-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Milwaukie drill and hammer drill set. AWESOME! Also got the reciprocating saw for cutting pipe. Amazing amazing tools, use mine daily.

LOL

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Originally Posted by RHutch
Li-ion is the answer.
I have had excellent results from both Rigid and DeWalt.

They are spendy, and won't live as long as a cared for nicad.

True. But, a cared for Ni-Cad has to be cycled almost daily.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went with the Ryobi line. I have a drill, drill driver, spotlight, work light, LED lantern, sawsall, jig saw, blue tooth radio, and circular saw. Home Depot had a deal on two high capacity Li-ion batteries for $99, so now I have about 5 batteries and they seem to be lasting very well.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Li-ion is the answer.

I'd say every 2-3wks or so. Like I said, they loose about 1%/day so a 20% discharge with a recharge should give a decent service life without the cells sulfating.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Li-ion is the answer.

Actually it's better to run the batteries down all the way--they are only good for a finite number of cycles.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by pal

Actually it's better to run the batteries down all the way--they are only good for a finite number of cycles.

BS, that is what destroys them. Been using nicads for 30yrs and learned the hard way. When a drill motor bogs, it's past time to recharge, AFTER the battery cools off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" drill. Lithium Ion battery. By far the best cordless tools I have bought.

I'll pile on - this ^^^^^

I recently went through this same thing. Settled on Milwaukee for both drill and circular saw. Thinking I need the cordless jigsaw as well.........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" drill. Lithium Ion battery. By far the best cordless tools I have bought.

Started with a Fuel 1/4" impact and that flat created a new disease, almost no use for a compressor now.

Edit: I have 19.2v Craftsman that seems close to ten years old but there are a dead cell or two in the pack. I watched a bunch of videos on rebuilding the battery packs and have Tenergy sub-c's bookmarked to order, may be worth some research.

Last edited by RDW; 01/20/16.

Dave

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal

BS, that is what destroys them. Been using nicads for 30yrs and learned the hard way. When a drill motor bogs, it's past time to recharge, AFTER the battery cools off.

You're doing it wrong. But don't take my word for it.
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/what-the-heck-is-a-nicd-battery.html

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get a Makita Li-ion

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All my tools are 18v De Walt and I don't want to replace them. Am I stuck with De Walt Ni Cads or is there an upgrade that runs in them?

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i have used nothing but panosonic cordless drills for over 10 years now. in 10 years the batteries are finally getting weak.best tools i've ever had. the local tool man that does service on ever brand you can think of talked me into buying them. being a remodeling contractor i use them everyday. he said that back then they had way better batteries then anything else.i hate dewalt cordless drills for 2 reasons. the variable speed trigger in them takes off about twice as fast as my panasonic drills do andd you can easily run a screw bit thru your hand when tryin to start screws in anything hard.plus dewalt batteries suck they won't last half as long as panasonics do on one charge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yup ! ...i use mine /m12/m18 tools every day ...u can press the button on the battery and check the power left …BEFore u climb the ladder ....u can get the tools on ebay one at a time ..cheap to !!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters

I'll pile on - this ^^^^^

I recently went through this same thing. Settled on Milwaukee for both drill and circular saw. Thinking I need the cordless jigsaw as well.........
u do ....its great!! I use to be in retail for near on 20 years,been to all the trade shows...Milwaukee rep had the best take away line ever! ....sorry ,wee don't make home owner tools-industail only

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
I wasn't aware Rigid had a lifetime warranty

The warranty process gets mixed reviews from what I've read. Plenty on google about it.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of votes for lithium ion batteries. I find them useless in cold weather as they won't charge and their tendency of simply quitting without warning is a real bonus when you've just scaled a ladder and are holding a dozen screws in your mouth, a vent termination in your left hand and a drill in your right. Half a screw installed later and it's time to climb back down and get a different battery - if it hasn't been too cold for it to take a charge.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
All my tools are 18v De Walt and I don't want to replace them. Am I stuck with De Walt Ni Cads or is there an upgrade that runs in them?

There are options-

link

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Li-Ion are you friends. I charge mine up and they can sit for weeks and are ready to go. I got so fed up with Nicad tools that I went out and bought a new Porter Cable 20v Li-Ion set....problem solved. They will die suddenly without much warning but my drill has a battery life indicator.

I am at that point. My old DeWalt 18V niCad set up has given good service, but to buy two new batteries is more than I want to spend on old tech.
Looking at the 20 volt lithium outfit

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Li-Ion are you friends. I charge mine up and they can sit for weeks and are ready to go. I got so fed up with Nicad tools that I went out and bought a new Porter Cable 20v Li-Ion set....problem solved. They will die suddenly without much warning but my drill has a battery life indicator.

I am at that point. My old DeWalt 18V niCad set up has given good service, but to buy two new batteries is more than I want to spend on old tech.
Looking at the 20 volt lithium outfit

Home Depot has a promo going till end of the month. Buy certain Milwaukee, dewalt or makita sets and get up to $150 in free accessories or bare tools.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
if anyone has milwaukee 18volt drills and would like a port-a-band that uses the same battery i have a like new one with the hardcase that i'd sell for 125.00 plus shipping. thats half price.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,040 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,597
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.