Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
liliysdad,

If there were a viable market for them, there would be more choices available.

Let's see now. Didn't the fixed power come out first? If it was so desirable, it would have nominated the market when the variable first came out. It wasn't so it didn't. Simple as that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Ringman
liliysdad,

Let's see now. Didn't the fixed power come out first? If it was so desirable, it would have nominated the market when the variable first came out. It wasn't so it didn't. Simple as that.

I think we are saying the same thing....

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
OK, Ok...you guys have convinced me...variable is where it's at.

Not that I will be buying one anyway. I'm not a real big consumer anymore. I have 7 fixed scopes that will do just fine for all my rifles....I don't have a variable, but it's not like I didn't have them in the past...just find a fixed 6x works well for all my hunting in BC....as it would for any other place in the world.

B
bman940 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Spec's, You suggested a Nikon MONARCH 4-16 BDC scope to a buddy who then harvested to decent bulls at 350 and 525 yards and he doesn't like the circles? One why did he buy it then and 2, he's been pretty successful with it I would think he would be thrilled! Did he use Spot On, turn the turret or just hold over?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I could use a couple of say 4x16 AO/side focus scopes with the Nikoplex reticle and a low elevation turret. If I was given a scope with the bubble reticle it would go down the road so fast it wouldn't remember being here.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I just sold my Monarch 4x40 that I had on a 308. It made a really nice hunting rig.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If I could have got a thicker reticle in those Nikon 4x scopes I'd own 3 or 4.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by djp
Originally Posted by liliysdad

TO each their own, but the sales gap between fixed and variable speaks for itself.

Or does that speak to the lack of Fixed scopes available? Leupold makes them...SWFA...Weaver...Meopta...then a couple very high priced models. Not exactly flooding the market with choices.

I'm fine with the fact that you want yet another variable choice out the hundreds available....but there really isn't any reason for you to suggest that those that want more than 3-4 choices are fools.

The old fixed vs variable conversation is older than dust and about as useful.

I use both fixed and variable,depending on which rifle i pick up to hunt. This year I used a variable in Maine and Kansas. It worked swell in both places.

OTOH, I could as easily have used a fixed power on either buck without handicap or compromise.Would have been easy.

That variables win in sales means utterly nothing to me.I know what I like and what works for me and don't care what others like to use. That's up to them.

If fixed power scopes are such an enormous handicap you would not see experienced hunters/shooters like Johnny B, Phil Shoemaker,Stick,and Scenarshooter using them.

OTOH, there is nothing wrong with a good variable either.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/21/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My hunting partner is an active duty marine who shoots a Ruger 300 Win Mag that he is very familiar with but that he shot better with his previous scope that bit the dust right before the first elk hunt. In preparing for the hunts the Nikon was not as precise at longer ranges, 400 to 800 yards, as either of 2 Zeiss Conquests with a Z600 or a Z800 reticle.

He used the circles and made good lung shots but broke legs with the 2nd shot on one and first on the other. Both made it to the freezer and 2 for 2 on public land bulls is darn good. Circles probably wouldn't matter at 200 yards but it certainly does for me at over 300 and I believe it does for him.

The Hd5 Conquest in 3-15 is a much better scope and reticle for extended hunting ranges in my opinion.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd like to see a Nikon version of the Super Sniper from SWFA in a 6X and 10X....

if'n I'm not too late to the party here...

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I didn't answer the question on why the Nikon recommendation. We had about a week left before elk season and the Nikon was the most reliable scope in the magnification and price range he was OK with in the day he had to choose and buy the scope. I think the other option was a Burris 4.5-14.

B
bman940 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Not to late Sea. I'm passing item's along but a formal meeting to discuss all this info and other option's won't happen until after Shot Show.

Spec., Thank you for the details. Did your buddy use Spot On to dial in his load to the BDC reticle? I use a .300 Win and have harvested 7 deer the past 5 years at over 400 yards and 2 at just under 600 yards. I use a 200 yard zero and Spot On put all my shots in the boiler room for one shot stops.
Nikon does have a new scope that has just hit the market, MONARCH 5 with a 5X zoom with a BDC reticle or Nikoplex with a Custom Turret. Also the MONARCH 3 in FFP. Right now it's with a BDC reticle but I'm hoping we will see it with a mildot as well. From many of your comments that is something you are interested in from Nikon.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If fixed power scopes were as popular and desirable as some of you say there would be a lot more options. Scope companies are in business to sell what the consumer wants, and they want variable power scopes. They also want their scopes to look cool hence why you see all the "tactical" knobs on it also. If you don't give the consumer what they want you don't stay in business very long.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by reelman
They also want their scopes to look cool hence why you see all the "tactical" knobs on it also.

Form over function for most that buy tacticool gear.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
He didn't use spot on. First year was so rushed we sighted him 1.5 inches high at 100 then checked on rocks at 3,4&500 yards to test circles for accuracy - all OK. Tough first shot was perfect follow up shots not so much. When he was still walking toward private I broke his spine at 350 with a 300 Wby but he was a dead bull walking when we cut him up the heart,lungs off side shoulder had been toasted by the first shot.

The second hunt we practiced out to 1000 yards but mainly concentratedVon 4-600 yards where the shots would be tough but makeable for a good shot. The marine was outshot by 3 different old blind fat guys all with some kind of 300 mag with Zeiss instead of Nikon.

American Hunter has an add this month with the new Nikon but it doesn't seem tempting enough to buy with a Zeiss and varix3 still in the cabinet not mounted on anything.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
so what is nikon going to do?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
bman940 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
We will be meting after Shot Show,most likely late Feb/March where I will present all the info I have gathered and discuss what is a realistic possibility and what isn't. I think a lot of the information I have taken from threads have excellent potential for incorporation into a marketable scope. I think you will also be surprised at some of the new releaes Nikon has coming out too. A number of them fit right into some of the request's I read. Again, I can't thank all of you who took the time to provide solid suggestion's of scope's you would like to see form Nikon in the hopefully near future.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bman940
We will be meting after Shot Show,most likely late Feb/March where I will present all the info I have gathered and discuss what is a realistic possibility and what isn't. I think a lot of the information I have taken from threads have excellent potential for incorporation into a marketable scope. I think you will also be surprised at some of the new releaes Nikon has coming out too. A number of them fit right into some of the request's I read. Again, I can't thank all of you who took the time to provide solid suggestion's of scope's you would like to see form Nikon in the hopefully near future.

I am looking forward to seeing what they have to offer. Maybe if they are smart, the circles will fade off into the sunset and we'll never have to see them again.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
bman940 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Come on now, just because you are not a fan doesn't mean that there are not a lot of other folks out there who really like them. That is why we have choices. Some folk's just don't like the idea and have never tried them, I'm fine with that, use what work's best for your shooting needs. I hate to tell you this but Spot On and Nikon's BDC reticle will be around for a long time.
I do hope that Nikon will be able to come up with something to your liking, bsa.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by bman940
Some folk's just don't like the idea and have never tried them....

I've tried the reticle with the circles and I hate it, would never purchase one.

If Nikon insists upon using that as it's BDC reticle then it can get used to being a minor player in the market. You asked us what we liked and we told you, now you say "it'll be around for a long time". If that's what's offered for a BDC reticle from Nikon then I won't be purchasing one for a long time.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,928
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.