Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RDW
Only a bargain when the lazy a$$ knuckle draggers deliver the mail to the correct address and put oversize packages on the porch rather than on top of the mail box at the street.

Maybe they are trying to say you need a much larger mailbox. grin

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
The only way its a deal if say your shipping bullets or small but heavy things, I shiped a hat yesterday, and was hit with it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For someone like me, the USPS is really convenient. We live out in the country, and due to health issues, I can't always make the drive to town if I need to mail something. But they will deliver shipping boxes for free. I can print postage online. And they'll pick up the packages. And our local mail carriers are super.

It's too bad their scanning/tracking system is no better -- or more accurate. A package I was expecting was shown to have left San Antonio yesterday evening, which meant it would be here and be out for delivery today. But that "departed San Antonio" scan was then deleted and replaced with one showing a departure this morning instead. And items going through the North Houston hub can sit for several days before moving again -- with original scans then disappearing and updated "arrival/departure" scan information soon to follow. But they do get the packages delivered, and for that I can't complain.

When it comes to receiving anything, FedEx has been super, and their current driver is about as predictable as the best in Swiss clockwork. She always arrives during a certain time period and never just throws our packages out in the ditch or near the gate 1/4th mile from the house (at night, no less!) as some UPS drivers have done. And if no one is home, FedEx places the package in a secure area and basically weather-proofs it before leaving it, too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm thinking I'll vacuum seal my items and then use SAND to fill the extra space in the box.....make them earn their money. laugh

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by savage24
I'm thinking I'll vacuum seal my items and then use SAND to fill the extra space in the box.....make them earn their money. laugh

Good idea. Let's all do that.

LOL
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I shipped a few small flat rate boxes last year with 22# of lead ingots in them. One from Michigan to rural Oregon. Post office said it would have been like $25 without flat rate.

If you buy the postage on Paypal, the small boxes are $6.10

Last edited by KenMi; 01/22/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've made two orders with Roto-Metal who will ship the max weight in a priority mail medium box, something like 70 pounds IIRC.

Second time around the mail carrier said she knew it was me when she loaded the box into her truck prior to going out on her route. wink

For pricing, one really needs to compare. USPS flat rate is obviously a great deal if your item will fit. Once you get up into a large box then it's kind of 50-50 whether FedEx would be cheaper or not. I just packed some stuff to mail and USPS flat rate was $13.85 while FedEx was $14.05 to the same place. If the item wouldn't have fit into the flat rate box then FedEx would have beat the next larger flat rate box by a good bit.

If it's a small, light item, standard parcel post will often be the best bet and beat even small flat rate box.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BB3 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it just on the flat rate boxes or does it also apply to the boxes you use yourself?

Last edited by BB3; 01/22/16.

"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean."

-Sir Isaac Newton
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The news stated that all carriers went up on price but USPS was the lowest percentage increase.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd rather USPS would go with a 500+% on that @#&m bulk mail. It appears that's what most of their mail deliveries are.

I get a kitchen wastebasket full of that crap every week! With this being an election year, it will only get worse.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Gub'ment run. Enough said.

Actually, the fiscal problems got worse when it QUIT being strictly "Gub'ment run"...........

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
REALLY? Which Postmaster are You?

Originally Posted by Brazos
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Gub'ment run. Enough said.

Actually, the fiscal problems got worse when it QUIT being strictly "Gub'ment run"...........

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=knivesforme]REALLY? Which Postmaster are You?

Not a Postmaster, simply an informed taxpayer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by broomd
Fed ex ground is an absolute joke where we live, Express is decent.. UPS is very expensive comparably.
USPS gets it done...beats driving my package where it needs to get, and our mail lady even puts our packages (even large ones) right on our very rural box. Kudos.

I'll pay it.

Yep, me too.

Went in the other day to mail a medium flat rate package and the postal guy behind the counter got all serious and said, "I need to let you know about the price increase." Here I'm thinking it's gonna be several dollars or something like that. When he told me I laughed and said "I think I can handle it." Especially when there was about 15 lbs in the package and it was going 2500 miles... He said some people were down-right pissed though.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
knivesforme,

Brazos is right. The USPS hasn't been a Cabinet-level government agency since 1971. Instead it's supposedly an independently-run company, but still can be jerked around by Congress, which may be the worst of both worlds. Every time the USPS tries to fix problems, somebody gets upset and contacts their senator and congressman.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If you order on-line REGIONAL RATE BOXES... you can save a few bucks if shipping in the same time zone +/-.

REGIONAL RATE BOXES cannot be picked up at your local USPS... THEY MUST BE ORDERED FREE from the USPS.

If shipping East Coast to West Coast there is no savings, but Virginia to NC or OH... it will save you $2 or $10 dollars.

AGAIN... REGIONAL RATE BOXES MUST BE ORDERED FREE from the USPS... on-line only under "Shipping Materials" or something like that.

Last edited by CashisKing; 01/22/16.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Believe there's only been one other increase with the flat rate system since they started it in 2007, and it's still a lot better deal than UPS or FED-Ex... not to mention that most times flat-rate goes by air and is delivered with in 2 or 3 day's.

The additional hike is probably going to be used for new scanning machines so that they can catch all of you that are shipping restricted items such as ...... ammo!

Phil

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The cost to ship a box is tolerable, but their insurance is a fuggin ripoff.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
If you order on-line REGIONAL RATE BOXES... you can save a few bucks if shipping in the same time zone +/-.

REGIONAL RATE BOXES cannot be picked up at your local USPS... THEY MUST BE ORDERED FREE from the USPS.

If shipping East Coast to West Coast there is no savings, but Virginia to NC or OH... it will save you $2 or $10 dollars.

AGAIN... REGIONAL RATE BOXES MUST BE ORDERED FREE from the USPS... on-line only under "Shipping Materials" or something like that.

Thanks, I wondered where they went. I've used the regional rate boxes several times in the past and saved some bucks over regular priority mail flat rate, but the last couple of times when I went to the Post Office they didn't have them.

Will have to order a few to keep around.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Is this the free classified section?

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1234, 63 invisible), 17,641 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,898
Posts18,538,697
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.