Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It caught up to this guy....

http://www.gohunt.com/read/news/breaking-story-bull-elk-scam-DIY-backcountry-hunt-or-high-fence

Social media is the devil in this sport IMO. It's been a narcissists wet dream and too many people that want others to think that they are "in the know" post info up that wasn't theirs to post.

I rarely post pictures anymore. I enjoyed sharing it with friends, family and clients but this has gotten so out of hand I just don't want to ever be lumped in with some of those guys and I don't ever want these clowns to figure out what I'm doing or where I'm hunting

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't do social media period. I signed up for facebook many years ago, keep getting notices and stuff, went on it once, figured out how ignorant it is, and have no use for it....

Seems nice that it does soemthing good from time to time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, it's hard to say who's telling the truth from the "posts" put up on Instagram, and who's lying. That's one of the big bitches about social media.

But if Jeremie shot his elk on a high fence property and then tried to boast about it on social media being a free-range Wyoming elk, he deserves whatever schidt he gets on social media.

Don't make me no never-mind. I don't post dead animal pics on social media... it's just asking for trouble IMHO.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm on FB, with maybe 30-40 friends, who are either people I know, or family. I keep the page private, and even then I don't post trophy pics. I also keep a strong password, 12+ letters, numbers, upper & lower case, special characters, etc. that is hard to hack.

I do follow a few of the prominent celebrity hunters, and sometimes I'll post something supportive on their pages, then I'll get a friend request from some yahoo - someone I don't know at all. I suspect most the time, they are antis/trolls. I always delete those.

As far as posting something bragging, whether it's a hot chick or a dead animal, it's just tough to justify doing it on social media.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pathetic that someone needs their ego stroked that bad. I agree that the pics should be kept off social media for MANY reasons.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would like to see the other ear in this shot. Idaho requires that all captive game animals wear recognizable identification, visible from 50 yds, at all times so they can be distinguished from wild animals should they escape.

[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That guy was a joke even before all this chit came out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sad, sad indeed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well said, Drum

Living in the eyes of others...

Defend the Constitution
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
FWIW,

I did a hunt with Drummond last August. I've done ony two other "guided hunts". Why not" Well it's not more because I can not afford to hunt, rather I prefer DIY.

In this instance, I didn't do the hunt to kill an animal. I dropped the Benjamins for the hunt because I wanted to meet and hunt with Mr. Drummond Lindsey.

I was not disappointed. We got up at 4:30 in the morning and hunted till dark thirty for six days, on what was to be a five day hunt. DL is the consumate professional IMHO. One does not know he meaning of intense till he hunts with this guy!

Drummond would have gone a 7th day (which we discussed the night before I left),except I had to get back home due to an emergency. Two different times I said to Drummond, no, I'm not gonna do that. He respected that.

For my money, DL is the real deal, and if the opportunity arises, I will hunt with him again.

[Linked Image]

In my own country, I'm damn good at spotting game. There, I was in sand-box compared to Drummond.

[Linked Image]

These guys were probably 3/4 mile away. We were driving along on rough terrain, bouncing back and forth, and DL spotted these with the naked eye. The pix above was take with the equivalent of a 960mm lens.

Thanks to Drummond,

[Linked Image]

I got to see stuff that a flatlander from Texas seldom get's to see

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/15/16.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Geedubya is right. Drummond is the MAN when it comes to hunting guides!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by huntsonora
...this has gotten so out of hand I just don't want to ever be lumped in with some of those guys and I don't ever want these clowns to figure out what I'm doing or where I'm hunting

I agree 100%.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
huntsonora;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully this finds you all well and warm on this Friday night.

I appreciate you putting up the link and your thoughts on the social media issue.

As many here know I've been teaching the provincial Hunter Safety course here in BC for over 25 years and in the last couple of courses we've been adding a "social media" segment to the ethics night.

I could not agree more that some folks need to really think twice before putting up photos or videos of their hunts.

Thanks again sir for a timely reminder and all the best to you folks this year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like social media. Some folks are legit, and other folks just can't help themselves and they let everybody know that they are an idiot. Some very successful hunters are on there in my area, and it's cool to see pics of what they kill. We have a huge blacktail page, and some dandies get posted. I post pics from time to time. Wife posts lots of pics. It's really not much different than the campfire, except that you use your real name.

Here is one I posted yesterday from my day of fishing:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
It's really not much different than the campfire

True, because forums are social media as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Not according to rost, as he don't do no social media.... wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's all in how you justify spending time electronically conversing with others.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Not according to rost, as he don't do no social media.... wink

wink wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've never hunted with Drum (my loss), but I have met him a few times face to face, and can vouch for his character and knowledge. He is first rate, no BS.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The video of the kill was all kinds of suspect, plus he didn't have any blaze orange on...which is a direct violation of Wyoming state law.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 10 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 771 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.