Print Thread
Hop To
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have two fairly decent 1896 Krag receivers and one original barrel. With just hand pressure the barrel will thread most of the way into one receiver but it barely clears two threads into the other. Is this variability normal with these receivers or is there an issue with one? Many thanks.

Last edited by S99VG; 01/19/16.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Remember, all those Krags were built with analog equipment which was state of the art then but woefully primitive by today's standards. Expect fit problems like that when their manufacturing tolerances stack up on you occasionally. (Assuming no imperfections in the threads of the second receiver.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks, that was part of my calculation I just didn't know how far tolerances should go before it becomes an issue. Could this mean I shouldn't use the barrel on the tight receiver or that it may have indexing issues on the loose one? Thanks again I appreciate your advice.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
One way to find out- try it. If when wrenching it into the tight receiver it gets ungodly tight way before indexing, stop and back out. The Krag receiver isn't as robust as "modern" ones, mainly because they were made from low carbon steel with a hard as sin carburized "skin"- they can crack if over stressed. I can't imagine you will have an issue though- as long as the threads are clean, uninjured, and lubed. As with any receiver it goes without saying, be sure to use a form fitting wrench.

I had a Krag receiver once that for some reason the gap in the split bridge wouldn't allow a bolt to pass through- by only a few thousandths. Rather than try to grind/file/stone those nasty hard surfaces (which would've also deprived it of the wonderful wear characteristics on those surfaces), I got the bright idea to spread it open a RCH with an oak wedge. You guessed it: the receiver cracked the whole length of the bottom trough/raceway. Lesson learned- Krag receivers crack, not bend. (Luckily I only had a couple bucks invested in that bare receiver.)

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Holy smokes, that sounds like the low number 1903 issue. Not to get OT, but it always amazes me how personal guys who shoot those rifles take it whenever you broach the subject. You'd think you just asked them to put on a pair of your old dirty skivvys or something. Like I said, they both are nice receivers but it sounds like I should find someone who knows their business for installing the barrel. Thanks again!

Last edited by S99VG; 01/20/16.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FWIW, a friend has just finished up a NICE prototype action wrench for the Krag receiver, and I think he's going to be doing a short run of investment cast ones to market.

I helped out with a little milling and Tig Weding, and can tell you that the Krag is NOT and easy action to properly grab aholt of !

Anyone wanting one of these things, PM me, and I'll put you in touch with him.

Greg

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
PM inbound.

As for the low# 1903 vs. Krag- same steel, essentially, and same carburizing (case hardening) essentially. The difference being the cartridges, and design of the two actions.

The gov't Krag cartridge was rated at no more than 40,000psi. When they upped velocity from 2000 fps (220 grain bullet) to 2200 fps they started getting reports in from the field describing cracked locking lugs. A change back to the 2000fps level made the problem go away. The M1903 cartridge operated at 10,000 psi, give or take, more than the .30-40.

I'm not up for yet another low# Springfield debate. Pros and cons on both sides of the argument.

The late Michael Petrov conducted a blow up test on a .30-40 Krag. He loaded progressively heavier charges of Bullseye pistol powder until it finally let go under a truly insane amount. We're talking around a 3X max load. The receiver ring shattered and the barrel split- but the bolt stayed in place. Had there been a human firing the gun, undoubtedly he would have suffered serious injuries, but the bolt wouldn't have blown back into his head. The funny thing was Michael had ground the single locking lug off of the bolt- the entire test having been done with just the safety lug holding things together.

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Bullseye! That certainly would convert your Krag into a pipe bomb. I've decided to use the receiver with the looser fit. I can hand tighten the barrel to a depth of one thread showing. Should this give the barrel a good enough bite into the receiver for proper indexing? I'm taking this job to a gunsmith so it will get done right, but it would be nice knowing if the barrel and receiver are a feasible combo. Thanks again.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,486 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,680
Posts18,493,876
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.