Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
I haven't hunted brown bear yet, but if I were to do so and use my 338-06, [a rebored pre-64 model 70] it would be loaded with either the 250 gr Swift A Frames at 2500, or the 210 gr Partitions at 2800, I would sincerely hope that would get it done in any situation that may occur.

How are you guys getting 2800 fps from a .338-06 with 210 PT, 24 inch barrel? I'm barely getting 2700 with mine, which has a 22 inch barrel.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Art that's a pile of venison!

They all look like fatties to me! Nice deer!

Billy, in the photo, was a very big guy, quarterback at UConn and pitcher, well over six feet and very broad. Those deer IIRC came from the West side of Kodiak, fairly far south. That is out of the trees and the deer are much larger out there than in the heavy forest.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
here is an easy shot from PB of the way we would handle boatloads of deer.

[Linked Image]

Crime scene for sure!

(You can always tell something's fishy when the hands and feet have been tampered with or removed. Thank God for DNA these days!)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We leave them like that for the whole hunt and skin and cut up in town. They are left on "stringers" over the side in saltwater. Very little meat touches the water and the blood is cleaned up nicely.

Makes it tougher for the Troopers to make a positive ID, for sure.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Like hanging them from rafter ends at a cabin! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by gunner500
I haven't hunted brown bear yet, but if I were to do so and use my 338-06, [a rebored pre-64 model 70] it would be loaded with either the 250 gr Swift A Frames at 2500, or the 210 gr Partitions at 2800, I would sincerely hope that would get it done in any situation that may occur.

How are you guys getting 2800 fps from a .338-06 with 210 PT, 24 inch barrel? I'm barely getting 2700 with mine, which has a 22 inch barrel.

Hey Teeder, H-380 is your friend with the 210's, and yes, my barrel is 24"s, let me know if you want the load recipe.

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
MuskegMan,

Here are some quotes from your posts on .338 bullets:

“180 or 210 TTSX. Run the 210 TTSX or 250 NPT in my Winny when gunning for Brownies.”

”73.o gr H4831SC with 250 partition.”

“I've captured quite a few .338/250 partitions in our Sitka BT's, so I doubt they'd pass thru a brownie. I'd want full penetration if at all possible. This leads you to the TSX/TTSX, or failsafe (good luck finding them).”

Not trying to argue. Just suspect you mis-typed when writing you've "captured" quite a few 210 Partitions in Sitka BT's, rather than 250's?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
"If" it were me I'd use the 250 NPT and a max. load of H-4895 in my HVA and get as close as I could and shoot him in the "grapefruit" as many times and as fast as I could, which is pretty fast w/the 6 rounds that would be in it (5 down and 1 up).-Muddy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We leave them like that for the whole hunt and skin and cut up in town. They are left on "stringers" over the side in saltwater. Very little meat touches the water and the blood is cleaned up nicely.

So you pull them around in the water for a few days? Am I reading that right?

If that is so it is an interesting way to keep them. I've always heard that you shouldn't wash game with freshwater because it spreads the bacteria around. I suppose salt water is different and up there it's probably cold enough to keep the meat very well.

Anything in the sea ever nibble on them?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I like the idea of using a 250 gr. bullet more than bullets in the 210-225 gr. range, for the greater penetration. Nosler makes a 250 gr. Accubond -- what do you think of that choice? I can drive it to 2500 fps.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by postoak
No one has addressed that, actually. If you were loading the .338-06, and .338 WM, and .340 Weatherby or even more powerful .338 of some kind, would your bullet choice differ?

I've captured quite a few .338/250 partitions in our Sitka BT's, so I doubt they'd pass thru a brownie. I'd want full penetration if at all possible. This leads you to the TSX/TTSX, or failsafe (good luck finding them).

MM: Not yanking your chain,,,, smile but am curious about this, since i've killed a substantial number of deer a lot bigger than any Sitka black tail with piss ant 270,7mm,and 30 caliber cartridges, Partitions ranging from 130 to 180 grains. I've had a hard time keeping them in the animals and have had the overwhelming majority exit on normal shots.

Also seen the 210-225-250 338's used on elk with pretty much the same results (210's recovered going pretty much lengthwise).

Are you guys shooting these deer lengthwise or something? The 250-338 has been successfully used on Cape Buffalo.

How many times have you seen this happen? If it's frequent I'd be concerned, too.

Having shot quite a few huge bodied Sitka bucks I think you seriously underestimate the weights on the biggest bucks...

I caught a 150TTSX in a SBT at 30 yards lengthwise. Found under the hide which suffered no damage. That's the only TSX I've caught in anything else I've shot with that.308...including Elk.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bellydeep

So you pull them around in the water for a few days? Am I reading that right?

If that is so it is an interesting way to keep them. I've always heard that you shouldn't wash game with freshwater because it spreads the bacteria around. I suppose salt water is different and up there it's probably cold enough to keep the meat very well.

Anything in the sea ever nibble on them?

Trying to type on a brand new laptop with Windows10 and hating every second of it!

I pull them in to cruise, but mostly we leave the boat in one spot and skiff around. We have left many in the water for over a week.

A river otter decided to claim one once... it will not be a mistake he can repeat... another guy anchored way too shallow and the sea lice hollowed a leg.

We did it the first time because we got some ridiculous cold and wanted to keep them from freezing. It worked so well it became SOP. Lots of people do it now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like the idea of using a 250 gr. bullet more than bullets in the 210-225 gr. range, for the greater penetration. Nosler makes a 250 gr. Accubond -- what do you think of that choice? I can drive it to 2500 fps.

I have seen a number of 338WM 210gr X bullets exit a huge Kodiak brown bear lengthwise.

I have seen 4 270gr Accubonds shot into a big Kodiak bear broadside and none made it through. And they did make 270gr Accubonds in 375 according to the folks at the Nosler booth at SHOT. I have yet to see an Accubond of any flavor make an exit wound. That is with a small sample of about 30-40 of them so far.

P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
That's excellent information Sitka. How did the bears react to the Accubonds that didn't pass through?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's excellent information Sitka. How did the bears react to the Accubonds that didn't pass through?

They died! wink

But, they had been shot first with the 270gr TSX first.

To be clear, my dissatisfaction with the Accubond is the fact I insist on complete penetration on brown bears. The downrange leak is generally bigger than the entrance leak and I want BP to drop ASAP and secondarily, failing that, I want a generous blood trail.

Bears are not big-boned, the bone is relatively soft, and muscle is pretty much all water. Bullets can find their way through bears pretty easily, IME.

That is not to say bear bones are not extremely tough and quite flexible. Bears evolved to withstand huge blows from other bears and a little give is probably critical to their survival. Bullets were not part of their R&D.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I were using my 338-06 on big bears it would likely be with a 210 or 225 Partition. If using the TTSX, I'd drop to 185. I think they kill a little better going faster and opening wider. In mine the 225s run a little over 2600. Just picked up some IMR 4451 to try with 210 Partitions.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Note: I contacted Hodgdon and they do have load data for IMR 4451 and the 338-06. Not yet in their online guide though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just curious has anyone seen a brownie live an unusually long amount of time on a lung shot?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just curious has anyone seen a brownie live an unusually long amount of time on a lung shot?

One of mine did; not an unusually long time,just typical for a lung shot animal under a full load of adrenalin,and long enough to travel (I dunno) maybe 75-80 yards. But in that time it was back in the alders and forest blowdowns.

They are fast....unbelievably fast....a blur. Far faster than we comprehend. And through heavy cover,too.They make a deer or elk look sluggish and slow by comparison and in those few seconds it takes for them to expire from a lung shot,they can get into knarly cover and that's where mine headed.

This happened because I was a dumb bear hunter,did not understand grizzly anatomy,and hit right where I wanted, which was too high on the first shot. I got lucky and got the second in the lungs. You have to hit them very precisely IME and with an eye to holding them where they are if you can.

Agree with Art that lots of blood on the ground is reassuring. I had a LOT from the375- 270 NPT,more than I had ever previously seen from an animal hit with a rifle.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I have seen a number of them live far longer than expected with significant lung damage.

In 2012 a friend killed a huge bear in Uganik Bay with me and we hit it repeatedly full length with 210gr TTSX from the 338WM and 270gr TSX from the 375AI. It is the single most ridiculous example of a tenacious animal I have ever seen. Punched through the center coming and going seven times with complete pass-throughs...

He was a really big bear... he was chasing a little piece of sow up the mountain and objected to our interest in their tryst...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 308ld, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.