Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Azar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone with a Ruger M77 Hawkeye switch out the spring with a lighter one from Ernie the Gunsmith. If so, how well did it work out for you?

I don't own a trigger pull gauge and I don't mess with triggers enough to bother buying one. I'm thinking of simply replacing the spring myself rather than taking it to a local smith. I'd just like some feed back on how well you liked the newer spring in a Hawkeye and if your trigger needed additional work beyond that?

Thanks.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
HR IC

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I polished the parts on my Hawkeye trigger with Mothers and a Dremel then clipped about 1/2 of a coil off and it came out great.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I put one in and it made just enough difference to no longer be an issue... A cheap and easy improvement.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Most hawkeye triggers break clean and are just a bit heavy, the trigger spring will help with that for not much cost. It will take a pound or two off, it won't be as light as say a timney can be adjusted to, but better than factory. its worth the $10 or so they cost.

If your trigger has creep, then I would either find a smith, or timney it.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I put one in and it made just enough difference to no longer be an issue... A cheap and easy improvement.

It worked for me as well. An easy upgrade.

IC B2

Azar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Having never done it before, any tools required to just replace the spring?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Azar
Having never done it before, any tools required to just replace the spring?

No, take longer to take it out of the action that it does to replace the spring.

With a light touch, you can polish up the trigger a bit while you're in there.

Life is just one damned thing after another
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Glad to see your avatar is BACK.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Go down to you local true value or ace hardware and buy a spring for 50 cents... Much easier than messing with ordering a $7.00 spring online from ernie.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My Hawkeye has the 2-stage, so is okay as is, but used one on my 77/22 to good effect. Not as good as the Timney kit, but good enough and much cheaper and quicker. Also much better than the Wolffe spring. The same spring works in the simple trigger on my 1948 FN as well.

Given a little time and enough treats, I think I could show my Lab how to do it; well my wife anyway.

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/25/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned a bunch of Mark II's and Hawkeyes over the years and all have benefited from either a spring change or spring modification; however all of them had too much creep for my liking. Creep can only be corrected by a little work on the sear, but it's not hard to do with a good Arkansas stone and a little patience.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I put Ernie's springs in both of my Hawkeyes. Noticeably better, and worth the cost. I don't have a gauge, but the triggers are no longer an issue.

Azar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Go down to you local true value or ace hardware and buy a spring for 50 cents... Much easier than messing with ordering a $7.00 spring online from ernie.

From your post it sounds as if you have done exactly this. How much of a difference did this make from the factory spring and do you by chance have a part #?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,846
Posts18,496,943
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.