Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
Cool pictures Charlie. Owls are interesting birds for sure. I hope your owl sticks around.

Me too.....I'll put one box on the tree he living in and another down here by the house.....

If I saw a flock of Owls I'd consider changing pipe tobacco... smile

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Certainly a saw-whet owl, the nighttime call of these things is one of my favorite bird sounds... cool

Thanks Birdie.....I've heard that sound but never dreamed it was coming from an Owl.....

Definitely a Saw-whet.....

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by k20350
Opening day of deer season...... I was sitting on a log just after dawn watching the squirrels run around. Out of G'damn nowhere the biggest owl I have ever seen just jacks a squirrel about 10 yards from me. Hell with an eagle on TV catching a fish that owl OWNED that squirrel. One of the coolest things i have ever bared witness too. I'll never forget the sound of his wings and the squirrels death cry. Nature is a bitch when your low on the food chain...

A buddy of mine, avid yotie hunter, told me few years ago about an owl kill he witnessed.
Standing against a tree calling and this cottontail busts out of cover through the snow. This big horn owl came out of nowhere and center punched him.
He ran over for a better view and the owl flew away.
Curiosity took over. He dissected it.
Spine was broken at the shoulders and it had 5 holes in its heart.

He said "that's accuracy. That's efficient killing. Owls have 8 talons, you do the math."

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
probably suck if he grabbed your head, too!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He also mentioned the size of a rabbit's heart.

Something to think about.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Anyone know why the Mexican people are so superstitious about owls?
I burned a barn once, and almost lost my crew when a Great Horned flew out!
I'd like to know the story.

Evidently some owls that nest in hollow cavities in trees can become luminous from a fungus in the tree wood. In effect, they glow in the dark. Think of an owl face like the Barn Owl has...

Ol Pedro has been tipping a few tequila drinks down at the cantina. As he is staggering home down a dusty dirt road after dark he suddenly sees this glowing apparition owl face floating soundlessly through the night. The stuff of legends... smile

Last edited by MOGC; 01/27/16.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ok as it was told to me,

In the old days before humans walked the earth owl was the messenger of the Great Sun who oversaw the earth. Anytime the Great Sun wished to send a message to the animals on the earth, Owl would bring the message to them. And vice versa, owl would bring questions and messages to the Great Sun for the animals as well.

As time went on Owl became pretty confident in his abilities. Over confident. With many questions being asked but the animals of the Great Sun, he felt it not necessary to confide these questions to him. His reasoning was like " I know how the Great Son would answer this question, so I won't bother him. I'll just answer it myself!" Not realizing that each animal may require a different answer to fit his particular needs.

So as time progressed the Great Sun was not receiving as many messages and questions as he was in the past. he approached Owl about this and owl confided his reasons. Upon hearing this the Great Sun chastised Owl for his arrogance and said "henceforth you will only deliver one message to the animals on earth and that will be the message of death!" "And furthermore they will not hear your approach as you will deliver the message silently!"

And to this day when the Owl flies he is silent as he delivers his message!!

That is the story the old folks tell.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,197
Posts18,524,088
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.