time consuming fix for the builder.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy an Edge, flute the barrel and move on...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Buy an Edge, flute the barrel and move on...

Don't pour more money into it

Sell it and move on

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're probably right.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
This entire thread is a disaster.

A manufacturer, that has gone out of his way to produce something out their normal spec for us, is being thrown under the bus.

The OP didn't ask MRC to correct any issues in the first email. He even complemented the workmanship of the rifle towards the end of the email. Regardless of the weight issue, a standard MRC will never be a light rifle - nor will a Winchester or a Ruger.

My dealings with Jeff have been excellent. He's gone out of his way to accommodate my whims -- many of which are requests from members here. I've found the customer service at MRC to be top notch.

Try getting Kimber, Ruger, Remington or Winchester to do something that deviates from their standard product offerings. It's like talking to a brick wall. I say this in humor, but those four appear to be in a race to see who can screw up a good thing the fastest!

The bottom line -- MRC has never denied a request from me. They've actually gone out of their way to make it work. Emails aren't personal and I consider them to be confidential at the business level. Pick up the phone and call. I've no doubt this would have been resolved in the first phone conversation with Jeff.

SAS you're right, I handled this situation poorly by posting the email train. You've gone out of your way to help me and others on this forum by bringing us these group buys and many other 24Hr only specials. I am truly sorry for putting you in this situation. You have been nothing but professional in my dealings with you and your company.

I also owe Jeff at MRC an apology. In my initial email I didn't ask for anything, because I didn't know what options would be available if any to fix the weight issue. I do appreciate the workmanship and detail put into this rifle, just not the weight. Jeff has gone above what I expected in the customer service department, by saying he'd personally doing the work for the conversion to the blind magazine himself. Again this was far above what I expected.

I'm making no excuses for my actions, and I probably let some personal things that are happening in my life bleed into this "disaster" without realizing it. I was excited to be receiving this rifle after seeing the good results in the .260 Group buy. I let my disappointment get the better of me when the rifle was not what I expected. I pushed when I probably should have let the issue drop, and again I am sorry for doing that.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
After reading this thread the only firm conclusion I can come to is this: I need to buy a rifle from SAS. Perhaps an MRC 7x57....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oregon45
After reading this thread the only firm conclusion I can come to is this: I need to buy a rifle from SAS. Perhaps an MRC 7x57....

Yep total agreement

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Impression of the one MRC rifle I have is they are made to a high standard. Work them without knowing what you have in your hand and you may think 70 pre 64. Well almost, but close. Accuracy is fine, but there will always be variables and some who talk better than they shoot.

Certainly not a LW, but they don't make any claims to be one. However a FW barrel contour wouldn't be a bad move on their part.

Last edited by battue; 01/09/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I bought a Sako Roughtech pro on a whim(because of a really good CABELAS DEAL) a few months ago in 7 Rem mag. Factory weight is supposed to be 6.8 , actual weight on a postage scale was 7 lbs 9 ounces.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Impression of the one MRC rifle I have is they are made to a high standard. Work them without knowing what you have in your hand and you may think 70 pre 64. Well almost, but close. Accuracy is fine, but there will always be variables and some who talk better than they shoot.

Certainly not a LW, but they don't make any claims to be one. However a FW barrel contour wouldn't be a bad move on their part.

I have handled 2 of them at a LGS and liked both of them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
4 more internet pages confirming the old addage that, "No good deed goes unpunished", especially if you have an internet forum to complain about your problems on.

Kudos to SAS for trying, but hoping to please everyone's whims is like trying tp push a log chain up a steep hill. Furthermore, its too bad that one person's problems have to be publicly aired on a forum where even more people will never agree. But I guess thats the definition of the internet.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BayouRover
4 more internet pages confirming the old addage that, "No good deed goes unpunished", especially if you have an internet forum to complain about your problems on.

Kudos to SAS for trying, but hoping to please everyone's whims is like trying tp push a log chain up a steep hill. Furthermore, its too bad that one person's problems have to be publicly aired on a forum where even more people will never agree. But I guess thats the definition of the internet.

I for one am glad this "one" person publicly aired his problems and issues with his rifle....I learned there are still more problems in yet another rifle manufacturers qc and cr departments they should take notes from the handloading industry

I don't know SAS but I do know he is a businessman and will be just fine without any more 24 bs

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
This was inevitable....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
the rifle stock design changed over the last year from using a 3 lb foam and Fiberglass to using a 6 lb foam mixed with Glass strands and Carbon fiber with Kevlar reinforcements.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that sure as heck sounds like they switched from a laid-glass stock (like a Kimber MT) to a chopped glass stock (like a Bell and Carlson). That would certainly account for the weight discrepancy...

A chopped glass stock would save $ and increase weight, no?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

[Linked Image]

The extended ejection port inlet is a COMPLETE ZERO for a rifle like this... sheesh.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
3 major issues visible with just one picture- one of which is the whole cause of this thread, however, weight is actually a functional issue. The long shank and incorrect ejection port are cosmetic, but how can such things be remotely expected on a semi-custom rifle? Maybe they have a strength reason for the extended shank, maybe not.

What it looks like is they use the same barrel contour for short and long actions and the same stock ejection port for both as well. Why build two action lengths if the whole gun does not follow the action size?

These are 3 things that many potential buyers will immediately see at a show such as SHOT. They will pick up the gun and notice the weight, then look it over and notice the other things. At least if it was just feeding and accuracy issues (as seen in the other thread here), those wouldn't be immediate first impression factors by buyers seeing the gun in person.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The only problem I see here is that apparently the OP mistakenly ordered a standard sporter weight rifle when what he wanted was a Featherweight.

I don't see how this is a problem for the manufacturer or why it's their responsibility to "fix" it, how they are even expected to "fix" it, considering that the rifle is the "wrong" rifle choice for the customer.

The "dealer" is the correct party to deal with complaints made their customers who might want something different than what they bought after taking it home and fondling it...it happens.

The correct solution is to return the rifle that the customer ordered by mistake, and is now, as one might expect, unhappy with to the dealer, and then exchange it for a different rifle that he thinks he wants now.

Some dealers will do this with a registered NIB rifle and some won't, and either policy is fine, as long as it's made clear to the buyer before the transaction is made.

That is a standard policy for most businesses.

However, in this case it seems like the dissatisfied customer is insisting on making some vacuous claim that the product is defective in order to try to get the manufacturer to do a bunch of custom work for free. I wouldn't enable this for many different reasons, and one primary reason is because it doesn't address the problem, ie, that the customer has a rifle that isn't right for him.

Both of these companies look to be very stand-up folks, but the manufacturer choosing to handle this situation in this manner, is only going to open up a can of worms that will still solve none of the fundamental problems.

The manufacturer should have properly referred the customer back to the dealer to resolve it, and if I were the dealer, I would have ripped the manufacturer a new one for interfering with my business transaction with my customer. The manufacturer should only step-in if the dealer refers him.

The policy of enabling a disgruntled customer and buying into their scenario that gives credence to incorrect and obscure warranty claims serves none of the parties well, especially the customer, and will almost never result in a good outcome.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 46 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,260
Posts18,504,811
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.