Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hmm... I'll bet I came to a full stop on the interstate 10 times this evening on my 11 mile commute home from work in 5 o'clock traffic. I wonder if there is a way to disable this BS so it does not burn out the starter or wear the teeth off of the flywheel?

CARS
Ford adds engine shutoff tech to top-selling F-150 pickup

Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

In a huge boost to a gas-saving technology, Ford said Thursday that it plans to equip all of its F-150 pickup trucks with turbocharged engines with technology that shuts off their engines at stoplights.

The so-called start-stop technology then automatically restarts the engine as soon as the driver presses the gas pedal.
The move is significant because Ford's F-150 is the nation's most popular vehicle — car or truck — and the new technology will be applied to about 60% of its lineup. It will even go on the most brawny version, the Raptor, the new version of which was just unveiled at the Detroit auto show earlier this month.
It marks yet another move by Ford to improve its trucks' gas mileage. The most radical was shifting from steel to aluminum for the truck bodies, a move that saved up to 700 pounds. Plus, Ford is focused on trying to maintain the pickups' sales momentum. While it was easily tops again last year with 780,354 pickups sold, a 3.5% increase, it's feeling some heat from General Motors, maker of the Chevrolet Silverado, Autodata says. GM sold 600,544 Silverados, up 13.4%.
Start-stop will be a feature added to the trucks' EcoBoost turbocharged engines, V-6s that produce enough power to match or exceed the old V-8s with greater gas savings.
“EcoBoost already powers F-150’s best-in-class towing,” said Doug Scott, Ford truck group marketing manager. “Now, with every EcoBoost-equipped F-150 mildly electrified with standard Auto Start-Stop technology, customers’ fuel efficiency is expected to improve as well.”
Start-stop — also called stop-start — has come to many cars across lots of brands as an inexpensive way to try to help meet tightening federal fuel economy standards. The drawback is that sometimes the engine restarts in a jarring way, which can be disconcerting to some drivers.
Ford says it will work on its trucks in most kinds of driving except when towing or in four-wheel-drive mode.

Copyright Gannett 2016

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That should really work out well when crawling over rocks or rocking to get unstuck in snow.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They are all going to it. Another Obama gift that will keep on giving after that POS is out of office.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Works great in Ez-Go carts.

I can imagine how this
"The drawback is that sometimes the engine restarts in a jarring way, which can be disconcerting to some drivers."

will work for some of the drivers we have out there, who aren't paying attention in the first place.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stuff like this drives used truck prices up.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No thanks. But that's my standard answer to anything Ford.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
That should really work out well when crawling over rocks or rocking to get unstuck in snow.

RC,

you seem to be forgetting we are supposed to stop doing that fun stuff and go live in the city. They were discussing this on the "no spare tire" thread.

You're ready for that, no? wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I really hope that this "technology" is advanced enough to recognize a stoplight or it tracks the other systems in the vehicle to recognize when it is in stop and go traffic?
Who knows. Like so much media these days, the article I shared is long on words but short on useful information.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by savage24
Hmm... I'll bet I came to a full stop on the interstate 10 times this evening on my 11 mile commute home from work in 5 o'clock traffic. I wonder if there is a way to disable this BS so it does not burn out the starter or wear the teeth off of the flywheel?

CARS
Ford adds engine shutoff tech to top-selling F-150 pickup

Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

In a huge boost to a gas-saving technology, Ford said Thursday that it plans to equip all of its F-150 pickup trucks with turbocharged engines with technology that shuts off their engines at stoplights.

The so-called start-stop technology then automatically restarts the engine as soon as the driver presses the gas pedal.
The move is significant because Ford's F-150 is the nation's most popular vehicle — car or truck — and the new technology will be applied to about 60% of its lineup. It will even go on the most brawny version, the Raptor, the new version of which was just unveiled at the Detroit auto show earlier this month.
It marks yet another move by Ford to improve its trucks' gas mileage. The most radical was shifting from steel to aluminum for the truck bodies, a move that saved up to 700 pounds. Plus, Ford is focused on trying to maintain the pickups' sales momentum. While it was easily tops again last year with 780,354 pickups sold, a 3.5% increase, it's feeling some heat from General Motors, maker of the Chevrolet Silverado, Autodata says. GM sold 600,544 Silverados, up 13.4%.
Start-stop will be a feature added to the trucks' EcoBoost turbocharged engines, V-6s that produce enough power to match or exceed the old V-8s with greater gas savings.
“EcoBoost already powers F-150’s best-in-class towing,” said Doug Scott, Ford truck group marketing manager. “Now, with every EcoBoost-equipped F-150 mildly electrified with standard Auto Start-Stop technology, customers’ fuel efficiency is expected to improve as well.”
Start-stop — also called stop-start — has come to many cars across lots of brands as an inexpensive way to try to help meet tightening federal fuel economy standards. The drawback is that sometimes the engine restarts in a jarring way, which can be disconcerting to some drivers.
Ford says it will work on its trucks in most kinds of driving except when towing or in four-wheel-drive mode.

Copyright Gannett 2016

"disconcerting" to drivers huh.... So is the electronic power assist steering when it goes out too... One of fords better ideas I take it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My wife's recently acquired Audi has it but, fortunately, also has a disable button. I have played with it and it works fine but I do not see the need and it is "spooky" when engine shuts off.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How about one that shuts off when you answer your cell phone?

What fresh Hell is this?
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
How about one that shuts off when you answer your cell phone?

That's probably next.

They already have self-parking.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Article says disabled when towing. Leave truck in tow/haul or plug a dummy plug into the tow plug to trick the truck into thinking it is always towing. How do they keep the oil from draining down and causing premature wear? Light turns green and you jam on the gas, racing away from a stop with an engine that started 0.5 seconds ago. Sounds like a recipe for trouble all the way around.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
There'll be a way to disable it. I have a car that does that, had to pay to get it disabled. It was cute for the first ten minutes or so then I decided it was a pain in the azz. Just like all the seat belt buzzers, automatic door locks, etc. There'll be a way to disable it but it'll cost you.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'll bet it's trouble free and cheap to fix in the off chance of it malfunctioning.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife's 2015 f150 with the 2.7 eco boost has it and their is button you hit on the dash right next to the emergency flasher button to disable it.. It is wierd sitting at a stop light and the truck is off..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our Volvo does that. It has a button you can push to cancel it. My wife has no problem pushing the button, so I suspect some of you will have no problem as well.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Wonder how much gas it saves?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For years they've said you burn more gas restarting than you would letting it idle at stop lights. Just like Global Warming, it used to be "the New Ice Age" was going to be our impending doom. .gov doesn't know their a zz from a hole in the ground. Now their pushing products nobody wants.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Fugg, I don't even like the traction control that limits spin by cutting engine power....

Christ who designs these vehicles

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 49 invisible), 13,855 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,223
Posts18,543,875
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.