Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kevinh1157
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
Our Director of Schools and School Board has adopted a program called PBS or Positive Behavior Support.

We give our students which are 7th and 8th graders paper money for acting and behaving in a positive way.

I understand the concept of Positive Parenting etc. The problem is that programs that start in middle school are too late. The ship has sailed.

It starts in the elementary schools. So students learn by the time they enter middle school that most of the time a lecture and phone call home is all that is going to happen when they misbehave.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad
What is needed is for students to fear

Good luck creating a school environment that's scarier than living in a ghetto. I'm sure the teacher's beating will be more severe than those doled out by coked up muggers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by seal_billy
What did he think was gonna happen? If you raise your kids to act like animals they will act like animals. How come jihad crazed goat [bleep] don't blow up places like that? That would be a public service.

Google "cultural pollution".

I used to copy paste this article here on the fire regularly.

The website was mind hyphen trek dot com.

Go find it.
Read it.
Post it here for me.

The author sizes things up nicely.

Thank you.
And, you're welcome.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tail_hunter
What is needed is for students to fear

Good luck creating a school environment that's scarier than living in a ghetto. I'm sure the teacher's beating will be more severe than those doled out by coked up muggers.

Excellent point.

Try getting some kid who has good reason to fear for his life on the way home to really give a rip out protons, neutrons and electrons.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone please post it.
I can't copy paste on this damned phone.

People need to read it.
NEED!

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Someone please post it.
I can't copy paste on this damned phone.

People need to read it.
NEED!

Cultural Polution

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is pictured here is exactly what is going on at schools of all sizes and localities. The degree of disrespect and irresponsibiliy will vary, but in all cases, it is "what is wrong with our schools". There is no magic program (contrary to what the companies selling them might try to say) or magic teaching method (again, contrary to what those making money by providing "in-circus" programs and their ilk) that is going to make one whit of difference. What is needed is for students to fear (yes, fear) the consequences of misbehavior, inattention, and failure to complete (to the best of their ability) assigned work. They need to learn that they need to shape themselves to fit "the mold" as best they can rather than expecting a personal mold to be made especially for them.

The teaching method is simple.
Not magic, just simple.

It's called discipline.

You, of all on here, should recognize the root word inside there...

Disciple.
Discipline.
See the connection?

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

The teaching method is simple.
Not magic, just simple.

It's called discipline.

You, of all on here, should recognize the root word inside there...

Disciple.
Discipline.
See the connection?

Add "consistency" to that formula...as a teacher I found that discipline *and* consistency made for a great classroom. It's a lot like being a parent: a ton of work; but it makes all the difference.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The pressure by the Feds to keep problem children in school is absolutely tremendous. These kids only poison the atmosphere for those kids who truly want to learn.

We need to get the Feds out of the school and stop talking about the civil rights of the "problem" children and start talking about saving those kids that are salvageable. They have civil rights too. Something the liberal intellectuals seem to forget while they are pandering to the poor and minorities.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
U
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
U
Part of the problem is no one wants to acknowledge that all students are not equal. It is unfair and detrimental to task a student, whose intellectual capacity was met in 8th grade, with spending another four years trying to get a high school diploma. They should be prepared to go to work at their capacity and start saving up for a down payment on a house and medical fees for having children. This puts them on a more level playing field with those that get a high school diploma or more. Even with a lower pay rate, they'd have cash in the bank or the market, whereas their smarter peers would be broke or in debt for student loans at the same age.

Making them waste themselves on high school puts them at a disadvantage compared to smarter peers because they cannot compete that way. Give them several years head start working.

And if they won't work then don't feed them or help them birth their babies.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Part of the problem is no one wants to acknowledge that all students are not equal. It is unfair and detrimental to task a student, whose intellectual capacity was met in 8th grade, with spending another four years trying to get a high school diploma. They should be prepared to go to work at their capacity and start saving up for a down payment on a house and medical fees for having children. This puts them on a more level playing field with those that get a high school diploma or more. Even with a lower pay rate, they'd have cash in the bank or the market, whereas their smarter peers would be broke or in debt for student loans at the same age.

Making them waste themselves on high school puts them at a disadvantage compared to smarter peers because they cannot compete that way. Give them several years head start working.
I've been saying the same thing for years.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think that most responses on this thread completely miss it.

If there are not two parents at home in the first five years of their life, then they are not going to have much of a life after that without extreme amounts of intervention.

Since almost none of them have intact nuclear family units, then they will have no good present or future prospects.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kevinh1157
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
Our Director of Schools and School Board has adopted a program called PBS or Positive Behavior Support.

We give our students which are 7th and 8th graders paper money for acting and behaving in a positive way.

I understand the concept of Positive Parenting etc. The problem is that programs that start in middle school are too late. The ship has sailed.

The problem is that these children are reflection of their parents who are just as bad or worse. It is impossible for school to overcome terrible parenting.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is very true. It is also true that it is not the responsibility of the schools to make up the deficiency at the expense of the other students, nor is it the job of the teachers to put up with the lack of respect that is shown to them.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One very good example of the nettles of the "Great Society" weeds planted by LBJ - nourished ever since by certain greedy (mostly Dem) politicians and witless liberals. But, they will be the last to acknowledge the outcomes of their work.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020

We need to get the Feds out of the school and stop talking about the civil rights of the "problem" children and start talking about saving those kids that are salvageable. They have civil rights too. Something the liberal intellectuals seem to forget while they are pandering to the poor and minorities.

From 1987 to 1991, I started & managed a joint venture in the automotive parts manufacturing business with a Japanese company.

I spent a fair amount of time in Japan & had several Japanese people in the plant reporting to me.

Over time, & sometimes after a fair amount of saki & beer, they would tell me that "the blacks are destroying your country".

Given the time interval & what's happened since that time, I'd say they were mostly right.

The influx of illegal Mexicans has simply made the situation worse.

YMMV or you may see thing differently...........

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

From 1987 to 1991, I started & managed a joint venture in the automotive parts manufacturing business with a Japanese company.

I spent a fair amount of time in Japan & had several Japanese people in the plant reporting to me.

Over time, & sometimes after a fair amount of saki & beer, they would tell me that "the blacks are destroying your country".

Given the time interval & what's happened since that time, I'd say they were mostly right.

The influx of illegal Mexicans has simply made the situation worse.

YMMV or you may see thing differently...........

MM

Pandering to the "problem children" in the school house is exactly what the "Great Society" programs are doing now and since LBJ and congress shoved it down our throats. Left leaning politicians are pandering to selected minorities for the votes and power and then sending the bill to working class Americans and telling us "it's good for America" that we do this. I'm not convinced.

What happens in Congress trickles down and affects America, mostly in a negative way. The Japanese outsiders you point out Montana Man got to see it from an objective point of view. (Outsiders looking in) I would venture to guess the same thing is now spreading out to the Millennials and those who have been displaced in the work place by cheap foreign labor, as well. Our future is looking bleak.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our future is looking bleak.

As with any problem, it has to be identified for what it is & called by that name, in order to fix it.

The worst thing in this country is allowing members of congress unlimited terms, appointing SCOTUS for life & allowing them to all become extremely rich as a result of being there.

They no longer represent either the people nor the will of the people.

And, obviously, they are afraid to exercise their power to restrain the executive branch.

MM

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
“Oh, they getting real tough around here now,” one student said. “Three hundred strikes, you out.”

grin

....and people think these kids are stupid.....

They are stupid, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a liberal which most teachers are. They game the system figuring they will make some money dealing or the government will give it to them. How smart do you have to be for that. If they weren't stupid they'd try to learn something so they can make a life for them selves. Most of these hood rats will end up in jail or the ground. I don't care if they end up in the ground...booo hoo. If they end up in jail we are paying for their lazy azzes.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Follow the money!
Birdy - what is a student worth, dollar-wise, to the SA school system?
Back when we pulled our daughter out (for 1 year, in the early '90's) she was worth almost 8 grand to the schools, IIRC!
I can't believe the price has gone down.
Boils down to $$$$$$. Hence we have let the students take over the asylum.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 3,268 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,542
Posts18,510,082
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.