Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Okay, I took the die apart, cleaned and lubed.

Installed into the press and followed mathman's instructions, 1/4 then 1/steenth at a time. The necks stopped sizing at .310" outside dimension. Inside dimension as well as I can measure was .280, maybe .282". I'll need to clean the flash hole before I prime.

I measured the brass, it ranged from 2.492" to 2.500". Everything chambered. No crush or tension, the cases chambered easily.

This seems too easy, what am I doing wrong?

P

After seating a bullet pull on it to see if it stays put, you can't be too careful. wink

Will do, thanks.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Where were all you sonsabitches when I got started reloading? I've been FL sizing for years. Neck sizing is a piece of cake!

No lube

No trimming (or greatly reduced)

Faaaar less brass fatigue

Quicker

Now let's see if my loads are still accurate.

P

Don't screw up your results with the collet die with the next step...seating the bullet.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep. I follow up my inexpensive Lee collet sizers by seating bullets with Redding Competition and Forster Ultra dies. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Yep. I follow up my inexpensive Lee collet sizers by seating bullets with Redding Competition and Forster Ultra dies. grin

I follow up my inexpensive Lee collet size dies with my inexpensive Lee Loader straight line bullet seater. wink

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by postoak
For reasons I don't understand belted magnum cases stop chambering after as little as two reloadings with the collet neck sizing die. I have stopped using mine on them. Instead I full-length resize, setting the shoulder back .002-.003".

Cases could be getting tight in the chamber just above the belt too.

Probably so, but why doesn't this happen with non-belted cases?

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use Hornady Custom seating dies.

How good is the seating die that came with the neck sizer?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Lee "dead length" seater can be pretty good, particularly in dealing with compressed loads, but sometimes Lee QC isn't the best.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The 90 degree corner there? I don't have a real good answer.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
tag

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Now let's see if my loads are still accurate.

Usually they will be more accurate. Of course, the brass is dedicated to the rifle that first fired it. It probably won't fit in any other gun.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Actually, now that I think about it, accuracy was about the same with the collet die as the fl die I replaced it with.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Guys,
Are the custom collet dies from Lee worth it where you send a few pieces of fired brass? Are they supplying a die with a mandrel that best suits the supplied brass? Trying to learn...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by postoak
For reasons I don't understand belted magnum cases stop chambering after as little as two reloadings with the collet neck sizing die. I have stopped using mine on them. Instead I full-length resize, setting the shoulder back .002-.003".

Cases could be getting tight in the chamber just above the belt too.

Larry Willis makes another collet die, one that sizes a belted mag case just above the belt. Sometimes even a FL die doesn't completely size there very well. Google his name.

That's not an uncommon problem with belted cases.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woods
I use a lot of Lee Collets. They are made NOT cam over or size at the bottom of the ram stroke. The instructions say to screw in 2 full turns. All it takes is approx. 25 pounds weight on the lever to close the collets on the neck. Too much pressure will pop the aluminum cap

http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/RM3512.pdf

The way I adjust the die is to run the lock ring up as far as possible

[Linked Image]

This will put the ram lever at the highest position

[Linked Image]

Making it easy to lean on the lever and put approx. 25# weight on it. As the die was meant to be used

I have had several conversations with Lee Techs and ordered undersized (at least undersized in their opinion) mandrels

[Linked Image]

and prefer the mandrels that give .003" bullet grip (that will vary with work hardening/annealing)

If you need to size the shoulder the Redding Body Die makes a perfect companion die for sizing the case body and pushing the shoulder back when needed

P, pay particular attention to what Woods said above (highlighted in red). Work hardened brass will SPRING AWAY from the mandrel more than soft brass or new brass and results in less sizing and changes the tension on the bullet. If this is happening you need to anneal the necks or discard and begin with new brass.

If you choose to anneal, sometimes the freshly annealed neck will drag on the mandrel and in this case I apply a little dry lube to the inside and outside of the neck. This does not happen very often, but is just something to be aware of.

Another thing to be aware of is neck thickness. Case brands vary in this regard and can vary within the same manufacturer by different lots. For example I find Remington cases to be thicker than Winchester in most cases. All this can change the case tension on the bullet.

Last edited by roundoak; 01/13/16.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Round oak, do you turn down the necks of the brass that is too thick?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'd like to add this is one of the most informative threads, on a topic of which I have little knowledge, I've read on the board. Thanks to all who share their knowledge. It is much appreciated!

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
With the Lee Collet Neck Sizer, neck turning is less critical, IMO. There is no expander to pull a slightly asymmetrical neck crooked, the mandrel keeps is aligned.

Concentric ammo isn't that hard to achieve with this die, in fact this is about the slickest way to produce very good ammo with min. case prep.

But, I'm not a bench rest shooter...

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/14/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Round oak, do you turn down the necks of the brass that is too thick?

I only turn the necks of my two 22-250 rifles, my big game hunting rifle cases don't get turned. In dealing with neck thickness, I first adjust the die, if that is not satisfactory, I polish down the mandrel and one occasion, as a last resort, obtained a custom mandrel from Lee Precision.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
With the Lee Collet Neck Sizer, neck turning is less critical, IMO. There is no expander to pull a slightly asymmetrical neck crooked, the mandrel keeps is aligned.

Concentric ammo isn't that hard to achieve with this die, in fact this is about the slickest way to produce very good ammo with min. case prep.

But, I'm not a bench rest shooter...

DF

I agree, DF, neck turning is not that critical with the collet for concentric ammo. The main reason I turn the 22-250 necks is because I shoot those rifles the most...prairie dogs and assorted varmints.

With uniform necks, once the die is adjusted and the correct mandrel diameter, it is just about a one time deal and minimizes neck thickness variables of manufacture brand or lot numbers.

Last edited by roundoak; 01/14/16.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I turn some, like my 6.5-284.

But in most cases, these guns shoot better than I can hold them, just with simple reloading techniques.

I don't prep primer pockets, I throw charges with the Uniflow, don't weigh each one. I don't do a lot of trimming or annealing. But, I don't shoot thousands of rounds each year, either.

DF

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (117LBS, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,920
Posts18,518,786
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.