Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Lenz
Every day I dream of buying another rifle , another caliber . I eat and sleep rifles
I can only hunt whitetail deer where I live so I don't need anymore than I already have and don't need those. I have been taking the same rifle hunting for 25 years now even on the exotic hunts I go on the same rifle ( Dr Death ) Rem 700 7mmSTW . I had it built before it was a production rifle . I have killed so much with it I lost count , I have more than I need but I want more. Yes I'm sick ! Anyone else have this addiction? Lol

I feel your pain. If I only had a Remington 700 and hunted it for the last 25 years, I'd be dreaming and lusting for another rifle too. I'm glad I don't have that problem... Try buying a better rifle next time... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I have it too. You will not find help in this forum. I have every hunting cartridge that I would ever need. But now, lightweights are appealing! Got my first Montana in 7mm08. And tomorrow, my Kimber Mountain Ascent in 30-06 will arrive! It's a good sickness, and welcome to the fire.

L
Lenz Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have two grandchildren and one on the way . The oldest 3 and yes the have their first 22 and 243 . Give me some more grandchildren. Not to mention . I have a daughter 20 a son 18 a daughter 4 and a son 3 months old. Late ones ! Plenty of reasons to keep buying !

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't have that problem. A few years ago I decided I had too damn many guns around and sold off a bunch. I was simply tired of having guns standing in every corner, slid under the couch, under the bed etc.. I cut down to where I have a few good, dependable, accurate performers that will handle any hunting I'll ever do and don't really care to have more.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
My problem is that half the enjoyment is the research and pursuit of a certain gun (my wife calls it obsessive) and then after getting it I have to do it again!

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by pacecars
My problem is that half the enjoyment is the research and pursuit of a certain gun (my wife calls it obsessive) and then after getting it I have to do it again!

Yea, I have a few guns that I spent considerably more time researching why I needed to own/build it than I spent shooting them. I enjoy the quest as much as I do actually shooting or owning them sometimes. Reading about, researching, comparing and daydreaming about rifles consumes a fair amount of my time. I just sent the parts off for a 6.5x47 build yesterday. This is the third "last build" that I have done.

I am trying to focus on spending more time on shooting and hunting with what I have. I recognize I have a problem. That is the first step, right?

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JB, you do know that a lot of the blame for this sickness is your fault. You are the one who is always writing books about rifles and hunting which always seems to stir something in our thoughts and our subconscious. After all, you even named the ailment.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Every day I dream of buying another rifle , another caliber . I eat and sleep rifles
Yes I'm sick ! Anyone else have this addiction? Lol

No, I'm selling off rifles and other crap I don't need.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
keep making the kids and keep buying guns. awesome. i support you you in your strategy. ron

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Quality over quantity.

Quality and quantity.

This is what I have settled into. Yes, I buy a lot and sell a few, but I am always looking to upgrade.

As someone once said, "only accurate rifles are interesting".

I have a passion for Pre '64 Model 70 Winchesters and have more than a few lightweights for mountain hunting, but I still keep an eye out for some Customs.

Yes, please feel free to call us "rifle loonies". It is very appropriate.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The "campfire" should have a rifle rental service to try new stuff with an option to buy until the next "new" rifle itch sets in.

Doc

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I am confused over this quality/quantity thing.

Among the last few dozen rifles I've acquired there's been a very nice Sauer drilling in 6.5x57R/16x16 (with a .22 Magnum Rimfire insert for one shotgun barrel), a New Ultra Light Arms .257 Weatherby, a Jack O'Connor Model 70 Commemorative with above-average wood even for that model, and a Winchester 1886 in .33 WCF. But in between there have also been several "affordable" rifles, the models including the Ruger American, Savage Axis and Thompson/Center Venture.

I like all of them, though some more than others. Is this a sickness or merely what PC people call "inclusiveness"?

John

The word you are looking for is "diversity"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can only hunt whitetail deer where I live so I don't need anymore than I already have and don't need those. I have been taking the same rifle hunting for 25 years now even on the exotic hunts I go on the same rifle ( Dr Death ) Rem 700 7mmSTW . I had it built before it was a production rifle . I have killed so much with it I lost count , I have more than I need but I want more. Yes I'm sick ! Anyone else have this addiction? Lol

not really. Instead I think about the last hunt and the next hunt and hunts gone before and hunting with my daughters and sons-in-law and hunting with my grandchild, who I think turns 20 this month. (That's 20 months, not years.) And, of course, hoping for more grandkids to come...

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/20/16.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Quality over quantity.

Yes.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
I can think of worse things to be addicted too so stop fighting your compulsion and embrace it like the rest of us! grin ...................Hb

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Originally Posted by deflave

Switch to handguns for awhile.

Travis

I've switched to handguns several times.

Last year I bought a lightweight rifle, a lightweight shotgun and an uber-tactical 9mm pistol.

Diversity is key, that and reloading has become a bore so it's nice to just buy a case of shotgun shells or a few boxes of cheap pistol ammo.

Spotter upgrade for 2016 and that's it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I am so tired of rifles.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steelhead - "I am so tired of rifles." Have you tried slingshots yet? Homesteader

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its easy to see how 30-06's make a come back. All the fun of a new rig wears off as soon as its dialed in and there's no "problem" to solve.

Hence the hatred for Tikkas.

I'm more interested in standard schit these days to the point where a 260 might be a wildcat.

Hello JV team. Less is more.

In the midst of setting up a lowly PF 270 and plan to only run factory fodder until it doesn't perform and I need to handload.

Aint holding my breath either.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken_L
Someone needs to come up with a twelve step program.

Twelve more rifles?

I "need" a Browning SA22, a .243 to replace the one I gave away, an optics-ready Glock 10mm, and one of those Stoeger shorty O/Us with sights and rails. And maybe a lever action.

Then I'm done. Really.

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/20/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,100
Posts18,483,097
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.